The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 June 2015, 09:24 AM   #1
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
SS Diver Vs 116600

Has anyone got some good side by side pics of the SS ROO diver next to a 116600

Thanks in advance
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2015, 01:55 PM   #2
grnman
"TRF" Member

Watch: watch what?
does this help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L5YS60sx9c
grnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2015, 02:07 PM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Traditional diver timing is so easy to use. Vs AP diver takes a bit of effort.
Old 7 June 2015, 09:33 PM   #4
SC11
Banned

Thanks guys but was more after a size comparison and some views if anyone has both.

I'm considering adding the SS diver to my collection but have no intention of flipping my 116600
Old 7 June 2015, 10:09 PM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Thanks guys but was more after a size comparison and some views if anyone has both.

I'm considering adding the SS diver to my collection but have no intention of flipping my 116600
I had both at the same time ... in that case height wise they wear the same.
The diver is very comfy. even a bit more comfortable than the SD. (both gone now)
Old 7 June 2015, 10:28 PM   #6
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Rolex if you plan to wear it everday. AP if it's more night and weekend. Finishing on the AP is on another level, but as such, will show scratches, etc. a bit more than the Rolex. I have a Sub daily.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2015, 10:44 PM   #7
SC11
Banned

Guys sorry I could of choose a better title really but I'm not choosing between the SS Diver and the 116600!

I already have a 116600 and it's going no where I debating adding the diver.
Old 7 June 2015, 11:14 PM   #8
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
The diver is very comfy. even a bit more comfortable than the SD. (both gone now)
Out of interest what did you move them on for?

I recently sold a 116600 to go gold but missed it within hours repurchased and decided I couldn't just drop down to one watch and really PM is out of my league.

The thing is the 116600 is such a great Rolex by far the best SS model in my opinion, my Daytona hardly sees daylight.

Currently have the Daytona up for sale and think I'm going to stuggle with finding another Rolex to share wrist time so though I'd look into diversing my collection (guess a pair is a collection)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
Rolex if you plan to wear it everday. AP if it's more night and weekend. Finishing on the AP is on another level, but as such, will show scratches, etc. a bit more than the Rolex. I have a Sub daily.
That is one concern of mine! I did look at the FC and Ceramic divers but far out of my price range, one of my pet hates is scratched bezels as my Daytona and previous Milgauss were prone to this issue.
Old 7 June 2015, 11:57 PM   #9
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Out of interest what did you move them on for?

I recently sold a 116600 to go gold but missed it within hours repurchased and decided I couldn't just drop down to one watch and really PM is out of my league.

The thing is the 116600 is such a great Rolex by far the best SS model in my opinion, my Daytona hardly sees daylight.

Currently have the Daytona up for sale and think I'm going to stuggle with finding another Rolex to share wrist time so though I'd look into diversing my collection (guess a pair is a collection)

That is one concern of mine! I did look at the FC and Ceramic divers but far out of my price range, one of my pet hates is scratched bezels as my Daytona and previous Milgauss were prone to this issue.
The SS diver was the worst watch I have ever owned with regard to showing bezel wear.

Have you considered a 42mm explorer?
Old 8 June 2015, 12:05 AM   #10
SC11
Banned

Quote:
The SS diver was the worst watch I have ever owned with regard to showing bezel wear.

that's not what I wanted to hear!

Oh how I wish the ceramic bezel was available on the SS..
Old 8 June 2015, 12:23 AM   #11
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Of course I am just one mans experience and perception.

Feel your pain but at least you heard it before purchase. AP design is incredible but the finish is so very precise and the angles are so sharp, it's inevitable.

I would look at the aquanaut or the explorer II for something that would compliment your SD. Or even a Panerai 000 or 111?
Old 8 June 2015, 12:33 AM   #12
csi-n
"TRF" Member

I would not be dissuaded just because the bezel is prone to scratching. The Diver is a superb model and looks great on the wrist. It certainly puts a smile on my face every time I wear it.

If I were you, I would buy it and experience it for myself.

Sam
csi-n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2015, 12:52 AM   #13
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Diver vs. Deepsea is the closest I can do ... sorry, never had a SeaDweller.

I would not be too worried about the bezel, it can always be refinished or replaced for a reasonable amount.

The Diver is very comfortable and fits just right.
Old 8 June 2015, 12:57 AM   #14
SC11
Banned

Thanks guys

Don't have an AP AD near me so will be a few weeks before I can actually get see one in person, schooling a newbie what's the difference between the older model with solid case and the new one with a clear case back (obviously apart from case back)

And what price should I be aiming for? (I'm in the UK)
Old 8 June 2015, 09:13 AM   #15
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Well while what Gus says is probably the case for many, I hardly had a mark on mine in 2 years, and yet my flatter ROC has marked up a lot more. So it does depend how carefully you wear it as it is not a guaranteed scratch magnet. And while ceramic is nice the brush finish on the SS bezel is exquisite. I remember Darren, Wights Watches were selling them for £9K.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2015, 09:24 PM   #16
SC11
Banned

Seriously considering the SS Diver now to compliment my 116600 as a two watch collection.

More owners feedback on the SS bezel and scratches please?

Never owned an AP in fact mainly been a pure Rolex collection, I've had a Milgauss and still have a Daytona which both only had minor bezel hairlines but they seemed to pick these up so easily and the finger prints drive me mad!
Old 15 June 2015, 04:52 AM   #17
Speed
"TRF" Member

I think you've heard it all re scratches. The AP diver is a "gentlemans" diver. That watch would get blasted against coral / rocks etc.

Fine brushed surface and 8 sharp pointed angles on the bezel beg to be scratched and mashed down.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 05:40 AM   #18
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:

Well I'm glad I will have the ceramic and not SS
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 08:11 AM   #19
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Depends upon how you wear it. I'm gentle with mine and still looks brand new, but it is tall and is easy to hit so if you're not so gentle then it can get marked up. If you want something scratch proof get a ceramic diver, more comparable to the ceramic-bezeled Deep Sea in that regard.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 09:25 AM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Depends upon how you wear it. I'm gentle with mine and still looks brand new, but it is tall and is easy to hit so if you're not so gentle then it can get marked up. If you want something scratch proof get a ceramic diver, more comparable to the ceramic-bezeled Deep Sea in that regard.
I wear my 5712 24/7 even sleep with it, it has micro scratches on the bracelet, nothing in the case and 4 tiny hairlines on the bezel you don't see them except under a certain light and angle, sure it's better without but it's made to be scratched except ceramic
Old 15 June 2015, 09:45 AM   #21
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
The SS Diver bezel can suffer from scratches and dings over time with prolonged wearing but it's not that bad. Unless you bang it hard against some objects leaving a big dent or ding, it is not going to be that noticeable. Again, a lot depends on how you wear it and how such things affects you. Some people are OCD over such things while others don't care at all. I am somewhere in between.

This is a recent shot of my Diver. After 2+ years, I have collected 2 dings, 3 scratches and 2 chips on the bezel. Can you spot them?

benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 09:54 AM   #22
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Here are photos I just snapped within the last five minutes of my Diver and 15400. The Diver is a year old this month and the 15400 is coming up on two, and neither have been polished, ever.

116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 09:56 AM   #23
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Diver vs. Deepsea is the closest I can do ... sorry, never had a SeaDweller.

I would not be too worried about the bezel, it can always be refinished or replaced for a reasonable amount.

The Diver is very comfortable and fits just right.
Two great photos of two great watches, Serg.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 10:03 AM   #24
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Hey Patrick man! Long time no see!
Old 23 January 2016, 08:01 AM   #25
R332
2024 Pledge Member

Bump - I would love to see pics of a 116600 Sea-Dweller or full-size DSSD beside a Diver or even a 42mm ROO.

In the pics that masterserg posted the DSSD almost seems to wear smaller on the wrist than the Diver. The DSSD is slowing less air gap at the end of the lugs and the extra ~2mm in case height isn't noticeable but maybe other photos would show it differently?
R332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2016, 11:41 AM   #26
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R332 View Post
Bump - I would love to see pics of a 116600 Sea-Dweller or full-size DSSD beside a Diver or even a 42mm ROO.

In the pics that masterserg posted the DSSD almost seems to wear smaller on the wrist than the Diver. The DSSD is slowing less air gap at the end of the lugs and the extra ~2mm in case height isn't noticeable but maybe other photos would show it differently?
Wrist are always different, a 7 1/4 wrist can be flat and wide, or thick, or... The only way is to try on the watch. As much as I love the AP ROO Diver, I tried loving it on the wrist and owned it twice, but the flat caseback sitting wide didn't work well the anatomy of my wrist. The DSSD, while rather top heavy and thick, fits my wrist better, and offer more flexibility in terms of different straps.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2016, 07:12 AM   #27
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My ceramic diver is ten times more comfy than my 2 subs, GMT or daytona, you don't even feel it's there, it's clearly a step above ROlex in many things, Rolex is a good brand, AP is great, the diver is an awesome watch, in SS is very cool, now on ceramic or forged carbon it's just awesome, don't like the new chrono divers though, they look like toys and cost a fortune for what they are...
Old 25 January 2016, 12:29 PM   #28
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
The one thing that surprised me about the Diver is the play between the rubber strap and the case with those hinges. I thought it would be a super tight fit but it's not. There's a fair amount of play in it and it turned me off a bit.
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote