The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 March 2006, 05:19 AM   #1
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Warning!!! NATO Bond Strap

I just want to tell you all about a problem I've found with the Bond NATO strap. You all know I've been wearing my new 14060M on one. The other day while at work I found myself having to lean up against something and supporting my weight with only my left hand. The pressure imposed on my watch from my hand being bent back so far caused the pin at the 6 position to pop free of the lug holes.Luckily the pin at the 12 position remained secure and the watch did not come free from the strap altogether, as I was involved with something where I was unable to stop and retrieve the watch if it did.

I took it to my AD to get a new pin and to have the lugs and case given a once over just in case of a problem or defect. The AD assured me that there is no problem with the watch. He went on to say that although NATO Bond straps are popular for their Bond memorabilia value they were infamously insecure for the watch itself.

The butterfly type links that the pin itself goes through to attach the non SEL bracelet to the watch case provide security and strength against tension placed against the watch, thus taking the bulk of the responsibility off of the pins themselves.

According to the AD the NATO strap should never be worn when doing any kind of vigorous or strenuous activity. Luckily learning this lesson didn't cost me $3800, hopefully now it won't cost any of you this amount either
Old 13 March 2006, 06:14 AM   #2
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
I just want to tell you all about a problem I've found with the Bond NATO strap. You all know I've been wearing my new 14060M on one. The other day while at work I found myself having to lean up against something and supporting my weight with only my left hand. The pressure imposed on my watch from my hand being bent back so far caused the pin at the 6 position to pop free of the lug holes.

Hi Craig,

Well, the watches that were originally fitted with the NATO strap were modified. They had the spring bars replaced with solid bars that were soldered to the case. I guess this is only possible with watches which have the 'older' lug holes. How's life at you end?
Old 13 March 2006, 06:24 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
Hi Craig,

Well, the watches that were originally fitted with the NATO strap were modified. They had the spring bars replaced with solid bars that were soldered to the case. I guess this is only possible with watches which have the 'older' lug holes. How's life at you end?
Now you tell me about the solid bars . Things are good, seeing as I was lucky enough to keep my watch
Old 13 March 2006, 06:30 AM   #4
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
Now you tell me about the solid bars . Things are good, seeing as I was lucky enough to keep my watch
You never asked The solid bars are a one way street, unless you are prepared you have some custom work done on the watch. Drilling holes through the lugs and tapping thread in them. Then have special bars made like a long screw without a head. That way you can still use the bracelet.
Old 13 March 2006, 06:32 AM   #5
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
You never asked The solid bars are a one way street, unless you are prepared you have some custom work done on the watch. Drilling holes through the lugs and tapping thread in them. Then have special bars made like a long screw without a head. That way you can still use the bracelet.
That might be worth looking into, Thanks, Fransie I guess I'll take back MOST of the bad things I said about you

Last edited by C.J.; 13 March 2006 at 06:33 AM..
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2006, 03:23 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Thanks for the update, CJ. Fortunately, I dislike that strap so I should never find myself in such a situation.

BTW, what kind of strenuous and vigorous activity were you up to, tosser?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote