The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 November 2014, 06:55 AM   #1
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
5512 vs 5513 Caseback Swap Issues

Hey Guys:

I have been following vintage subs long enough to have a feel for the mis-matched case backs on the 5512/5513 models.

My research suggests that both watches were assembled at Rolex in the same general areas and that the casebacks came from similar bins....

On a regular basis, a case back with the incorrect stamping was screwed on to the case, and quality control didn't catch the mismatch.

Forward 40 years and sellers and buyers are noticing the issue. If an owner wants his case back stamp to match the case engraving, he would have to find a "correct" piece and purchase it.

I would like to start a discussion about setting up a "swap service" to help reduce the overall cost of matching case backs and watches.

So here goes:

1) Are there enough watch owners interested enough to get the "correct" case back for their watch?

2) Would you be willing to pay $50 to swap a 5513 for a 5512 or vice versa rather than pay full price for another case back?

Please chime in a let me know what you think; I have an extra 5512 service back to get things started. That means I can only help out someone with a 5513 back to start with and one person at a time....if it does work, then I can set up a posting in the FS/FT section and go from there.

Each time, the version available would reverse, if that makes sense...

Thanks.

John B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex Case Back 5512.jpg (57.3 KB, 317 views)
Old 26 November 2014, 07:21 AM   #2
jedly1
"TRF" Member

tbh john , a 5512 back on a 5513 doesn't worry me if its period correct as like you say its just so common, and id much prefer a period 5513 back on a 5512 than a service back 5512 ...if its a later 5512 back its what they used ( and still use) as a service replacement on 5513/2/1680...i don't see many 5512 with 5513 backs though so not sure there'll bee much demand in that direction
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 07:33 AM   #3
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
i don't see many 5512 with 5513 backs though so not sure there'll bee much demand in that direction
Spotted one today over at HQ Milton and that's what triggered this thread...

http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1967...12-4-line-dial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temp1.jpg (35.9 KB, 306 views)
Old 26 November 2014, 07:37 AM   #4
jedly1
"TRF" Member

oh it happens, just nowhere near as much in my experience ...my impression still remains that they 'over made' 5512 spares and the demand wasn't their so they got used up where they could rather than an accidental mixing up ...rolex is the tightest company know to man and NOTHING goes to waste.
Old 26 November 2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

It would be interesting to go through this swapping routine then find there is some rationale--or even long lost Rolex records--for the mismatched case backs... then everyone would be rushing to switch back...
Im Lauf der Zeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 08:03 AM   #6
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
...rolex is the tightest company know to man and NOTHING goes to waste.
LOL....good point, and it explains HOW and WHY it happened, but what should we do as collectors....

Ironically, all my subs had the "matching" case backs when I got them, so I am neutral on the issue overall. What would you want to do IF your case back doesn't match?

Old 26 November 2014, 08:03 AM   #7
jedly1
"TRF" Member

interestingly i had the conversation with Geneva in about 2004 when they were a lot more open , they looked at me bemused when i had a 1680 with a 5512 back on and I had a problem with it...probably before they got used to being bombarded by questions by internet weirdos :):):)

in "rolex' terms this is perfectly acceptable and normal as its the correct part even if it does have a different model ref on it , they certainly don't have records on it (at the point of manufacture), other than if they note it during a later service.
Old 26 November 2014, 08:19 AM   #8
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

If possible, keep watches as the came from Rolex even if mismatched. In many cases there is a forensic history engraved on the caseback.
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 09:40 AM   #9
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
My 5513 has a 5512 service case back and it doesn't bother me as I know that it's just how things were done. The only reason I might get an extra case back is to get one engraved for when I give the watch to one of my boys.

It's an interesting idea, nevertheless.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 10:09 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBaker3 View Post
LOL....good point, and it explains HOW and WHY it happened, but what should we do as collectors....

. . .
A Rolex is only original once. As a collector I would rather have the original 5512 stamped back on my 5513; not a "corrected" back that has been cluged together..

Vintage watches that have had parts swapped in and out to make it "period correct" are frankenwatches, not original high-value collector pieces. They have their place in enthusiasts collections but not museum quality collections.
Old 26 November 2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

I would rather have the original mismatched case back rather than swapping it out. At some point during a potential sale you might disclose to the seller that you swapped out the case back for a "correct" one. However, in the back of his mind he might wonder what else is not original.
Old 26 November 2014, 01:09 PM   #12
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Would not bother me

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2014, 11:24 PM   #13
JerimiahLee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 Meters 1st
I've had a few matched and the others mostly mismatched.

Frankly, it doesn't bother me and doesn't detract from any value (which is why people typically swap parts).

I lobby that you leave it as it left Geneva or service. Plus, who knows you have a 5513 vs 5512 case back anyways?
JerimiahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2014, 01:09 AM   #14
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I don't consider those "mismatched" case backs. That implies a mistake, and Rolex did this on purpose, so it wasn't a mistake. There's nothing wrong with 5513 case backs on 5512s and vice-versa. Totally acceptable and normal. I'd rather have the original case back on my watch, no matter what's engraved on it. But maybe I'm biased. Here's the case back on my 5512.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My 5512 Case Back-TRF.jpg (178.2 KB, 158 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote