The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 January 2015, 01:22 AM   #1
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Thoughts on this President band

I recently purchased an 18K Datejust ref 1601, with this band on it. Is this possibly original to the watch? If I understand correctly, you could specify the President bracelet instead of the Jubilee.

goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 02:55 AM   #2
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
The clasp shows it to be a poor fake.

Rotate it 90 degrees, then look at the Rolex "sworl" ( not even close ) and the head of Minerva, part of the Swiss hallmark. Looks more like a Playmobil head.

If sold this as real, ask for a refund.

Haywood Milton

P.S. Just checked the word "sworl" as I had my doubts about it. It is a word my colleagues and I use to describe the Rolex logo with intertwining lines swirling around it, crowned by the Rolex coronet. This one is rubbish, whatever you wish to call it !

Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 6 January 2015 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: "Sworl" comment
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 05:25 AM   #3
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfixer21 View Post
I recently purchased an 18K Datejust ref 1601, with this band on it. Is this possibly original to the watch? If I understand correctly, you could specify the President bracelet instead of the Jubilee.

President band is not an option on the gold datejust, this band looks fake based on what I can see cheers
Old 6 January 2015, 05:41 AM   #4
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
Ptesident band is not an option on the gold datejust, this band looks fake based on what I can see c
There were actually times when a President was an option for a gent's gold Datejust.

The clasp here remains categorically fake, period.

Haywood M
Old 6 January 2015, 05:54 AM   #5
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
There were actually times when a President was an option for a gent's gold Datejust.

The clasp here remains categorically fake, period.

Haywood M

Never I afraid mate gold rolexes are my area of expertise, the president bracelet was made for the day date and was kept special to the day date and Never an option for the datejust. People franken watches by adding them to datejust all the time but never from the factory. However, back in the day AD's would sell you what band you liked, so some new watches has them causing confusion, however again not from the factory. Remember Rolex had two prices then the watch on leather was very common and had a price and another price with a band, many of these ended up on president bands sold by AD when rolex was not so tight with its restrictions and stock managment. The two watches looked the same otherwise and Rolex distinctly wanted the flagship model to be recognised.
Old 6 January 2015, 07:50 AM   #6
goldfixer21

I paid less than what the head alone is worth, and the band is 18K, so I'm not terribly disappointed that the band is not genuine. It was not sold as being genuine. Thanks for your input.
Here is a closer pic just because.....
Old 6 January 2015, 07:57 AM   #7
77T

It's for the melter IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 08:10 AM   #8
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
Never I afraid mate gold rolexes are my area of expertise, the president bracelet was made for the day date and was kept special to the day date and Never an option for the datejust. People franken watches by adding them to datejust all the time but never from the factory. However, back in the day AD's would sell you what band you liked, so some new watches has them causing confusion, however again not from the factory. Remember Rolex had two prices then the watch on leather was very common and had a price and another price with a band, many of these ended up on president bands sold by AD when rolex was not so tight with its restrictions and stock managment. The two watches looked the same otherwise and Rolex distinctly wanted the flagship model to be recognised.
It may not have been what Geneva wished, but you do confirm yourself that Rolex's own agents would supply the President bracelet for other models. It is very common thus to find a President on a 16018; I have some confidence in a number of examples, including one on Mike Wood's archive of sold watches.

My point in this particular thread is that the presence of a President on a Datejust watch does not automatically mean that the bracelet is not by Rolex.

Of course this particular one displays a fake clasp, asI highlighted in my first post unequivocally, but that is a separate matter.

Thankyou for most interesting additional information; I would not question your statement of Geneva's intentions for the gentleman's size President ( the midi and lady's size of course being the norm on 18ct models in those sizes), as older gold pieces are clearly more your area of expertise.

With kind regards,

Haywood M
Old 6 January 2015, 08:13 AM   #9
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
It's for the melter IMHO.
Indeed, but as the "hallmark" is itself fake, do not be surprised to find that the bracelet is not, in fact, 18ct gold. Most commonly we might find such a bracelet to be 14ct or even worse.

If you're happy with it of course, wear it and enjoy it !

HM
Old 6 January 2015, 08:15 AM   #10
77T

Why would I be happy with it?

I don't care what metal it is counterfeit and need to meet a crucible somewhere

Old 6 January 2015, 08:18 AM   #11
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Why would I be happy with it?

I don't care what metal it is counterfeit and need to meet a crucible somewhere

Sorry; my comment on the precious metal content was in response to your post, but it was the OP's happiness with wearing it that I intended to say.

No offence intended

Haywood
Old 6 January 2015, 08:21 AM   #12
77T

No problem.

And I hope we don't see any more pics of the fake clasp - ibtl

Old 6 January 2015, 08:30 AM   #13
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
It may not have been what Geneva wished, but you do confirm yourself that Rolex's own agents would supply the President bracelet for other models. It is very common thus to find a President on a 16018; I have some confidence in a number of examples, including one on Mike Wood's archive of sold watches.

My point in this particular thread is that the presence of a President on a Datejust watch does not automatically mean that the bracelet is not by Rolex.

Of course this particular one displays a fake clasp, asI highlighted in my first post unequivocally, but that is a separate matter.

Thankyou for most interesting additional information; I would not question your statement of Geneva's intentions for the gentleman's size President ( the midi and lady's size of course being the norm on 18ct models in those sizes), as older gold pieces are clearly more your area of expertise.

With kind regards,

Haywood M

Yes you are correct, this period is quite interesting to me. New watches had bands switched out by Ad in those days, a sale was a sale to the ad . I guess if you bought it on leather or were a second owner and wanted a change this occurred quite often also. This period is complicated as we must remember Rolex licensed out making these bands to Argentinian and Japanese band makers at this time with regard to president bracelets as well as the swiss made bands
Old 6 January 2015, 06:10 PM   #14
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
I paid less than what the head alone is worth, and the band is 18K, so I'm not terribly disappointed that the band is not genuine. It was not sold as being genuine. Thanks for your input.
Here is a closer pic just because.....

If it was not sold as being genuine then why do you come on here and ask if it is?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 12:02 AM   #15
goldfixer21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
If it was not sold as being genuine then why do you come on here and ask if it is?
Because I wanted to know if it was. I really am surprised sometimes by the crass responses to questions on this forum. Crown Collection NEVER responds with sarcasm or insults, just his opinions. Many others feel the need to belittle. Some of us are trying to obtain knowledge, instead many get heckled.
Old 7 January 2015, 12:09 AM   #16
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Because I wanted to know if it was. I really am surprised sometimes by the crass responses to questions on this forum. Crown Collection NEVER responds with sarcasm or insults, just his opinions. Many others feel the need to belittle. Some of us are trying to obtain knowledge, instead many get heckled.

I was a bit shocked as well by the tenor of some of the responces.

And... I'm not talking about Haywood and David, both of whom in their respective fields are true assets to our community.
nsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 01:12 AM   #17
southtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
I was a bit shocked as well by the tenor of some of the responces.

And... I'm not talking about Haywood and David, both of whom in their respective fields are true assets to our community.
N-I'd be shocked if the usual suspect(s) DIDN'T provide rude responses. I'd wonder if their username got hijacked.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 02:38 AM   #18
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorry if you got offended by my question but when someone says he didn't buy it as authentic and then still asks if it is kinda rubs me the wrong way.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote