The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: One or the other: Classic Sub Date or Exp II?
I'd take the classic Sub Date for my "only" Rolex 54 50.47%
If I had to choose, the Exp II has more functionality 53 49.53%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 July 2008, 09:49 PM   #31
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
Interesting reading your responses, seems from the poll and the comments that many of you, like myself, are somewhat conflicted on this.

I still haven't formed my own opinion yet. I'll be interested to see how the poll runs out over the next day or so.

Keep posting your views!

Thanks,

Chris
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 02:49 AM   #32
Chunky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red, 116710
If it were a choice of only one, I too would go with the submariner
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 03:35 AM   #33
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Both GREAT!!!
But I sold my Expy II to bought my Sub ND COSC. So, yes Sub for me...
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 03:40 AM   #34
FrankinCA

Watch: Omega SeMP Chrono
I prefer the Submariner>>>

it's my favorite Rolex. If I want a watch to trach a second timezone, the GMT would be my choice.
FrankinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2008, 02:42 AM   #35
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
As to durability and ruggedness:
I'd have to say they're the same. The issue is really about shock, and both movements have the same shock protection design (KIF). The cases and crystals will be equally resilient: nothing short of a sledghammer will damage the case, and any direct impact to the crystal will cause damage.

Clearly, the Sub has greater water protection. However, that doesn't add anything in terms of shock protection. Less than one-tenth of 1% of us will ever exceed the Explorer-II's depth rating.

In terms of comfort:
I find the Explorer to be much more comfortable. I have worn both for outdoor activities such as running, fishing, hiking, etc. The Sub was heavy, and when my wrist would sweat, the Sub would slide around, so I was constantly adjusting its position on my wrist. Expy stays in place better. Ultimately, when you're running, hiking, etc, comfort is king--and the Explorer wins hands down. (I now keep my Sub on a NATO, which is very good for outdoors/activities. Subby and I went surfing a few weeks ago, and the NATO held up brilliantly and it didn't move around. The NATO makes the Sub comfortable enough to wear for any activity, but it's a pain to keep changing the bracelet out all the time.)

Versatility:
This is purely subjective, but I find the Expy to be much better for wear with casual-to-weekend dressy attire (I have a DJ that I wear as a true dress watch). Expy goes well with business casual or jeans and a dress shirt (either are good with shorts, etc). It's light and comfortable. I much prefer the simple brushed steel bezel on the Expy to the giant black bezel on the Sub (Sub bezel won't fit under my shirt cuffs). Once again this is purely subjective, but to me the Sub screams Rolex; the Expy is much more subtle.

Functionality: My opinion, they're a draw. The sub bezel is handy for timing things (parking meters, flipping the steaks, etc). The quickset hour of the Explorer-II is brilliant while traveling, and tracking a second time zone comes in handy. I end up vacationing with my Sub more simply because I keep it on the NATO, and usually when I'm on vacation I'm fishing, surfing, out at the ranch, etc. However, when I travel with work, I'm wearing the Explorer-II.

Overall: Having owned both, if I were picking ONE and ONLY ONE, I'd pick the black dial Explorer-II. It is extremely rugged and durable. It's very versatile aesthetically, fitting (snugly) under a dress shirt cuff while clearly going well with sports attire. I can't say enough about how much more comfortable the Explorer-II is than the Sub. Ultimately, the Explorer wins out because of comfort.

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2008, 02:53 AM   #36
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
This is tough...

I voted a couple of days ago, and I can't really remember what I voted...

When the going gets tough, I usually grab the EXP II, and it sees the most wrist time...

However, If I had to go to only one........The Sub was my first Rolex, so it gets the sentimentality nod....and those classic looks.. As Mike said, today I pick the Sub...but tomorrow I might change my mind...

(or maybe I've already changed it....)
Old 23 July 2008, 03:11 AM   #37
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
Its tricky.

I'm looking for maximum comfort, so I can see how the Exp II would win there.

I have a SD and the GMT II, and would likely sell the SD for the purchase of either a Sub or a Exp II.

I think I would go for the white dial Exp II since its different than the GMT, but what opinions do people have on the white Exp II? Is the dial bland, or do you find in wearing it it has character?

So many thoughts, so little time.........

C
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2008, 03:30 AM   #38
CPTL
"TRF" Member

I love the white dial. It's striking, and very readable during the day. It is tougher to read at night, as the white dial reflects light which competes with the luminous material for the attention of your eyes.

I only recommended the black dial because if you're only going to have one Rollie, I prefer the black. If you're going to have two, the white dial is fantastic.

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
Old 23 July 2008, 09:21 AM   #39
veefour
"TRF" Member

After 22 years with a sub on my wrist every day, I think I'll be glad to go for a black face Explorer. (anyone?)
Old 23 July 2008, 10:42 AM   #40
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Hard question if both cost around $3,000 each I would get both. For me costs being what they are it would be the Sub.
Old 23 July 2008, 01:41 PM   #41
JCFair

Watch: Polar EXP II
Interesting, my only Rolex is a white face EXP II. I am a pilot so the 24 hour hand is set to GMT.
JCFair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2008, 12:03 AM   #42
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
As to durability and ruggedness:
I'd have to say they're the same. The issue is really about shock, and both movements have the same shock protection design (KIF). The cases and crystals will be equally resilient: nothing short of a sledghammer will damage the case, and any direct impact to the crystal will cause damage.

Clearly, the Sub has greater water protection. However, that doesn't add anything in terms of shock protection. Less than one-tenth of 1% of us will ever exceed the Explorer-II's depth rating.

In terms of comfort:
I find the Explorer to be much more comfortable. I have worn both for outdoor activities such as running, fishing, hiking, etc. The Sub was heavy, and when my wrist would sweat, the Sub would slide around, so I was constantly adjusting its position on my wrist. Expy stays in place better. Ultimately, when you're running, hiking, etc, comfort is king--and the Explorer wins hands down. (I now keep my Sub on a NATO, which is very good for outdoors/activities. Subby and I went surfing a few weeks ago, and the NATO held up brilliantly and it didn't move around. The NATO makes the Sub comfortable enough to wear for any activity, but it's a pain to keep changing the bracelet out all the time.)

Versatility:
This is purely subjective, but I find the Expy to be much better for wear with casual-to-weekend dressy attire (I have a DJ that I wear as a true dress watch). Expy goes well with business casual or jeans and a dress shirt (either are good with shorts, etc). It's light and comfortable. I much prefer the simple brushed steel bezel on the Expy to the giant black bezel on the Sub (Sub bezel won't fit under my shirt cuffs). Once again this is purely subjective, but to me the Sub screams Rolex; the Expy is much more subtle.

Functionality: My opinion, they're a draw. The sub bezel is handy for timing things (parking meters, flipping the steaks, etc). The quickset hour of the Explorer-II is brilliant while traveling, and tracking a second time zone comes in handy. I end up vacationing with my Sub more simply because I keep it on the NATO, and usually when I'm on vacation I'm fishing, surfing, out at the ranch, etc. However, when I travel with work, I'm wearing the Explorer-II.

Overall: Having owned both, if I were picking ONE and ONLY ONE, I'd pick the black dial Explorer-II. It is extremely rugged and durable. It's very versatile aesthetically, fitting (snugly) under a dress shirt cuff while clearly going well with sports attire. I can't say enough about how much more comfortable the Explorer-II is than the Sub. Ultimately, the Explorer wins out because of comfort.
Very well said, Kevin. Here's my questions to you: if you were starting over again, would you buy a black dial Expy2 and not have ever gotten a Submariner? If you were ever deployed again, which wouild you bring? The more I wear and enjoy my Explorer II, the more I realize that in many ways for me, it IS the ultimate Rolex. For YEARS I lusted after a Submariner, and now that I have mine and it truly is my favorite watch, I now realize that my lifestyle more actively supports the role of the Explorer II. It really IS an enigmatic Rolex; it has a small but loyal following that many others do not understand!

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...xplorer+enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by veefour View Post
After 22 years with a sub on my wrist every day, I think I'll be glad to go for a black face Explorer. (anyone?)
I now think so too, Rich!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2008, 12:20 AM   #43
CPTL
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=DSJ;680878]Very well said, Kevin. Here's my questions to you: if you were starting over again, would you buy a black dial Expy2 and not have ever gotten a Submariner? If you were ever deployed again, which wouild you bring?[QUOTE]

In a word: yes. I would have bought the black-dial Expy-II and not looked back. I would have taken it to the desert and anywhere else, for that matter. No need for another watch (though I probably still would have bought a dress watch).

Don't get me wrong, I love my sub. It's a great watch, and I bought it not just because it's an icon--I also think it's a fantastic watch. However, I like the Expy more, and I think it is much more useful because it's so much more comfortable.

The sub was my first, and for that reason I'll likely never part with it. However, if I had it to do over again, I would have just bought the Explorer.

Old 24 July 2008, 12:29 AM   #44
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFair View Post
Interesting, my only Rolex is a white face EXP II. I am a pilot so the 24 hour hand is set to GMT.
Hey JC Fair, how have you been?
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote