The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 February 2015, 11:01 PM   #1
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Establishing yourself with a distant Patek AD/Long Distance relationships

So there are no local Patek ADs for me, I have to get on a plane or drive 10-12 hours. I have contacted 3 of the Canadian Patek ADs and received a response from 2, only one of which actually answered any of my questions and was polite and friendly. The issue is they are in Alberta and I am in Nova Scotia, so about a 7 hour flight. The guy I was talking to mentioned I would be able to put a deposit down to get on a waiting list for a watch (I want a 5167A) but to make the purchase I would need to come in, in person. Which wouldn't be a big deal.

My question is, does anyone else travel to deal with their established AD, aside from the time and travel costs are there any cons to doing so? Do they allow you to ship them your watch for service? This is one thing I will need to confirm as when looking into the Vacheron overseas, their closest AD said I could not ship my watch to them for them to service and I would need to fly there and deliver it in person for every issue and service.
dexvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 12:29 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexvd View Post
So there are no local Patek ADs for me, I have to get on a plane or drive 10-12 hours. I have contacted 3 of the Canadian Patek ADs and received a response from 2, only one of which actually answered any of my questions and was polite and friendly. The issue is they are in Alberta and I am in Nova Scotia, so about a 7 hour flight. The guy I was talking to mentioned I would be able to put a deposit down to get on a waiting list for a watch (I want a 5167A) but to make the purchase I would need to come in, in person. Which wouldn't be a big deal.

My question is, does anyone else travel to deal with their established AD, aside from the time and travel costs are there any cons to doing so? Do they allow you to ship them your watch for service? This is one thing I will need to confirm as when looking into the Vacheron overseas, their closest AD said I could not ship my watch to them for them to service and I would need to fly there and deliver it in person for every issue and service.
My AD is about a 6 hour drive away but I gather it is easier to deal over the phone in the states. For service my watch would go to stern in NY, not sure where Canadian customers ship theirs....

Why not use the AD in Montreal or toronto? Much closer.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 12:51 AM   #3
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Haven't been able to get a response out of Toronto by email... Haven't called but as I would prefer to email, I'm not sure I would want to deal with a dealer that is generally unresponsive via email, even if it would mean half the flying time and cost... Montreal did respond but ignored all of my questions and said they don't have one in stock...
From what I understand I can also save about 10% on the cost of the watch due to lower taxes in Alberta... Would make up for the more expensive flights on an Aquanaut and when dealing with more expensive Patek watches down the road it would save a lot.

Not as relevant but if I do move in the future it would most likely be to Alberta.
Old 6 February 2015, 01:08 AM   #4
supra8903
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
give george at goveburg jewerlers a call. In USA (PA), but know he should be able to help you, and he is a great guy.
supra8903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 01:36 AM   #5
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra8903 View Post
give george at goveburg jewerlers a call. In USA (PA), but know he should be able to help you, and he is a great guy.
The thing with the US dealers is the fear of dealing with brokerage fees bringing it back to Canada, making it more expensive than purchasing locally. I would also have concerns about getting it serviced Goveburg mentioned that if I purchased an Overseas there I may have trouble shipping it to them for service, part of the reason I eventually settled on the Aquanaut as the non-Rolex sports watch solution for me (that and I don't like the new dial as much as the old style).
Old 6 February 2015, 05:36 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Haven't been able to get a response out of Toronto by email... Haven't called but as I would prefer to email, I'm not sure I would want to deal with a dealer that is generally unresponsive via email, even if it would mean half the flying time and cost... Montreal did respond but ignored all of my questions and said they don't have one in stock...
From what I understand I can also save about 10% on the cost of the watch due to lower taxes in Alberta... Would make up for the more expensive flights on an Aquanaut and when dealing with more expensive Patek watches down the road it would save a lot.

Not as relevant but if I do move in the future it would most likely be to Alberta.
The taxes would be huge, no pst there? Shame they won't ship but I guess Alberta would be the way to go.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 06:39 AM   #7
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
The taxes would be huge, no pst there? Shame they won't ship but I guess Alberta would be the way to go.
The guy I was speaking with mentioned that he couldn't ship it to me as they are affiliated with another local jeweller here in my province (Birks). I also am of the impression that Patek prefers to sell to people in person but with the tax difference it would be like getting ~10% discount and considering there is a waitlist I'm guessing thats the only way I could get a discount, used ones get listed within a couple grand of the new price for this one with taxes...

Someone from the forum gave me a referral from his guy in Montreal so I will see what comes of that.

Also it pisses me off that Humbertown jewellers in Toronto have ignored 3 emails from me in the past couple months.... I understand I would probably get through right away via phone but I find most times, even when dealing with my local Rolex AD, they don't have all of the answers off the top of their heads and need to get back to me and I prefer to have a written copy of the answers, so I don't need to ask again later.

Old 6 February 2015, 06:49 AM   #8
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Quote:
The guy I was speaking with mentioned that he couldn't ship it to me as they are affiliated with another local jeweller here in my province (Birks). I also am of the impression that Patek prefers to sell to people in person but with the tax difference it would be like getting ~10% discount and considering there is a waitlist I'm guessing thats the only way I could get a discount, used ones get listed within a couple grand of the new price for this one with taxes...

Someone from the forum gave me a referral from his guy in Montreal so I will see what comes of that.

Also it pisses me off that Humbertown jewellers in Toronto have ignored 3 emails from me in the past couple months.... I understand I would probably get through right away via phone but I find most times, even when dealing with my local Rolex AD, they don't have all of the answers off the top of their heads and need to get back to me and I prefer to have a written copy of the answers, so I don't need to ask again later.

Humbertown's communication is terrible! I have my left my name with them several times over at least five years and have never received a single call back. Don't waste your time!

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 07:08 AM   #9
de66
"TRF" Member

We get some of those here in Europe too. Those kind dont deserve to get your business.
One that comes to mind here in Europe is Mahlberg jewelers in Hamburg. I took the time to find out who is in charge and Sent a peronally addressed email. They actually have an extensive website where a Mr. Patrick Wallinger is pictured and mentioned as co-owner. I wrote to him with my enquiry about several PP models, asking for proces and which models they currently have in stock and available for immediate release/sale.
They took the time to answer but here is what I got:

Sehr geehrter Herr xxxxx (edited),

darf ich fragen wie Sie auf unser Unternehmen, bzw auf meinen Namen kommen..??

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

P. Wallinger

He is asking how I got to to his business and his name. After courteously answering that a friend of mine recommended them and that their website provides all information including emails and his name and title I asked for him to courteously answer my questions as well.
Instead one week later I got the same email with the content listed above. Never answered any of my questions. Amazing. Unprofessional.
Stay away from them. They dont deserve our business in my opinion. Looks like they dont need it anyway.

It seems like "recession" and "downturn" have little or no meaning to some people and they feel that we as customers should be privileged to bring them our hard earned cash.
There are also others in the spectrum and i would highly recommend Mrs. Hasselbusch from Hansen Jewelers Hamburg as one of the friendliest customer service oriented ones.
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 08:50 AM   #10
sizzle
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I live in Toronto, but go to Calgary all the time on business. I've actually bought several Rolex/Panerai from the Patek AD in Calgary. I've got a 5711 on order there as well. These folks are really good to deal with, and i've found their service and pricing extremely competitive with even non-AD dealers. I'm sure that once you build a rapport with them, they'll be able to accommodate your service needs.
sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 09:06 AM   #11
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
I live in Toronto, but go to Calgary all the time on business. I've actually bought several Rolex/Panerai from the Patek AD in Calgary. I've got a 5711 on order there as well. These folks are really good to deal with, and i've found their service and pricing extremely competitive with even non-AD dealers. I'm sure that once you build a rapport with them, they'll be able to accommodate your service needs.
Awesome stories like that (especially considering you are discussing the AD I am most strongly considering right now) builds up my confidence about going for it and putting a deposit in on the other side of the country.
Old 6 February 2015, 09:20 AM   #12
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
You should be able to bring the Patek to any AD for after sales service even if you did not purchase it from them, so you can always buy from Alberta and bring it to Montreal for servicing.
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 09:40 AM   #13
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
Email does not work with Patek ADs. Call, introduce yourself, get a name, have a conversation. Call back to follow up. THEN you can email. At least that is how it works for me.
Old 6 February 2015, 09:42 AM   #14
Onceupon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400G,216570,
I have had dealings with the PP AD here in Calgary as well and have to say they are my favorite dealer here in the Calgary area.

I have gone in many times and they have always made time to talk with me.

You will not regret dealing with them.
Onceupon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 03:03 PM   #15
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgbaj View Post
Email does not work with Patek ADs. Call, introduce yourself, get a name, have a conversation. Call back to follow up. THEN you can email. At least that is how it works for me.
I agree that many Patek ADs do not respond to email. Many Patek ADs are still very old school in this way. Once you have visited their store in person and purchased a Patek watch from them, then they are more likely to respond to your email as you are now an "existing customer" and likely to return to purchase another watch. As with any business, many stores get bombarded with tons of email, some serious and some just part of a mass email.

When I email a Patek AD, I write to them indicating that I will be visiting their city on a specific date and would like to visit their store. Then I inquire as to if they have a certain reference I am looking for. They know that I am serious and I am a potential customer if I give out the above information.

For random inquiry about availability, it is best to pick up the phone and call them the old fashioned way.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 03:10 PM   #16
bombardior
"TRF" Member

In the US my dealer allowed me to purchase over the phone with credit card. Shipped it overnight insured to me the next day. It was a 5711 and had a tiny issue of date being left justified as some guys may remember. My AD graciously offered to cover all my shipping expenses and gave me a label for overnight insured back to them and they sent it to stern overnight the next day. Honestly I would just drive down to the U.S. to buy it if I were you. Customs... Well no ones gonna notice an aquanaut if you don't say anything and especially if you wear it back and ship back the box to your place.
bombardior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2015, 03:12 PM   #17
bombardior
"TRF" Member

and ps: my Patek AD responds to my (many) emails within minutes if it's working hours for them so YMMV on the Patek ad not responding to emails thing. I'm not a super vip customer either it was my first purchase with them.
bombardior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2015, 04:35 PM   #18
ju5t1nb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
I can't say enough good things about Calgary's PP AD, Although i live in Calgary I've purchased a couple rolex's from them and i just got a 5167 two month ago. They really do go out of their way to please! However, i think they try to put the locals first.
ju5t1nb is offline   Reply With Quote