The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 May 2016, 05:19 PM   #1
L55HEM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Opinion on Gibraltar Rolex watches resale value...

Hi guys, pretty new to the forum (less than a week), just wanted to see what the thoughts are in owning a Rolex purchased from Gibraltar to see whether a resale value would be affected by having the country code 150 on the warranty card rather than say 160 for the UK?

I also note the code 150 seems to be for Spain therefore looks like Gibraltar doesn't have their own code but of course outside EU customs, therefore would any subsequent purchaser be worried about VAT being paid or would that just be the first purchasers requirement?

Thanks in advance :)
L55HEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2016, 05:33 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L55HEM View Post
Hi guys, pretty new to the forum (less than a week), just wanted to see what the thoughts are in owning a Rolex purchased from Gibraltar to see whether a resale value would be affected by having the country code 150 on the warranty card rather than say 160 for the UK?

I also note the code 150 seems to be for Spain therefore looks like Gibraltar doesn't have their own code but of course outside EU customs, therefore would any subsequent purchaser be worried about VAT being paid or would that just be the first purchasers requirement?

Short answer no.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2016, 05:45 PM   #3
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
No impact at all - watches are purchased from all over the world and all Rolex warranties are international....except if you ask the RSC in NYC
Old 9 May 2016, 05:54 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Gibraltar is in the EU but you are correct in that it is not part of the "customs Union" so technically you have to declare when entering the UK and pay an additional 20%, but that is the original purchasers responsibility or whoever brings it in. Once its in the EU customs area (the internal market), there are no further duties by sending it to france, netherlands, spain or any other country in the customs union. Im aware that most people wouldn't declare it anyway and often import them all over the world in violation of customs laws, so i am just telling you what you are supposed to do not what most people do. I doubt it affects retail value especially since it looks like the watch originated in spain anyway (not that it really matters though, but it could give a buyer down the road some piece of mind).
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2016, 06:24 PM   #5
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Does not matter where it comes from at all, as long as it does not have Barbary ape poo on it should be fine......

I bought a shirt once from M&S in Gibraltar, it is always a good trivia pursuit question when I tell people I bought a shirt at M&S paid in pounds but was not in England where was I???? Few get it right.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2016, 06:30 PM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post
No impact at all - watches are purchased from all over the world and all Rolex warranties are international....except if you ask the RSC in NYC
Rolex USA and Rolex SA (which includes every other country but the USA) are technically different companies. They require a bill of sale in NY RSC because if the original purchaser is the one getting a foreign rolex serviced, they will honor the warranty from Rolex SA but not if it is a grey market import. I have no idea why they don't require this at all US service centers and just NY, but they could.

If a bill of sale isn't provided then they may refuse to do warranty work, despite the fact it is an"international warranty". The service isn't denied because the warranty isn't valid, its denied because the watch is in violation of trademark law as technically that watch isn't "supposed" to be in the USA at all. A bill of sale clarifies this for Rolex USA as they are not trying to hurt a legitimate overseas purchase IE from on holiday or an expat who purchased while living abroad but trying to prevent grey market imports where the original purchaser isn't the same one who is getting it serviced.

In the same sense, Rolex USA won't do warranty work on a watch they find to be stolen, they won't do it on one that violates the law on their exclusive ownership of their US trademark. I don't think they should do this, but they can, as the US government has granted Rolex USA the exclusive use of the Rolex trademark which doesn't apply to Rolex watches from Rolex SA.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2016, 07:50 PM   #7
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Rolex USA and Rolex SA (which includes every other country but the USA) are technically different companies. They require a bill of sale in NY RSC because if the original purchaser is the one getting a foreign rolex serviced, they will honor the warranty from Rolex SA but not if it is a grey market import. I have no idea why they don't require this at all US service centers and just NY, but they could.

If a bill of sale isn't provided then they may refuse to do warranty work, despite the fact it is an"international warranty". The service isn't denied because the warranty isn't valid, its denied because the watch is in violation of trademark law as technically that watch isn't "supposed" to be in the USA at all. A bill of sale clarifies this for Rolex USA as they are not trying to hurt a legitimate overseas purchase IE from on holiday or an expat who purchased while living abroad but trying to prevent grey market imports where the original purchaser isn't the same one who is getting it serviced.

In the same sense, Rolex USA won't do warranty work on a watch they find to be stolen, they won't do it on one that violates the law on their exclusive ownership of their US trademark. I don't think they should do this, but they can, as the US government has granted Rolex USA the exclusive use of the Rolex trademark which doesn't apply to Rolex watches from Rolex SA.
Not trying to be argumentative, but this is BS IMO. The terms of the warranty tell me to present my warranty card. The terms state nothing about requiring a bill of sale. If the card is valid in Rolex system, NY RSC cannot require additional documentation and still be in compliance with the warranty.

What if the watch was a gift?

The fact that no other RSC does this is an indication that the NY RSC is on its' own program. They can get away with it because it's easier to ship the watch to Dallas than to struggle with the NY RSC over this issue.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2016, 08:15 PM   #8
L55HEM
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys lightning quick and very helpful, good to know as I purchased a few watches at a very good price a few years ago from the AD there and upon enquiring in the UK as to the value I was advised the price would be lower due to being from Gibraltar. Thought might have been a ploy to get them for less money but worth an ask as might have put me off buying there in the future. Great place too as they have an aphorised service centre upstairs and quoted 2 weeks for a full service which is excellent compared to local timescales. Thanks again :)
Old 9 May 2016, 08:18 PM   #9
L55HEM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Does not matter where it comes from at all, as long as it does not have Barbary ape poo on it should be fine......

I bought a shirt once from M&S in Gibraltar, it is always a good trivia pursuit question when I tell people I bought a shirt at M&S paid in pounds but was not in England where was I???? Few get it right.
Haha lucky no ape poo, one did however jump on my shoulder from behind off the top of a van which scared the life out of me

Great trivia question, ill be using that one ;)
Old 9 May 2016, 08:29 PM   #10
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Thanks guys lightning quick and very helpful, good to know as I purchased a few watches at a very good price a few years ago from the AD there and upon enquiring in the UK as to the value I was advised the price would be lower due to being from Gibraltar. Thought might have been a ploy to get them for less money but worth an ask as might have put me off buying there in the future. Great place too as they have an aphorised service centre upstairs and quoted 2 weeks for a full service which is excellent compared to local timescales. Thanks again :)
I've heard of UK dealers pulling this one, but its total BS. Personally, I would rather have a watch with Gibraltar papers (warranty card) than UK papers, just because it would be more interesting provenance. That's just me, though. I suspect 99% of people wouldn't care. And the UK dealer certainly won't be selling it any cheaper than a similar watch with UK papers.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2016, 08:52 PM   #11
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Other than it being kinda cool I can't see it adding any value.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2016, 11:45 PM   #12
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Country code in itself does not matter imho.
The one thing that would bother me as a potential buyer is not getting an invoice with VAT.
Our tax collectors in some of the EU airports may create a problem if they stop you for a screening.
Old 10 May 2016, 01:21 AM   #13
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:

Cornwall???

Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2016, 11:28 AM   #14
ndsleep612
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ex.2.
Doesn't affect anything. I wouldn't mind buying a Rolex from Antarctica if they ever had an AD there as long as it makes sense.
ndsleep612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2016, 11:30 AM   #15
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:

Scotland? Wales? Northern Ireland?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote