The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 January 2015, 06:25 AM   #1
goodtrader
"TRF" Member

anyone know about 6202?

I saw this one for sale and I love the patina... Does it seem original?

Does anyone know anything about these Turn-o-graphs? Are they desirable/collectable? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex6202_01.JPG (67.7 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex6202_02.JPG (62.0 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex6202_03.JPG (85.3 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex6202_04.JPG (64.0 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex6202_05.JPG (59.7 KB, 329 views)
goodtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2015, 07:03 AM   #2
Paul
"TRF" Member

Some good info. and pics in this attachment ....

6202 are iconic watches - deserving of their place in Rolex history I say.
They have a keen following - a few come up for sale each year - often not fully correct.
Many have lost their original inserts and we sometimes see strange dials and bezels.

The smaller case - compared to 5513s and the like - might detract a few buyers.
And the 1030 movement is too old to be accepted for service at RSCs too.

The ultra-rare 6202 Monometer is the watch I want to add to my collection one day.

Can't help the OP you with an assessment of originality but here's a link to some great 6202 info.
All credit to RPR good fella, Philipp Stahl

http://rolexpassionreport.com/10077/...-pre-milgauss/
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2015, 07:43 AM   #3
goodtrader
"TRF" Member

Thank you Paul... that is really helpful!
goodtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2015, 08:13 AM   #4
Lgear080
Banned

Would need much better photos and a dial scan. Hands are incorrect.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2015, 08:21 AM   #5
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Would need an expert to look at better and larger photos. The hands have been replaced. The movement is actually older than a 1030, a semi-bubbleback 645 / A260 that in some ways is harder to work on and less people have experience working on them these days - but there are good ones out there.

Dial looks like something may have been used to coat it? Not sure based on photos. Also not clear enough but is that the correct insert (very rare) or a replacement aged to look rare. My spidey senses say it is good but need much better photos.

They are great pieces but small, smaller than an Explorer, which is smaller than a "Bond" Sub, which is smaller than a 5513
Old 10 January 2015, 08:38 AM   #6
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Looks relumed.
Old 10 January 2015, 12:07 PM   #7
Paul
"TRF" Member

Whoops - Movement calibre

[QUOTE=linesiders;5527156]....... The movement is actually older than a 1030, a semi-bubbleback 645 / A260 that in some ways is harder to work on and less people have experience working on them these days - but there are good ones out there .....

Sorry. John's absolutely right that the 6202 has the A260 movement.
A dinosaur nowadays but quite serviceable and a well-maintained A260 will run for ever.
Not easy to source parts though so a service history (if available) would be an advantage when buying.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2015, 03:05 AM   #8
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Well....I would disagree if only slightly....the A 260...is basically a perfected version of the 630 and really...and only from my personal experience...is likely very often to give less trouble than a 1030.

While yes certain parts like rotor axles are pricey and scarce...90% are good.

Being shock resisting they haven't gone through a lot of staffing so they generally run pretty true.

Granted the bigger balance of the 1030 and the more standardized parts give an advantage...but 1030 parts are scarcer...more costly...etc.

Take a crown wheel....you would probably almost never see a broken one on an a 260..which is the same as a 620/630/or even 600 manual wind...that was made for geez 40 years? I have probably 30 used ones. If you needed one I would give it to you for free. Now don't 30 people call...cause I won't have any left but you get the idea.

A 1030 crown wheel $250.00 :-/ and they break ALL THE TIME...because the reversers get stiff from gummy oil... and you go to wind it manually and oppose...uh oh...you lunched 2 teeth.

Reversing wheels and drivers are pretty resilient IF you can ever get them cleaned out completely...generally several runs through the cleaning machine is necessary and then getting them freed up and lubricated....so that they run easily....but wear is often there and the tolerances are tight...and there is a huge gear reduction going on....so when manually winding it needs to be really free or you break crown wheel teeth. Reversing wheels....a new set is probably gonna run you 200.00 if you can find 'em.

Maybe it's me but I just have better luck with A 260's on average.

1030 also wears badly on the barrel bridge...and also the center wheel hole in the maniplate.

Don't get me wrong the 1030 series are great...but often when they aren't...very hard to get to behave and trouble shoot.

Turn O Graph is very very rare...from time to time you see a few of them for sale in waves in the mid price range....because they aren't as iconically popular...but they are really not as many around as more popular watches. The bezels wear badly and original bezels and inserts are often worth more than an 18k gold date just.

Just throwing the other side out there.

I have one...I love it.

It's actually wears larger than one would think.

It's a tiny bit bigger than a 6084 but not quite as large as an explorer.

It uses 20mm bracelet...34 mm watches use 19mm.

So it's a little in between. On your wrist you wouldn't find much difference between it and a 6610 except in weight because of the lighter movement me thinks.

Prices are very dependent on condition and originality of parts.

Non original dial/bezel/hands/bracelet...under 5k.

Original dial and hands/aftermarket bezel....under 8.5k probably.

A decent bezel and insert will cost upwards of 3k and you may wait years.

Insert is worth more than the bezel.

Also another problem is the crystal retaining ring. They are thin and prone to stretch. A friend with a bezel shrinking tool is very helpful :-)

The crystal is no longer available AT ALL and original ones are out there but they are as pricey as a super dome.

Prices vary because as I said...they don't sell often and consistently enough in similar states of health to give a good over view.

Near Perfect-Full Set-skies the limit.

Always run one of interest by the forums for feedback.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2015, 03:07 AM   #9
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Also though the dial on this one you post may have some re lume or sealing of the lume or overcoat of lacquer...whatever...it is an OCC and actually most TOG were NOT OCC.

So that is a plus...I would say 10% maybe if I could throw a number. But I'm not seeing any "SWISS" at the bottom...so the whole dial is suspect.
Old 12 January 2015, 08:08 PM   #10
marcello pisani
"TRF" Member

you are right Tommy as ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
Also though the dial on this one you post may have some re lume or sealing of the lume or overcoat of lacquer...whatever...it is an OCC and actually most TOG were NOT OCC.

So that is a plus...I would say 10% maybe if I could throw a number. But I'm not seeing any "SWISS" at the bottom...so the whole dial is suspect.
the only 6202 " chronometer " I have ever seen are in fact the " Monometer " series and one with white/cream honeycomb dial many years ago ( this last really rarer than hens' teeth .. )
marcello pisani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2015, 03:54 AM   #11
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Hi Marcello,

Definitely....Monometer....Tres Rare. :-)

I have seen a few OCC Turn O Graphs for sale that weren't monometers.

Not very many...not in person.
Old 13 January 2015, 03:55 AM   #12
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Here are 2

http://www.network54.com/Forum/53962...+by+RichardNYC

http://www.network54.com/Forum/53962...ed+by+16520Man
Old 13 January 2015, 01:04 PM   #13
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
Well....I would disagree if only slightly....the A 260...is basically a perfected version of the 630 and really...and only from my personal experience...is likely very often to give less trouble than a 1030.

While yes certain parts like rotor axles are pricey and scarce...90% are good.

Being shock resisting they haven't gone through a lot of staffing so they generally run pretty true.

Granted the bigger balance of the 1030 and the more standardized parts give an advantage...but 1030 parts are scarcer...more costly...etc.

Take a crown wheel....you would probably almost never see a broken one on an a 260..which is the same as a 620/630/or even 600 manual wind...that was made for geez 40 years? I have probably 30 used ones. If you needed one I would give it to you for free. Now don't 30 people call...cause I won't have any left but you get the idea.

A 1030 crown wheel $250.00 :-/ and they break ALL THE TIME...because the reversers get stiff from gummy oil... and you go to wind it manually and oppose...uh oh...you lunched 2 teeth.

Reversing wheels and drivers are pretty resilient IF you can ever get them cleaned out completely...generally several runs through the cleaning machine is necessary and then getting them freed up and lubricated....so that they run easily....but wear is often there and the tolerances are tight...and there is a huge gear reduction going on....so when manually winding it needs to be really free or you break crown wheel teeth. Reversing wheels....a new set is probably gonna run you 200.00 if you can find 'em.

Maybe it's me but I just have better luck with A 260's on average.

1030 also wears badly on the barrel bridge...and also the center wheel hole in the maniplate.

Don't get me wrong the 1030 series are great...but often when they aren't...very hard to get to behave and trouble shoot.

Turn O Graph is very very rare...from time to time you see a few of them for sale in waves in the mid price range....because they aren't as iconically popular...but they are really not as many around as more popular watches. The bezels wear badly and original bezels and inserts are often worth more than an 18k gold date just.

Just throwing the other side out there.

I have one...I love it.

It's actually wears larger than one would think.

It's a tiny bit bigger than a 6084 but not quite as large as an explorer.

It uses 20mm bracelet...34 mm watches use 19mm.

So it's a little in between. On your wrist you wouldn't find much difference between it and a 6610 except in weight because of the lighter movement me thinks.

Prices are very dependent on condition and originality of parts.

Non original dial/bezel/hands/bracelet...under 5k.

Original dial and hands/aftermarket bezel....under 8.5k probably.

A decent bezel and insert will cost upwards of 3k and you may wait years.

Insert is worth more than the bezel.

Also another problem is the crystal retaining ring. They are thin and prone to stretch. A friend with a bezel shrinking tool is very helpful :-)

The crystal is no longer available AT ALL and original ones are out there but they are as pricey as a super dome.

Prices vary because as I said...they don't sell often and consistently enough in similar states of health to give a good over view.

Near Perfect-Full Set-skies the limit.

Always run one of interest by the forums for feedback.
Your watch it stunning!!!
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is online now   Reply With Quote