The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 October 2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

Self regulation by case position?

Can Omega movements be "Self-regulated" like Rolex movements?
for example, leaving the watch flat with the dial up gains seconds, leaving the watch on it's side crown up, looses seconds.
my 1120 Omega is loosing 6-10 seconds per day (going in for service), but the flat, dial up position overnight didn't seem to help much.

any experience with this?
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Cesium133
"TRF" Member

I tracked my 2500d movement for a month dial-up, dial-down, crown-up, and crown-down. In general, it ran -3 dial-up, -1 dial-down, -6 crown-down/up. I don't worry so much about it running within COCS specs anymore, but when I have tracked it I kept it dial down for the whole month and found it only losses 30-60 seconds. Other positions will cause it to lose 60-180 seconds.
Cesium133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

Interesting....thanks for sharing....
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
ed54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16234, Speedy Pro
I found my Speedy Pro was losing a few seconds a day with it laying flat face-up at night. When I changed the night position to crown-up, it gained a couple of seconds. So now I check the time at night, then store the watch however I need to regulate the time. I can average about 2 sec/day this way.
kinda complex, but I feel it goes with the manual wind process.
ed54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 12:40 PM   #5
gtuck
"TRF" Member

My SMPc (2500d) gains in all positions except crown up where it loses a bit. It gains almost a second on the wrist during the day and loses almost that much crown up at night.
gtuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 08:44 PM   #6
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
I think the positions may vary from a watch to another but regulating a watch by placing in one or another is a concept that applies to all mechanical watches as they all work the same. Basically depending on how it was regulated in the first place there are positions in which it could gain or lose a few seconds and it could vary from one position to another because of the effect of gravity on the balance wheel. Keep in mind though that gravity will not affect the balance wheel if it's flat, the accuracy changes from one flat position to another (dial up or dial down) will depend on other factors.

If your watch starts to get slow and hasn't been service in a long time then I'd recommend you to send it in, however, if you want to make it gain or lose a few seconds you just need to figure out the position in which the wanted change would happen and leave it in this position overnight or a complete day, depending on the amount of time you want to gain or lose.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote