The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 January 2015, 01:51 AM   #1
Poly
"TRF" Member

Hi All

After lurking on this forum for ages, I finally took the plunge to register! A small introduction if I may?
I'm an Englishman who left my home country almost 10 years ago to follow the dream in the US. After living in Chicago and Louisville, I now find myself just a shade south of Nashville. A long time watch lover, I own several Rollie's, a couple of Panerai and some Breitlings. Only having lived here for a few months, I've only been able to find a couple of PP dealers in the whole state. So, if anyone on here knows any others or a good, reputable used dealer, that would be great.
I've always kept a side "watch fund account", but have not touched it for a couple of years, and now really am into a PP or AP. One local dealer has a 5146J, which I adore, but even though it's new, it looks like it's been tried on by half of TN! Do you think that matters? Or am I just being stupid about wanting a sealed one?
Furthermore, I've really enjoyed the hunt and am nervous of reaching its conclusion!! My wife says I'm nuts.
Anyway, any insights always appreciated, and i look forward to being a part of this group.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2015, 02:01 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Most Patek I have bought were sealed and I cut bag. While AD's here don't let you take a sealed watch nor ship boxes I enjoy the ritual of cutting and knowing I am first to wear. The only exceptions for me have been my rare older ones. Welcome to TRF and good luck on first Patek! Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2015, 02:05 AM   #3
Poly
"TRF" Member

Thanks much. I figured they wouldn't let me take the shipping boxes and a sealed bag, but like you, I at least want to be able to open the bag!
Old 4 January 2015, 02:11 AM   #4
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Try on a 5146 and narrow down which you like. Take your time and make sure you get the reference that is best for you. Be careful because not all ADs are the same in how they care for their inventory. I have seen way to many "Brand New" pieces in the showcase that have been beaten up by customers trying them on or carelessness from several sales associates. Happy Hunting and Welcome!
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2015, 02:16 AM   #5
Poly
"TRF" Member

Goog- that was the great part about living in Chicago, I used to visit Oakbrook mall a lot, and the dealer there was superb. There's a part of me ( maybe the cheap part!) which would feel hard done by buying such a piece which has been "worn" by many. I'll take your advice though and thanks.
Old 4 January 2015, 02:18 AM   #6
clintfca
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Omega
Welcome! I just picked up a 5146G and its a fantastic watch. I also know what it's like to see a 'brand new' watch but it looks like the demo car that already has a few hundred miles on it. If you're paying for a brand new watch I'd settle for nothing short of a sealed specimen. It took me some time to find one but the patience and persistence paid off.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clintfca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2015, 02:19 AM   #7
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Tell them you want the good stuff in the safe. No floor models. LOL!
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2015, 04:03 AM   #8
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Welcome to the forum! Several of us came thru Breitling and Rolex ownership. I would take your time and like another said, tell them you want to see some examples from their safe. Good luck in your search!
Old 4 January 2015, 04:47 AM   #9
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I don't normally buy from an AD in my local state just to save on tax, although I did just buy my Wife a 7018 in Beverly Hills and had them ship it out of state first and then it came back to me. I always ask the out of state AD's to send me the seal, presentation box, etc. but I have them cut the bag so they can set the watch. I don't have great dexterity in my hands and I'm just asking to put scratches in the case if I do it myself.
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2015, 06:00 AM   #10
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

My first Patek was a 5146J with cream dial. It was in the window and I have no doubt was tried on by many customers, but it didn't worry me.
The next Patek, which happened to be a 5146G was sealed as per my instruction. It was a nice feeling to be the first one to "Break" the seal.
I have been fortunate to have had that pleasure a couple of times.
But now I am not quite so worried, as long as everything is ok, that does it for me.

By the way, here in the UK, you can leave with the watch still sealed and in it's travelling box.
Old 4 January 2015, 06:21 AM   #11
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Welcome
Old 4 January 2015, 06:23 AM   #12
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Hi Poly and welcome! IMO it would be hard to find a more knowledgeable and passionate group of watch owners than TRF members and especially the PP page group. I try to visit PP dealers while travelling, never know what you might find. Good luck in your quest!
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2015, 07:02 AM   #13
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Welcome to the forum. If buying new from AD I would want sealed to enjoy the simple pleasure of being the first to touch the watch since it left Geneva. I kept both the bag and the cardboard box from my Patek - but I'm about anal about things like that
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2015, 01:06 AM   #14
Poly
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for such a welcome and the advice.
Clint - I simply love that 5146 of yours. I know that's the model number I want, just need to find the one that sings to me now.