The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 June 2013, 09:20 AM   #1
takumee
"TRF" Member

Service dial

I love my current 1666 vintage dial and hands.

However, I would want it to be my daily beater and my bad experience with my 1680 is the hands lume dropped off maybe due to rough handling or knock onto something..

I would not want the same to happen to my 1665..

That said, I have checked and have read it is not wise to send to Rolex for they will sure keep the old dial..

However, other than Rolex to get the service dial and hands, where else can I get one and send to my trusted watch man for a swap?

Thanks

takumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2013, 01:10 AM   #2
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by takumee View Post
my bad experience with my 1680 is the hands lume dropped off maybe due to rough handling or knock onto something..
It's normal, though unfortunate, for a piece of tritium to flake off during a service, etc. To address this concern, you may want to look into getting the hands "sealed" by Bob Ridley, etc.

Quote:
I have checked and have read it is not wise to send to Rolex for they will sure keep the old dial..
You can specify not to replace the old dial and hands, and they will leave them alone. However, you will not receive any service parts this way. And, Rolex does not offer a hand-sealing service.

Quote:
other than Rolex to get the service dial and hands, where else can I get one and send to my trusted watch man for a swap?
Sounds like the best option for your needs would just be checking the FS section of this and the other forum, and eBay, and then sending it down to Rik or Bob. Good luck!

Last edited by powerfunk; 5 June 2013 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: typo
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2013, 03:47 AM   #3
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
It's normal, though unfortunate, for a piece of tritium to flake off during a service, etc. To address this concern, you may want to look into getting the hands "sealed" by Bob Ridley, etc.

You can specify not to replace the old dial and hands, and they will leave them alone. However, you will not receive any service parts this way. And, Rolex does not offer a hand-sealing service.

Sounds like the best option for your needs would just be checking the FS section of this and the other forum, and eBay, and then sending it down to Rik or Bob. Good luck!
X2 and try ABC Watchwerks If closer to LA.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse spelling, punctuation, and brevity.
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2013, 12:33 PM   #4
takumee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post

will this affect the value of the watch?
also rogh cost estimate?

enquired Rolex and they mention they will not be held liable for any dial or hands damages during the overhaul process which is why they recommend to change the dial and hands.

not easy to find one service dial, a used dial is more easily available.

seems to me the only option is to get a relatively cheap damaged dial and hands, get it swapped and send to Rolex for the new replacements..

takumee is offline   Reply With Quote