The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 June 2013, 04:08 AM   #61
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Mark, good I'm sure in the long run your wife's happiness is a priority(and I imagine you also feel this way), since she works hard just like you, and this way she can enjoy her favored possessions. When all is said and done...happiness is the most important factor to be considered.....life is too short...and stay out of the FOR SALES SECTION!!! Lol!!!

Time to go out and water the Gardens!!!
Take care.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2013, 04:40 AM   #62
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
well, it's very easy:

If you keep in mind how gold alloys are being done, they are melting metal grains (in the size and shape of a rice grain) in an oven.

14 ct. gold means that 58,5% of the weight contents of fine gold grains (999,9% gold)
the remaining 41,5% of the weight comes from copper grains, silver grains and so on.

Problem is that one finegold-grain weights more than double of a silver grain or a copper grain.

So what you are seeing are very few gold grains that weight a lot and many more other grains which are not that heavy.
So, physically only 33% of all grains are gold, 67% are other materials.

Now an alloy reacts by the chemical (volume) contents in terms of stability, tarnishing, elasticity and allergies - no matter of the specific weight.

And therefore my claim, that 585/- gold chemically contents of roughly 33 (volume)% fine gold.

BTW, the ratio with a 750/- gold alloy is finegold a bit more than 50% (volume) and that's exactly the reason why many countries only regard alloys from 750/- (18ct) and higher to be a true gold alloy.

Hope that this was understandable, could better explain it in german but that won't help much here ;)
I'm sorry but I beg to disagree with your explanation of how gold is made. The Karat percentage is a ratio against 24K which is pure gold. So 14K is .583% pure gold. You divide 14 by 24 and it comes out .583% regardless of the metals added such as silver or copper. These are the standards which are set up here in America and elsewhere in the World.

And if you say that 14K is only .33% pure gold(which works out to 8K)I'll buy all you can get and sell me of your 14k gold at 33%. And I'll include my good friend a coin shop owner and our wives in on the deal and when we are in Monte Carlo sipping ice tea at our favorite Restaurant...we will toast to our good fortune and invite you over for drinks and dinner!!!

I apologize to you for the joke/pun but please recheck your facts as once again 24k is pure gold. Now I could be wrong and maybe gold percentages are different in Europe or where you live. But I know for a fact that at the coin shop when a gold bracelet, ring or necklace is brought in to sell we test the item for the gold content and if it is 14K or 18K no matter where on the item we check, it still will test positive for the proper amount or percentage.....

Take care and have a nice day.....Leo

Old 21 June 2013, 04:57 AM   #63
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
well, I know EXACTLY what I am talking about.
And the gold law is all the same -Europe, USA, ASIA, Australia etc.

14 ct. gold alloys consist of 58,5 WEIGHT% of finegold, but only 33 VOLUME% of finegold in the alloy because of the higher specific weight of finegold.

For all physical and chemical properties, the VOLUME of the content rules and not the WEIGHT.

I am sure Mark as a dentist (who works with gold) can confirm that I am right ;) or ask your friend the coin shop owner - hope that he knows a little about gold alloys.

And if you are also working in the coin shop - you never learn too much ;)

You also have a nice day and best wishes ;)
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2013, 05:10 AM   #64
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

P.S. maybe you trust wikipedia more than me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carat_(purity)

"For example, knowing that standard 18-carat yellow gold consists of 75% gold, 12.5% silver and the remaining 12.5% of copper (all by weight), the volume of pure gold in this alloy will be 60% since gold is much more dense than the alloys used: 19.32 g/cm³ for gold, 10.49 g/cm³ for silver and 8.96 g/cm³ for copper."

"For 10-carat gold, the gold volume in the alloy represents about 26% of the total volume for standard yellow gold. One should be aware of this, since talking about purity according to weight could lead to some misunderstandings; for many people, purity means volume."
Old 21 June 2013, 05:22 AM   #65
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I think you're wrong. You had the ring for 10 months and a lot can happen in that period of time. They don't know you and for all they know your wife is hard on rings or you popped the stone out and pawned it.

They don't owe you anything

Sorry....
My thoughts, too.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2013, 05:43 AM   #66
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
well, I know EXACTLY what I am talking about.
And the gold law is all the same -Europe, USA, ASIA, Australia etc.

14 ct. gold alloys consist of 58,5 WEIGHT% of finegold, but only 33 VOLUME% of finegold in the alloy because of the higher specific weight of finegold.

For all physical and chemical properties, the VOLUME of the content rules and not the WEIGHT.

I am sure Mark as a dentist (who works with gold) can confirm that I am right ;) or ask your friend the coin shop owner - hope that he knows a little about gold alloys.

And if you are also working in the coin shop - you never learn too much ;)

You also have a nice day and best wishes ;)

Hi, actually I have learned plenty in the Numismatic Field as I have been involved in the business for over 48 years and work for a couple of dealers part time.....I make money for myself and for their clients everyday of every year as well as my clients.....

I believe what we have is a language barrier involved in this conversation and are probably describing two ways to say the same thing. It just comes across differently due to are differences in cultures...I did check with three dealers who work with bullion metals everyday and have a combined experience of over 120 years and they all agree with me in my premise of how gold is described and sold here in the USA. One actually deals with a refinery(smelter) and all have said the same thing.....

As long as gold is in jewelry they test for purity and weigh it on a scale and pay out accordingly to the proper Karat percentage and by how much it weighs. This is how they buy and sell...as the only consideration is the bullion value. Now for collectible Numismatic coins that's a different story...it depends on the coin, age, rarity and intrinsic value of the gold weight.....

Now as for Wikipedia, I did go to the link you provided but once again it has different information here in America then over there where you live. Also you must understand that the information can be changed by anyone who wants to contribute information to the subject being looked up...there was no mention of what you were explaining...so there you go!!!

I'm sorry if I upset you and did not want you to be on the defensive as we are all talking about the same thing anyways...so no matter how you describe it it all works out to the same solution or answer!!!

Take care...Leo

Old 21 June 2013, 05:58 AM   #67
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Don't worry, I am not upset.

You are buying coins by weight. Gold is traded by weight.

Though you pay for and get 58 weight % in a 14 ct. gold alloy, the gold physically is around 33 volume% in the alloy because of the higher specific weight. and that's here the same as in the US.

Sorry, I can't change that, ask someone who produces gold alloys.
Old 21 June 2013, 07:51 PM   #68
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:

Though you pay for and get 58 weight % in a 14 ct. gold alloy, the gold physically is around 33 volume% in the alloy because of the higher specific weight. and that's here the same as in the US.

Thanks for your explanations. I learnt something. Takes me back to my days learning science with talk of specific weights and volumes.

To the OP, sorry to hear of your misfortune in losing the original diamond.
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2013, 07:04 AM   #69
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Thanks to all who responded, both positive and negative.
My wife's grief is almost gone, and that's really all that matters to me.
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2013, 11:53 AM   #70
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

To be fair your reference to 33% gold was not described as being 'by volume' in your original thread.
I have never calculated gold by volume and I have also been working with gold for a few years.
Because of the many amalgams of gold the exact percentage of gold could never be calcluated 'by volume'.
This could be why we have the K scale/weight.

I do know four 9's when I see it.

While we are on the subject of gold . IMO 18K gold is not softer that 9K gold in all amalgams as some have said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09336r.jpg (146.9 KB, 43 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote