The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 May 2007, 06:02 AM   #1
scott22

Questions about purchasing a Tag Heuer Carrera

Hello,

I am the proud owner of two Rolexes (black Submariner date and LV Submariner), and I seem to have caught the watch bug. Although there are other Rolexes I have my eye on (such as the white Explorer II, or possibly a GMT-II), I can't justify buying another Rolex for awhile. I was looking at different watch brands and came across one that I really like: the Tag Heuer Carrera watch with black perforated strap and blue chronograph dial.

I haven't seen this watch in person, but really like the looks of it, and I'm looking for a watch with a more comfortable/adjustable strap than the Submariners for days when I'm really active in the heat and humidity, for example kayaking or mountain biking. (I find that the Rolexes fit great when it's dry and cool, but when it gets hot and humid here, they end up uncomfortably tight by the middle of the day. If I adjust the band to the next wider setting, it fits OK when it's really hot and humid but flops around when it's not, for example if I go inside where it's air conditioned. This isn't a huge problem but for the worst days, I would rather have the option of a non-metal strap, and the Carrera looks like it could fit the bill.)

Anyway, does anyone have comments on the Tag Heuer Carrera? Is this a reasonable watch? (I'm prepared for mixed responses on a Rolex forum, but I've learned to trust you folks.)

AuthenticWatches.com has a picture at:

http://www.authenticwatches.com/cv2015fc6205.html

Although I would only buy this from an Authorized Dealer. AuthenticWatches claims that the list price if $2795. Can one expect to get a discount on this watch from a Tag Heuer dealer? (AuthenticWatches is selling it for $1775 but I assume they are a grey market dealer.) It seems most Rolex dealers in the U.S. don't like to go below retail. I don't have a feel for what Tag Heuer is like, though. I know most authorized dealers offer discounts off list price on Seikos and other brands.

Anyway, any comments are welcome. Thanks!
scott22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 06:21 AM   #2
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Congrats on a good call. Tags are really slick looking. Although I don't care much for most of their line-up, I've always loved both the Carerra and the Monaco.
Your reasoning for a strap over a bracelet seems solid, and in that case the strap included with that specific watch will work nicely, though IMO rubber and leather are more oppressive in the heat and humidity than steel. The blue and orange on the model you have pictured is beautiful (see, Rolex...THAT'S how you do orange), and I think it will make a very attractive piece for active use.
I think you'll have a MUCH easier time getting a discount from an AD on a Tag than you would on a Rolex. When I was between a Monaco/Carerra and Omega Speedy I had no problem getting discount offers on both...usually to the tune of about 25%. Good luck on your search!
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 06:42 AM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Welcome to TRF Scott

The Carrera is a great watch. The strap is a good call for what you need it for. Personally this would be my choice. I've seen one in person and it is a beauty. It's also available on a strap. Discounts can be had on them when purchasing from an AD, especially if you're paying cash.

Old 21 May 2007, 07:07 AM   #4
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I agree that certain Tag Carrera designs are very classy looking and are a fine purchase when you consider the hefty discounts available.

This one, but on a brown croc strap is quite nice. A bit like a 6263 with a date function
Old 20 April 2008, 07:08 AM   #5
NickTiming

Watch: daytona+ royal oak
dont purchase from AuthenticWatches.com..

my personal experience was no bueno with them

i personally purchase an omega planet ocean seamaster from them, of course the watch was perfect but they do not give you any papers, the only proof you have that its real is their word and maybe if you go to a store who can identify, but they ask not to go to OMEGA store, they do not give you the original warranty, absolutly nothing identifying the watch to its coming from a real manufact. i honeslty will never purchase from them again, it was a hassel getting them to understand that i wanted to recieve the original papers apart from just the box manual and their (authenticwatches.com) warranty which didnt mean anything as if you read well they have major loop holes, everything about that company seems bizare.

if you have any questions feel free to ask away. i hope this will help. please remember and consider that i like to have my watches with everything, some just like to get the watch and that is all. yes you pay cheaper but for something cheaper!.
NickTiming is offline   Reply With Quote