The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 5 July 2014, 05:09 PM   #1
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6 I'm ready for my first Speedy Pro; but have questions....

What is lacking in my meager collection is a Speedy Pro. I have long wanted a 42mm Speedy but the show stopper for me are the two things it is missing--the date and auto movt. I am well aware there's school of people out there who love the Speedy Pro in its original form.

I am ready to include a Speedy to my collection. One such model I am considering is the Speedy 9300 in 44mm + leather. I have only tried it on the wrist once while I was in Switzerland last month. A lot of people say it doesn't wear big at all and it sort of doesn't feel big on my 7.5" wrist, maybe because it is thinner than my Pam 88 and Breitling Ti Seawolf Avenger.

Here's what I would relly like to get if I can and if it exists:
(1) 42mm Speedy Pro, Auto, Date, Co-Axial; or
(2) 42mm Speedy Pro, Auto, Date

Your recommendations, with Reference numbers, will be truly appreciated.

Pls. also recommend which movement on a Speedy that is undesirable due to past and tracked mechanical problems (always requiring service).

Thank you in advance.

- JD

P.S. I currently own the SMP Great White GMT 2538.20 and SMP James Bond GMT 2535.80.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2014, 05:35 PM   #2
jay_man2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The Speedmaster 57 is 41.5 mm and is a co-axial auto date model. Any watch with the "Professional" designation is 42 mm manual wind, which is currently the cal. 1861 and 1863 movements.

Just did the research, and picked up my Speedy Pro yesterday.

The Mark II is a 42.6 mm auto co-axial date version that was re-issued this year. I have one of those too. It has the cal. 3330 movement.
jay_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2014, 06:37 AM   #3
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
The Speedmaster 57 is 41.5 mm and is a co-axial auto date model. Any watch with the "Professional" designation is 42 mm manual wind, which is currently the cal. 1861 and 1863 movements.

Just did the research, and picked up my Speedy Pro yesterday.

The Mark II is a 42.6 mm auto co-axial date version that was re-issued this year. I have one of those too. It has the cal. 3330 movement.
Jay-
Thanks. Saw the 42mm with 1863 moon phase date, manual wind reference. Just can't get past the manual wind. Also considered the Speedy 57 but ultimately, no.

What is the reference # on the Mark II 42.6mm Co-ax with date? Maybe that's the one I'd get. You said reissued this year; does that mean it has been issued with exact specs before? If so, what's the reference #?

Again, thanks in advance. You're very helpful in this endeavor. BTW I'm right next door to you in southernmost part of MD.

- JD
Old 6 July 2014, 06:48 AM   #4
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I like the new MKII but its too thick for me. Winding a Speedy every morning is a pleasure and IMHO you will love to interact with a piece of history everyday, so my vote is 3570.50
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Kobayashi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Any Rolex!
I'm ready for my first Speedy Pro; but have questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgator View Post
What is the reference # on the Mark II 42.6mm Co-ax with date? Maybe that's the one I'd get. You said reissued this year; does that mean it has been issued with exact specs before? If so, what's the reference #?

Reissued Mark II reference no:

327.10.43.50.01.001 &

Original Mark II reference no:

When I saw pictures of the rerelease I was hooked. But when I saw it in person it was a THICK watch. Similar to a DSSD. Had it not been for the thickness I would've purchased it.
Kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2014, 08:27 AM   #6
jay_man2
"TRF" Member

Overview of the Mark II:

http://www.omegawatches.com/collecti...32710435006001

I have the Speedy Pro and the Mark II, and like both for different reasons. The Mark II thickness doesn't bother me; it's thinner than my Ploprof or Planet Ocean Chronograph.

The Mark II is well balanced, and the micro-adjustment on the clasp is nice. You can push in a release inside the clasp, and adjust the bracelet out up to 9.6 mm. The lume on the tachymeter scale is nice, too. It comes with a black dial or a gray dial with orange accents. The re-issue retains the lines of the original, but has some updates as well. I have the black dial model.

The Speedy Pro is a classic. I love the manual wind, the weight, and readability of the dial. The hesalite crystal is cool. With no anti-reflective coating, and distortion of the dial at various angles, it's just neat to gaze upon.

If I could only have one, I'd have the Speedy Pro, but I'm so happy to be fortunate to have both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0034.jpg (61.6 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0045.jpg (207.2 KB, 550 views)
Old 6 July 2014, 09:19 AM   #7
AAMC
"TRF" Member

Hi,

I also have both. The Mark II it's a "better" watch, the finishing of the case, bracelet and adjustable clasp are really great. It has a column wheel chronograph caliber, even if it's not "in-house" it features Omega proprietary co-axial escapement, Si14 technology, decent power reserve and chronometer certificate.
The Pro it's a classic, has a pretty exclusive movement, looks good on bracelet or almost every strap and it's more versatile.
If I had to choose only one I would pick the Pro just because the Mark II it's a bit on the sporty side to be an all round watch.

AAMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2014, 05:34 AM   #8
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Icon6

To: jay_man2; Kobayashi; AAMC; FTX 1:

Thank you all for your feedback. Gave me some ideas and sorting to do. I am now looking closely at the Speedy Pro with the moonphase, but nothing is firm at the moment. Still under consideration is the Speedy Pro 9300.

Looking forward to the hunt for the right Speedy Pro!
Old 8 July 2014, 07:35 AM   #9
jay_man2
"TRF" Member

I've gotten the Speedy bug now. The Speedy 9300 on a bracelet is high on the list for my next acquisition. Just have to wait until my watch fund builds back up.
Old 8 July 2014, 09:01 AM   #10
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Still liking the new MKII, price is higher than a new Speedy 3570.50?
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 09:10 AM   #11
jay_man2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTinkster92 View Post
Still liking the new MKII, price is higher than a new Speedy 3570.50?
MSRP on Speedy Pro is $4500, and on the MKII it's $6250.

You can find both for less from trusted sellers here on TRF.
Old 8 July 2014, 10:23 AM   #12
AAMC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
MSRP on Speedy Pro is $4500, and on the MKII it's $6250.

You can find both for less from trusted sellers here on TRF.
Yes, but be aware that the Speedy it's about to be sold on a "collectors" case with some goodies and the price will suffer a raise (around 500€ more as far as I know).

AAMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2014, 10:28 AM   #13
jay_man2
"TRF" Member

You'll also be able to buy the case separately, and the local Omega Boutique expected it to go for $7-800. They did not know when it would actually be available.
Old 8 July 2014, 02:56 PM   #14
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Icon6

I can't do the MKII in its present form, just too big and thick for me. I remember seeing those growing up, seemed everyone wanted the big and thick Omega, Seiko, Rado.... the thicker the case, the more impressive (in their eyes).
Old 9 July 2014, 07:28 AM   #15
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
You'll also be able to buy the case separately, and the local Omega Boutique expected it to go for $7-800. They did not know when it would actually be available.
What do you mean "You'll also be able to buy the case separately"?

Which Speedy Pro model are you all referring to price going up soon?

Sorry I'm not up on what's happening in the Omega world.....appreciate your patience.
Old 9 July 2014, 07:34 AM   #16
jay_man2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What do you mean "You'll also be able to buy the case separately"?

Which Speedy Pro model are you all referring to price going up soon?

Sorry I'm not up on what's happening in the Omega world.....appreciate your patience.
Omega apparently announced at Baselworld that the Speedy Pro 3570.50 would be sold with a special case that included a loupe, Nato strap, strap changing tool, etc. as pictured in the earlier post. It's not available yet, but when it is, the Boutique expected that the MSRP would increase by $500 or so, and that they expected you'd be able to buy it separately for $700 to $800.

Currently, the MSRP is $4500, and includes the Omega red leather box.
Old 9 July 2014, 01:53 PM   #17
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
The 9300 has a very similar look to the speedy pro with of course the automatic movement, date and longer warranty. I get the arguments for the speedy pro manual wind but I have a rotation and just prefer to keep it on a winder when not in use. Of course if you let a SP die, without a date you can just wind and set it easily too. I recently put my 9300 up for sale but after thinking about it, I withdrew it. On a bracelet, it's such a classic look. I just had to keep it.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2014, 03:07 PM   #18
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Icon6 Alternative to Speedy Pro - Zenith El Primero Chrono 1969

srvrf,
The date is very important to me. The SP model with manual wind but with moonphase looks so damn busy so am now reluctant to get it. The Zenith has no date but the dial is beautiful, but it's got a great and high quality automatic with movt.
Old 11 July 2014, 03:14 AM   #19
oldbronco

Watch: Ranger
Speedy Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftx i View Post
i like the new mkii but its too thick for me. Winding a speedy every morning is a pleasure and imho you will love to interact with a piece of history everyday, so my vote is 3570.50
+1
oldbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2014, 10:16 AM   #20
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Does anyone own the Speedy with brown dial? Your thoughts, please.....

I find it interesting, to say the least.
Old 11 July 2014, 10:36 AM   #21
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Does anyone own the Speedy with brown dial? Your thoughts, please.....

I find it interesting, to say the least.
I've owned a couple of dozen Speedy Pros over the years including the brown dialed "tropical" Speedy. It was a nice, different piece but in the long run, I preferred the standard model with its stainless steel bracelet.

Having said that, my favorite is the First Omega in Space which is now my one and only Speedy. Although it came on a tang buckled leather strap, I added the Omega ref. 1125 bracelet to complete the vintage look:

Bottom line: no serious watch collection is complete without a Lemania Speedy of whatever variation.
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2014, 12:20 AM   #22
Paul_R

Watch: 16710
I would say go with the classic Speedy Pro as a first but i may be biased. One recommendation though is DO NOT buy it on leather. Buy it on a bracelet and then buy an aftermarket strap(s) for it.
Paul_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2014, 04:10 PM   #23
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
I would say go with the classic Speedy Pro as a first but i may be biased. One recommendation though is DO NOT buy it on leather. Buy it on a bracelet and then buy an aftermarket strap(s) for it.
As mentioned I have two SMP GMT that came with ss bracelet. Didn't like them so been wearing both on various leather and rubber straps since purchase. Price diff between leather and steel bracelet is only $200 (on 9300/44mm model), so it sounds like it makes sense to get ss bracelet then buy leather strap. Thanks.
Old 13 July 2014, 04:13 PM   #24
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
I've owned a couple of dozen Speedy Pros over the years including the brown dialed "tropical" Speedy. It was a nice, different piece but in the long run, I preferred the standard model with its stainless steel bracelet.

Having said that, my favorite is the First Omega in Space which is now my one and only Speedy. Although it came on a tang buckled leather strap, I added the Omega ref. 1125 bracelet to complete the vintage look:

Bottom line: no serious watch collection is complete without a Lemania Speedy of whatever variation.
So, the 3570 runs on a Lemania movt? Thanks, Fr. John.
Old 13 July 2014, 04:23 PM   #25
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Icon6

One other finalist for my first chrono is the Zenith El Primero Chrono 1969. Love that watch, the movt is highly praised and widely accepted/preferred.

Any comments (or flaming) welcome.
Old 13 July 2014, 07:44 PM   #26
Puffy
"TRF" Member

i've got the Speedy Hesalite which is a great modern vintage
Old 15 July 2014, 09:38 AM   #27
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Jim that 1125 adds just the right touch to that Speedy, when I ever get mine that's exactly what I will do as well.
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2014, 11:04 PM   #28
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
JD, the Zenith is nice, but resale is awful. It's so bad that sometimes you actually have to pay someone to take it off your hands

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote