The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 December 2011, 11:50 AM   #61
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Same to you Thomas.
Yeah... no kidding....
"...Buy it, wear it and don't worry IMO.
I can't see how Customs can stop all travellers who are wearing a watch and ask them for proof of where they bought it? "
Kinda my sentiments as well.. - but Hey, ya never know!! - If they did check everyone....Line-ups would be out to the next city.....!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2011, 12:28 PM   #62
swiss ghost
Banned

wow, some guys are paranoid. I've worn my rolex to the usa back to canada to the usa back to canada. i could have bought it in the states or canada who's to say

** i purchased in Canada

i threw the receipt out. i can't prove where i bought it.( i really can but shhhh) I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get 'taxed' every time i leave or enter another country. if its on my wrist its mine, customs don't care. period.

swiss ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2011, 12:30 PM   #63
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss ghost View Post
wow, some guys are paranoid. I've worn my rolex to the usa back to canada to the usa back to canada. i could have bought it in the states or canada who's to say

** i purchased in Canada

i threw the receipt out. i can't prove where i bought it.( i really can but shhhh) I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get 'taxed' every time i leave or enter another country. if its on my wrist its mine, customs don't care. period.

Agreed...
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2011, 12:34 PM   #64
guyrolex

Watch: DSSD, SubC LV
I have shopped Rolex around the world and I can firmly state that the best deals you will get anywhere are at Canadian ADs- particularly on sports models! I found NYC and London were the worst
guyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2011, 01:26 PM   #65
Treetopflyer

as someone who goes thru CDN customs sometimes 10 times a week all I can say is declare it. If the price isn't not worth the customs fee don't buy it then. Just shop for one in Canada. That's what I did.
Having said that, I have declared all watches bought outside Canada and not once ever paid a lick of duty/ tax. Maybe it was my honesty or just dumb luck. But either way, I bought them because the purchase price PLUS duty and tax was still far less than CDN retail.
Treetopflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 09:33 AM   #66
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Watch: You know... Rolex
I did not read all posts so not sure if somebody aswered this. I would just wear the watch and mail box and papers back. In the case of clothes it is easier. You can pack light then pack and wear stuff back with all tags, recipts and packaging left in the hotel trash. Around my little city people hate this sort of thing. There is a real push on to support local blah blah. I support whoever saves me money.
RolexPete32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 01:17 PM   #67
JasonK

Being born and raised in Canada and now living in the US...I feel sorry for Canadians who are treated like criminals when entering their own country.

I remember trips to the US for shopping. I declared everything and at the end, the price after duty was not worth it. The only reason to shop in the US was variety. The US has so much more variety.

It is the saddest thing when one has to carry receipts of designer purses that one purchased in Canada. I left Canada before I had a dime to my name but do recall that Canadian customs has this power. I can not think of a more demeaning treatment of its citizens than to question financial success of those who want to purchase nice things in life.

I wear my YG MOP YM into Canada all the time. I have never been questioned about it. But boy, do they grill me about how long I am staying, what I am doing etc. And I have my Canadian passport with me!

When I travel back into the US, I get a 'welcome home' from the border guards almost every time.

Now, onto the trying to get something across the Canadian border. I had a friend who bought a leather jacket in the US. He crossed back into Canada. The guard asked where he got it. He said in Canada. The guard asked him two more times where he got it. He finally broke down and said in the US. I don't recall what more in duty he paid but more importantly, he recalls seeing on his profile 'Attempted smuggling. Denied three time'.

Do not try to sneak any purchase into Canada. If caught, it will haunt and follow you for the rest of your life.

I feel bad and sad for Canadians living in Canada.
JasonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 01:19 PM   #68
aleksa930930
"TRF" Member

Come on!!

U serious ! You think customs will actually be able to tell if your watch is a new purchase or not, no way! Fed ex the box, we're the watch,
aleksa930930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 01:23 PM   #69
JasonK

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrolex View Post
I have shopped Rolex around the world and I can firmly state that the best deals you will get anywhere are at Canadian ADs- particularly on sports models! I found NYC and London were the worst

This is so untrue!!!

I bought a Holex watch from a kind honest man on the streets of NYC for $25.

Can't wear it right now as the battery is dead. But it is a genuine Holex!
Old 1 April 2013, 01:27 PM   #70
JasonK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksa930930 View Post
U serious ! You think customs will actually be able to tell if your watch is a new purchase or not, no way! Fed ex the box, we're the watch,
The customs officer doesn't have to think or tell if the watch is new. If he/she even suspects that you did not purchase it in Canada etc, they have the right to question you or confiscate it.

I would rather give the police a super hard time but I NEVER screw around with customs officers.
Old 1 April 2013, 01:30 PM   #71
Jay Tee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520/PAM/PO2500
Quote:
I totally agree with you; they can't tell. But they put the burden of proof on the citizen to prove that the watch was either purchased in Canada or that the appropriate duty and taxes were paid on it. If they are not satisfied with your answer, they can confiscate your goods, period. If they don't take your belongings, they will blacklist you.
Jay Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 01:32 PM   #72
Jay Tee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520/PAM/PO2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK View Post
The customs officer doesn't have to think or tell if the watch is new. If he/she even suspects that you did not purchase it in Canada etc, they have the right to question you or confiscate it.

I would rather give the police a super hard time but I NEVER screw around with customs officers.
Sorry, missed you by a couple of minutes!
Jay Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 01:39 PM   #73
hdms
"TRF" Member

Buy at a Canadian AD since it will be your first rolex. You can build a relationship with your AD and you will also get warranty close to home and peace of mind on your watch when you travel. It's really a small difference to pay for warranty, peace of mind and confidence when crossing the border. Then on your second watch, now that's a different story, since for sure you won't stop at one and you'll be more familiar on ways on how to save money.

On a side note. HK won't give you good discounts. They are having too many sales from China who doesn't even negotiate.

Good luck.
hdms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 02:06 PM   #74
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by marley View Post
Thank you for your reply
What about an out of province purchase, this would save PST?
Hey Marley..
Have you ever found your watch ...and if so, wherčd you get it...!!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 09:33 PM   #75
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Something else to consider when bringing a watch into Canada. If you try to insure the watch, insurance companies will not cover it unless you can prove that it was "legally obtained". That includes paying any applicable taxes and duty.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 10:29 PM   #76
Xk500

I hate Canadian ADers. I called them about the price inquiry about my Rolex Dayton

Me: hi I was wondering if you had the Rolex Daytona champain dial on stock
AD: yeah we do
Me: how much is it
AD: $20,000 CAD
Me: and how much discount can I expect from it?
AD: I can't say till you are sure you want to buy it? Why don't u decide and call back.
Me: Ty (really, who the hell do they think they are, I wouldn't be calling if I wasn't thinking of buying.
Hung up

Called back
Me: yes I am sure I am thinking of buying one
AD: $19,200 CAD without HST
Me: Ty for your time.

Buy in HK it's a cheaper (with tax) and the sales people are nicer. Well the place I was visiting set up a show room with like every model you could EVER want as well as other brands. + I think the sales rep was more concerned about me being mugged right in front of there store than actually selling me the watch. Kind of funny.
Xk500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 10:35 PM   #77
Xk500

If you are a non residential Canadian dress like a hobo when entering Canada. They can't tax you on hoboness (I think that's what they want) leave your expencive stuff for places that treat you with respect. (this includes money) I don't take anything worth more than $60 as gifts across EVER.
Xk500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2013, 07:18 AM   #78
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

Watch: where you're going
Bought a 39mm Explorer in Feb 2012 and got 21% off. Bought a Sub-C Date in Feb 2013 and got 25% off.

Both bought in Toronto and still had to pay the taxes. I don't think our Gov was wiling to give me an additional discount off the PST.

Good Luck
2012 G-Shock GW-2310FB-1
2013 Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Mr. RoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2013, 11:38 AM   #79
Finewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C, Omega PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK View Post
Being born and raised in Canada and now living in the US...I feel sorry for Canadians who are treated like criminals when entering their own country.

I remember trips to the US for shopping. I declared everything and at the end, the price after duty was not worth it. The only reason to shop in the US was variety. The US has so much more variety.

It is the saddest thing when one has to carry receipts of designer purses that one purchased in Canada. I left Canada before I had a dime to my name but do recall that Canadian customs has this power. I can not think of a more demeaning treatment of its citizens than to question financial success of those who want to purchase nice things in life.

I wear my YG MOP YM into Canada all the time. I have never been questioned about it. But boy, do they grill me about how long I am staying, what I am doing etc. And I have my Canadian passport with me!

When I travel back into the US, I get a 'welcome home' from the border guards almost every time.

Now, onto the trying to get something across the Canadian border. I had a friend who bought a leather jacket in the US. He crossed back into Canada. The guard asked where he got it. He said in Canada. The guard asked him two more times where he got it. He finally broke down and said in the US. I don't recall what more in duty he paid but more importantly, he recalls seeing on his profile 'Attempted smuggling. Denied three time'.

Do not try to sneak any purchase into Canada. If caught, it will haunt and follow you for the rest of your life.

I feel bad and sad for Canadians living in Canada.
Try getting into the US with any conviction whatsoever no matter how long ago. Not happening.
Yet many US entertainers with armfuls of convictions are allowed to go where ever they please. Figure that one out. And they are allowed to return
Old 2 April 2013, 05:36 PM   #80
JasonK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk500 View Post
I hate Canadian ADers. I called them about the price inquiry about my Rolex Dayton

Me: hi I was wondering if you had the Rolex Daytona champain dial on stock
AD: yeah we do
Me: how much is it
AD: $20,000 CAD
Me: and how much discount can I expect from it?
AD: I can't say till you are sure you want to buy it? Why don't u decide and call back.
Me: Ty (really, who the hell do they think they are, I wouldn't be calling if I wasn't thinking of buying.
Hung up

Called back
Me: yes I am sure I am thinking of buying one
AD: $19,200 CAD without HST
Me: Ty for your time.
I have also found Canadian AD's to be the snootiest and bad attitude salespeople I have ever encountered. I never buy anything in Canada anymore even if it was cheaper when the exchange rates were US favorable.

I have gone up to AD's and asked to look at Rolexes etc and was met with the same attitude. Like I wasn't able to buy anything. They wouldn't take anything out of the case for me to look at. I just went 'oh brother' to myself, looked at my wife, then rolled up my sleeve to look at the time on my YG MOP yachtmaster and said 'Well, I guess it's time to go'.

Canadian retailers definitely do not know how to treat their customers.
Old 2 April 2013, 05:55 PM   #81
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

Watch: where you're going
^^^^

Do you remember the name of that AD???

In Toronto, all 4 Rolex AD I visited during my search for the 39mm Explorer and the Sub-C Date were more than happier to show and let me try on the watches. Never once did I get attitude from them.

Let us know the name of that AD.
2012 G-Shock GW-2310FB-1
2013 Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Mr. RoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2013, 12:19 AM   #82
Finewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C, Omega PO
No AD I know will give firm price on the phone. It would not be in anyones best interest. Just think about it. Rolex calls(the price fixers) gets a discounted price, next thing you know dealer looses right to sell them. It's happened all over the US already.
Old 22 April 2013, 11:53 AM   #83
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete32 View Post
I did not read all posts so not sure if somebody aswered this. I would just wear the watch and mail box and papers back. In the case of clothes it is easier. You can pack light then pack and wear stuff back with all tags, recipts and packaging left in the hotel trash. Around my little city people hate this sort of thing. There is a real push on to support local blah blah. I support whoever saves me money.
I agree Pete !
Sherwooddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2013, 12:00 PM   #84
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe you have to prove you paid Canadian tax on the item or they will compensate it until you provide a receipt. So if you wear a Rolex while on vacation you have to prove you paid Canadian taxes if questioned.
Old 22 April 2013, 12:02 PM   #85
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tee View Post
I totally agree with you; they can't tell. But they put the burden of proof on the citizen to prove that the watch was either purchased in Canada or that the appropriate duty and taxes were paid on it. If they are not satisfied with your answer, they can confiscate your goods, period. If they don't take your belongings, they will blacklist you.
Exactly !
Old 22 April 2013, 12:05 PM   #86
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tee View Post
Sorry, missed you by a couple of minutes!
Sorry I missed by a few weeks !
Old 11 June 2013, 05:51 AM   #87
gdavi77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
First post!

My one and only experience bringing a Rolex back to Canada was back in 1999. Back then, my 14060 went, brand new at an AD in Las Vegas, for $2,800!! (with date, were $3200!)

Anyway, the lady told me to wear it back and ship everything else, but I decided not to do that. I declared the full value. Well, customs had pity on me. They thanked me for being honest, and actually reduced the value of the watch to bring down the taxes, and as memory serves me, I paid around $400 - $500. They all wanted to see it, and were genuinely thankful I declared it and gave me a break. I don't think that would happen nowadays, tho.
gdavi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2013, 06:55 PM   #88
WolFF
"TRF" Member

Serial numbers are on a database with customs. They can pull up your luxury watch and determine exactly where your watch was originally sold and if duties have been paid on it. If it has a serial number it's recorded in a database somewhere.

Buy in Canada or just declare it. Don't give them the opportunity to confiscate it. And sell it at auction for their own gain. Who are the real thieves? You for buying something with your own hard earned money. Or them for taking it away if you don't pay them enormous amounts of taxes and duties. Remember you will get a smuggler mark on your profile when they swipe your passport. And be searched and or detained most if not every time you travel.
WolFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2013, 11:51 PM   #89
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolFF View Post
Serial numbers are on a database with customs. They can pull up your luxury watch and determine exactly where your watch was originally sold and if duties have been paid on it. If it has a serial number it's recorded in a database somewhere.
Where did you hear that? I've never seen anyone compare serial numbers against a dB. Lord knows I've been stopped by Canadian customs plenty of times.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2013, 12:10 AM   #90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolFF View Post
Are serial numbers even visible on the outside of the watch?
1911 is offline   Reply With Quote