The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 March 2016, 03:43 PM   #1
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
ROO Date wheel stuck & watch running slow

Hey all,

So as many of you know I just purchased my first AP. Unfortunately I noticed right away my watch was running a bit slow. Nothing crazy but definitely out of COSC standards, although I'm not sure what standards these watches subscribe to. Anyway it's Probably about -5 SPD.

I honestly wasn't even going to mention the accuracy issue, and just hope it would need a little time to break in. But now, I have a second issue, so I figure this warrants a request for advice an info.

In addition to the slow timing, the date wheel has been stuck for the past 40m (since midnight). So what's the deal here? Are these common issues? Is this something I'll have to send the watch in for?

I'm not as concerned about AP having to make adjustments, just upset to potentially part from my watch.

So, any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 04:18 PM   #2
Johnnie Peh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 44 SS 44 RG.
Will have to send it in and apsc will take care of it. Time loss on the 26470 is not something unheard of. But date stuck is.
Johnnie Peh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 04:21 PM   #3
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Send to APSC

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 04:26 PM   #4
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Time loss and date sticking issues are not normal issues. There really isn't "normal" issues but some early 3120/3126 movements had issues with running fast. My APs usually run a little fast new and settle in at a second or two fast per day. Never had a date issue. I would reset the time/date and give it a full wind and see if it happens again before sending it in. If there is an issue just email Betsy at [email protected] and she'll take great care of you.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 04:27 PM   #5
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Peh View Post
Will have to send it in and apsc will take care of it. Time loss on the 26470 is not something unheard of. But date stuck is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairdude1 View Post
Send to APSC

Well, that sucks!

So, the date finally turned over only a few minutes after a made the thread. So in total it was about 44 minutes with it stuck. Also I've had no issues whatsoever with the date for the past 2-3 weeks since I've had the watch.

With all that info do you guys still think it has to go for service?
Old 3 March 2016, 04:31 PM   #6
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Time loss and date sticking issues are not normal issues. My APs usually run a little fast new and settle in at a second or two fast per day. Never had a date issue. I would reset the time/date and give it a full wind and see if it happens again before sending it in. If there is an issue just email Betsy at [email protected] and she'll take great care of you.
Thanks Jim! Will do.
Old 3 March 2016, 04:59 PM   #7
SamGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Send it to APSC and they will fix it, as it's still under warranty so no worries! Nothing new and I'm not surprised on the crazy timing/stop on this movement! Just leave it to the good hands of APSC, just be prepared to wait 6 to 8 weeks.
SamGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 06:38 PM   #8
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
The 5sec per day seems normal to me, about the date I would make it turn manually to go through the 30 days a few times, maybe 2-4 months, and put it back to the present date, might break it in, if that don't work then maybe think about sending it in, about the time inaccuracy I am surprised that some here think it's really off, mine in about 10 days is usually off by 1 minute, sure I am sure they can regulate it better, but parting from it for a long time just for that no thanks, will just do it for the first service
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 09:55 PM   #9
PJ S
Banned

As above, cycle the datewheel a bit, using both quickset and time to do it.
With regards to the timekeeping, if it’s -5 secs consistently, then that’s a good sign.
If you make sure the movement is fully wound each night when you take it off, then play with the position you leave it to see if it changes.
You might find one position, crown up for example, in which it’ll gain most or all of the lost seconds back again.
If you remember or note down which does what, then you can average out the loss – or alternatively, just set the watch 35 secs fast each week.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 10:55 PM   #10
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks guys! I've already noticed that dial most upwards seems to run a little faster than all other positions, so I've been trying to rest it that way, however if I'm traveling it's not always easy since, as you know, the darn thing doesn't want to sit upright unless in some type of upright case.

I cycled through the date as suggested. I'll give it a little more time to see how it operates and if need be I'll send it in.

One other thing I noticed which is also kind of alarming. Last night, I did cycle through the date, reset the time and gave it a good wind up. What I noticed by eye and then by checking the time against my app, is that while winding the watch the second hand was visibly slowing down. I mean many seconds within the span of half a minute, but only while I was touching the crown/winding the watch.

What do you make of that?

Side note: can it be over wound? I know a modern Rolex can't be "over wound", same thing or no?

Thansk again everyone!
Old 3 March 2016, 10:59 PM   #11
racxcoon
"TRF" Member

AP doesn't get their watches COSC certified am I correct? If you call the RSC they will say -5 seconds per day is normal. I think I have seen some watches on the forum run +11 seconds per day.

That's an awesome watch. I hope it gets fixed soon
racxcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 11:02 PM   #12
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racxcoon View Post
AP doesn't get their watches COSC certified am I correct? If you call the RSC they will say -5 seconds per day is normal. I think I have seen some watches on the forum run +11 seconds per day.

That's an awesome watch. I hope it gets fixed soon
Thanks me too.

I'm also curious about the AP timing standards are. -5SPD should raise concern over at RSC on a COSC watch as it would fall out of spec. (-4/+6) daily average.
Old 3 March 2016, 11:50 PM   #13
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
One other thing I noticed which is also kind of alarming. Last night, I did cycle through the date, reset the time and gave it a good wind up. What I noticed by eye and then by checking the time against my app, is that while winding the watch the second hand was visibly slowing down. I mean many seconds within the span of half a minute, but only while I was touching the crown/winding the watch.

What do you make of that?

Side note: can it be over wound? I know a modern Rolex can't be "over wound", same thing or no?
Modern automatics can’t be overwound – the mainspring slips within the barrel when it gets to that stage.

As for the seconds hand slowing whilst winding, that shouldn’t happen, and sounds like the hacking function partially engaging.
If you can spare the time, visit an AD with other chrono ROOs and see if they exhibit the same slowdown when winding it’s movement.
If they don’t, then it would be an indication that yours isn’t operating as it should.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 12:38 AM   #14
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I saw the date wheel on an older FC 44 I had take some time to cycle through ... about what you describe. TBH, as long as it was ok the next morning I didn't care at the time. I never bothered checking my current one ...

If in doubt, call Clearwater. You can always take care of it when you send it for the B1 check for the third year warranty (maybe one year from now).

If stuck in the morning, obviously that is a different story but it does not seem to be the case.

What is odd is that it did not happen initially and only now, so that might indicate some issue.
Old 4 March 2016, 07:00 AM   #15
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Honestly common with many watch APSC have you covered
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 01:23 PM   #16
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Better send it in and enjoy the watch within 4 weeks
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 01:51 PM   #17
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Too many red flags, send it in and it will come back functioning as it should. Sucks but I'm sure you have something to hold you over
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 02:45 PM   #18
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
I wouldn't part with it if it does change, there are times I actually don't even set the time on mine 😂😂😂 just looking at them makes me happy !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram: Chary1
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2016, 03:02 PM   #19
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Well, 12:01am! Full date change. So that's good news. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The winding/slowing seconds thing is obviously a concern but I'll see how things develop. Thank you again all!