The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 February 2016, 04:23 PM   #151
KarlS
Banned

I personally buy watches to enjoy them. I seldom flip and when I do it's because I made an initial mistake on the choice or taste has changed. That's at least 5 years from owning. If there is some value it's a bonus but not a driving force in my purchase decision. As for handing it down to my children?? doubt a watch will even be useful in the next 3 decades but only time will tell!! As I mentioned in previous posts I want to enjoy wearing the watch and not worrying about the value which is why it's bitter-sweet that I didn't get a 5575. Having a watch that is worth £36000 and wearing it whilst at the back of your mind is I could sell it for £60 000 would take away some of the enjoyment for me. I wish I didn't have financial limitations but sadly it's reality for me
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2016, 05:19 PM   #152
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
Not everything is about $$$$ when we talk about a heirloom!!
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2016, 12:48 AM   #153
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I think you have a point, personally. Patek do more than imply their watches retain their value, they specifically say so on their website as one of their company values:

"Value
As the product of an extraordinary amount of know-how and work, a Patek Philippe commands a high price and will fully retain or even increase its value over the years. It is an investment for the present and the future. Many of the models achieve cult status and regularly fetch record-setting sums at auction. Their solid reputation amongst collectors and – especially – the great sentimental value that a Patek Philippe usually acquires in the eyes of its owner make each one a treasured addition to a family's assets."
Exactly! Patek is pitching this as are all the ADs. I agree with Q it is false advertising. They don't say may they say will retain or increase in value. Maybe they should put an asterisk that reads "if you buy one of 6 popular models at 25% off or more "
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 02:39 AM   #154
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Reactionaries get over it! I love this watch, as I've said before, it's beautiful and purposeful! Patek, make one in steel and sign me up!
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 03:02 AM   #155
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Reactionaries get over it! I love this watch, as I've said before, it's beautiful and purposeful! Patek, make one in steel and sign me up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.8 KB, 326 views)
Old 6 March 2016, 03:25 AM   #156
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Well done Karl! My previous comment was not meant to offend anyone, it's just that whenever something new or out of the ordinary is done it is often met with criticism. It's nice to see that Patek does not let this phenomenon stop them. As I now travel often, I would love this piece or possibly a 5990.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 03:43 AM   #157
Jack Cassidy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
It looks like an IWC watch - clearcut IWC DNA.
Jack Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 03:48 AM   #158
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cassidy View Post
It looks like an IWC watch - clearcut IWC DNA.
you don't think zenith?
Old 6 March 2016, 04:39 AM   #159
Jack Cassidy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
No, this is Patek playing outside their comfort zone on IWC home turf.
Jack Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 04:43 AM   #160
MTROIS
Banned

5524 Pilot Travel Time

In all fairness, PP could stick their name on a system 51 and some people would buy it for 100k...
To each their own. Definitely like the new IWC pilot...
MTROIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 02:29 PM   #161
Dandoun
Banned

Sorry but i find it repulsive. Wear it in good health though.
Dandoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 02:37 PM   #162
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Not for me... I'll pass thank u!!!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 06:06 PM   #163
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cassidy View Post
No, this is Patek playing outside their comfort zone on IWC home turf.
Yes and so? That's probably what people said when they launched the Nautilus but it was AP at the time, the watch is very cool and so what if they are outside of their usual zone
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 06:44 PM   #164
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Yes and so? That's probably what people said when they launched the Nautilus but it was AP at the time, the watch is very cool and so what if they are outside of their usual zone
Isn't it fantastic that a watch can illicit such passion, commotion and criticism?? No one seems to be in the middle...everyone has a view...it's love or hate...definately no middle ground...and as for this magical Patek DNA...not sure what that is...was the Gilbert Albert Asymmetrical of 1965 Patek DNA?, the Nautilus of the 70's or the Aquanaut of the 90's?

How many more years waiting for Basle and wondering what colour dial they are going to bring out on an existing model? We did white, we did black and this year we will do a blue dial..maybe white gold, then yellow gold and then rose gold...throw in platinum and make that very special with another dial....yawwwwwn....crumpets is the Patek DNA actually using a quartz movement or a sign of embracing the future?

Sure it looks like a IWC / Zenith / Bremont or whatever else is out there...does it really matter? How different can you make a Pilot before it stops looking like a Pilot...

People will not be wearing watches in 30 years...those that do will do so to appreciate the mechanical aspect...but Siri, phones and everything else will tell us the time...they will become without function...unless they adapt...and i would like PP to last another 175 years....so maybe they should start working on a mechanical watch integrated into smart watch technology? Shudder shudder...but lets keep that for Basle 2017 and just ingest the 5524
Old 6 March 2016, 09:14 PM   #165
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Isn't it fantastic that a watch can illicit such passion, commotion and criticism?? No one seems to be in the middle...everyone has a view...it's love or hate...definately no middle ground...and as for this magical Patek DNA...not sure what that is...was the Gilbert Albert Asymmetrical of 1965 Patek DNA?, the Nautilus of the 70's or the Aquanaut of the 90's?

How many more years waiting for Basle and wondering what colour dial they are going to bring out on an existing model? We did white, we did black and this year we will do a blue dial..maybe white gold, then yellow gold and then rose gold...throw in platinum and make that very special with another dial....yawwwwwn....crumpets is the Patek DNA actually using a quartz movement or a sign of embracing the future?

Sure it looks like a IWC / Zenith / Bremont or whatever else is out there...does it really matter? How different can you make a Pilot before it stops looking like a Pilot...

People will not be wearing watches in 30 years...those that do will do so to appreciate the mechanical aspect...but Siri, phones and everything else will tell us the time...they will become without function...unless they adapt...and i would like PP to last another 175 years....so maybe they should start working on a mechanical watch integrated into smart watch technology? Shudder shudder...but lets keep that for Basle 2017 and just ingest the 5524
Oh I totally agree, the watch looks very cool, I can't say I love it but I do like it a lot, if brands like AP, Patek and others didn't innovate we would still have pocket watches.
But watches nowadays are in a way without function since anyone can have time, date, calendar and a whole lot of stuff on their iPhone, I know a few people who don't wear watches because of that, it's their right, I love the historical and mechanical aspects of a fine watch, if ever Patek makes a watch with smart watch technology why not, the critics will scream of course, I won't get it as I try to not get too attached to all those things, when I am on vacation I never have my phone in day time, it's off I just check it before dinner to see if there are no urgent messages, appart from those I don't call or write to anyone, technology is great but being too attached or dependent on it is not for me, on each launch day of the new iPhones you see on the news the people in line since the middle of the night to get the first ones, eveytime I think my God you need to be really stupid, but that's how the world is, now if ever Patek were to make a kind of RM-ROO type of super sports watch I would think great, but pretty sure it would be met with a lot of criticism, like was the RO, ROO, probably also the Nautilus, even if AP had taken most of it 4 years before on the creation of the RO, and took it later with the ROO, interesting what AP would be without those 2 lines of watches, but take off all the RO and ROO and I think they would not be doing very good at all... If brands had always stayed in their comfort zone we would have very few choices as buyers, thank God that many brand did innovate and take risks, and still do...
Old 6 March 2016, 09:23 PM   #166
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I finally saw one in person at the Naples Patek Philippe event last Monday night. It really looks good.
Old 6 March 2016, 09:26 PM   #167
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:
Isn't it fantastic that a watch can illicit such passion, commotion and criticism?? No one seems to be in the middle...
Maybe it's just me, but I'm in the middle. I don't think it's a bad move, but I also don't drool over it. Truth be told, it's too large for me anyway. But even if it were 39 or 40mm, a lot of other Pateks would be my pick over this one.

But I honestly applaud Mr.Stern for his brave choice in steering Patek another direction. When you drive a ship like Patek, that seems to be heading exactly in the right direction in virtually every aspect, and any controversial move could mean a potential disaster for the brand, it's not easy to make a decision on developing new, fresh looking models. It would be much easier to just release new dials, new materials, and reinvent the same wheel again and again. I'm not interested in either the 5960/1A or the 5524G, but I hope Patek will continue introducing new models. I'm sure one day they will make a bold move again, that swings exactly my way, and I'll be the one to defend and later on purchase a controversial new time piece.
Old 6 March 2016, 09:30 PM   #168
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh I totally agree, the watch looks very cool, I can't say I love it but I do like it a lot, if brands like AP, Patek and others didn't innovate we would still have pocket watches.
But watches nowadays are in a way without function since anyone can have time, date, calendar and a whole lot of stuff on their iPhone, I know a few people who don't wear watches because of that, it's their right, I love the historical and mechanical aspects of a fine watch, if ever Patek makes a watch with smart watch technology why not, the critics will scream of course, I won't get it as I try to not get too attached to all those things, when I am on vacation I never have my phone in day time, it's off I just check it before dinner to see if there are no urgent messages, appart from those I don't call or write to anyone, technology is great but being too attached or dependent on it is not for me, on each launch day of the new iPhones you see on the news the people in line since the middle of the night to get the first ones, eveytime I think my God you need to be really stupid, but that's how the world is, now if ever Patek were to make a kind of RM-ROO type of super sports watch I would think great, but pretty sure it would be met with a lot of criticism, like was the RO, ROO, probably also the Nautilus, even if AP had taken most of it 4 years before on the creation of the RO, and took it later with the ROO, interesting what AP would be without those 2 lines of watches, but take off all the RO and ROO and I think they would not be doing very good at all... If brands had always stayed in their comfort zone we would have very few choices as buyers, thank God that many brand did innovate and take risks, and still do...
Without the RO and ROO lineup I'm pretty sure AP would have gone bankrupt in the '70s, or best case through the '80s. The RO was a bold move that almost went unnoticed, but I strongly believe it saved the brand eventually. And now the world of watches is a lot more interesting place thanks to the existence of the RO, ROO and similar fashioned watches by other brands.
Old 6 March 2016, 09:43 PM   #169
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I'm in the middle. I don't think it's a bad move, but I also don't drool over it. Truth be told, it's too large for me anyway. But even if it were 39 or 40mm, a lot of other Pateks would be my pick over this one.

But I honestly applaud Mr.Stern for his brave choice in steering Patek another direction. When you drive a ship like Patek, that seems to be heading exactly in the right direction in virtually every aspect, and any controversial move could mean a potential disaster for the brand, it's not easy to make a decision on developing new, fresh looking models. It would be much easier to just release new dials, new materials, and reinvent the same wheel again and again. I'm not interested in either the 5960/1A or the 5524G, but I hope Patek will continue introducing new models. I'm sure one day they will make a bold move again, that swings exactly my way, and I'll be the one to defend and later on purchase a controversial new time piece.
I agree. I am also not a fan of the 5960 but we forget that back in 2006 it was PP first automatic chrono with annual calendar and only in PM. That's the innovation part....then it stopped PM and went steel to the horror of the die hard's shouting DNA....it was intentional...that is to bring a complication of chrono and AC to a wider audience that would have a lower entry point due to it being steel....and I also agree with you on other choices...in my review on another thread I did not think this would be a persons 1 and only Patek but part of a wider collection....maybe Basle 2016 will make your dream come true but I have been told no more novelties for 2016!!! But then they arent telling!
Old 6 March 2016, 09:46 PM   #170
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
I finally saw one in person at the Naples Patek Philippe event last Monday night. It really looks good.
Don't you have the 5270?...the grail off PP's for many of us
Old 6 March 2016, 10:45 PM   #171
fai9al
"TRF" Member

I hear people reacted the same way when AP came up with the first Offshore back in '93.
fai9al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 11:35 PM   #172
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
in my review on another thread I did not think this would be a persons 1 and only Patek but part of a wider collection
I agree. But then again, Mr.Stern said in an interview that he believes his brand is an aspirational brand. And what he meant by that is that even after you've bought a Calatrava, you would start craving for more, aspiring for higher level complications. After getting your AC, you will lust after an AC Chrono or PC. And when you get them, the "madness" will go on, all the way until you get bankrupt You don't neven need fresh new pieces or controversial models to build an amazing Patek collection all through several decades.

Quote:
maybe Basle 2016 will make your dream come true but I have been told no more novelties for 2016!!! But then they arent telling!
I don't think they'd stop. For Basel 2016 I expect Patek to roll out one more special piece that would also be controversial. And it could be a huge trouble for such guys who already find several lovely pieces in the existing and past Patek collection.
Old 6 March 2016, 11:37 PM   #173
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fai9al View Post
I hear people reacted the same way when AP came up with the first Offshore back in '93.
I'm pretty sure it was even more scandalous when the first Nautilus came out. And when the first Aquanaut came out, etc. Even the most orthodox brands sometimes need a fresh new injection of "youth serum".
Old 7 March 2016, 08:42 AM   #174
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Without the RO and ROO lineup I'm pretty sure AP would have gone bankrupt in the '70s, or best case through the '80s. The RO was a bold move that almost went unnoticed, but I strongly believe it saved the brand eventually. And now the world of watches is a lot more interesting place thanks to the existence of the RO, ROO and similar fashioned watches by other brands.
Oh without a doubt, I mean as much as Patek has exciting dress watches can't say that the AP dress watch line is very exciting at all, maybe a few models are nice but not a lot IMO, I definitely think as well they would've gone bankrupt and been bought like so many others did by Swatch group or another, it's obvious
Old 7 March 2016, 08:45 AM   #175
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree. I am also not a fan of the 5960 but we forget that back in 2006 it was PP first automatic chrono with annual calendar and only in PM. That's the innovation part....then it stopped PM and went steel to the horror of the die hard's shouting DNA....it was intentional...that is to bring a complication of chrono and AC to a wider audience that would have a lower entry point due to it being steel....and I also agree with you on other choices...in my review on another thread I did not think this would be a persons 1 and only Patek but part of a wider collection....maybe Basle 2016 will make your dream come true but I have been told no more novelties for 2016!!! But then they arent telling!
Oh I would be surprised if they didn't bring at least one new nautilus model for the 40th, of course they will release it after Basel but doubt they won't do one new
Old 7 March 2016, 02:24 PM   #176
Dandoun
Banned

Nautilus, Royal Oak, Royal Oak Offshore, those were ORIGINAL DESIGNS, not copycats of any other specific watch model from a brand.
But this thing has no identity - regardless if compared to other brands that specialize in Pilots watches. The only reason i would see someone purchasing it would be as an investment knowing that it would appeal only to collectors and that the numbers will be extremely limited - therefore making sure its price would remain at a premium in the future.
For regular people who wear watches because they like them, I am sorry but i seriously doubt this watch is a good purchase - regardless if tastes are relative or not.
Dandoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 06:45 AM   #177
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not bad
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 08:01 AM   #178
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandoun View Post
Nautilus, Royal Oak, Royal Oak Offshore, those were ORIGINAL DESIGNS, not copycats of any other specific watch model from a brand.
But this thing has no identity - regardless if compared to other brands that specialize in Pilots watches. The only reason i would see someone purchasing it would be as an investment knowing that it would appeal only to collectors and that the numbers will be extremely limited - therefore making sure its price would remain at a premium in the future.
For regular people who wear watches because they like them, I am sorry but i seriously doubt this watch is a good purchase - regardless if tastes are relative or not.
How different can a pilot watch be? Patek did a few a long time ago, they look like pilot watches, sure it's the specialty of a few brands, but do they look like this one with 2 pushers on the left and GMT function like here? Not to my knowledge, so much has been done design wise in watches you can't limit yourself to your specialty, but that's just what I think, what I don't get is why for someone who wants to wear it this is a bad purchase, it can be a bad purchase in case of investment but as long as you like it and want to wear it and not flip it really don't see in what way it could be a bad purchase...
Old 9 March 2016, 09:06 AM   #179
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Precisely

Quote:
How different can a pilot watch be?
And that's why it's a tough decision to make one and sell it. You can't really differentiate it that much because the accepted design constraints are so tight. So if you want to put your stamp on it you're going to have to do it with small details not big statements.

Like other people here I accept it's beautifully made, with a great movement, but it will never stand out because it's adheres to the basic premise of a pilot watch.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 01:39 PM   #180
KarlS
Banned

[QUOTE=Le Chef;6526217]And that's why it's a tough decision to make one and sell it. You can't really differentiate it that much because the accepted design constraints are so tight. So if you want to put your stamp on it you're going to have to do it with small details not big statements.

Like other people here I accept it's beautifully made, with a great movement, but it will never stand out because it's adheres to the basic premise of a pilot watch.[/QUOTE

Exactly, it's a pilot watch made by PP. no different to a chrono being made by hundreds of other companies and it doesn't have to stand out. A Rolls Royce doesn't need racing stripes robe a Rolls Royce and this is a Patek. I think the correlation they tried to draw on their own designs was a stretch too far although the museum shows some examples. If you like Pilot watches would you choose this over IWC, Zenith etc, will that's purely personal taste