The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 July 2008, 07:12 AM   #31
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by geepee View Post
and is there any real benefit to the SEL on the Oyster bracelet? Thanks.
Millions of bracelets sold w/o them still in service and doing great. As was said earlier, lots of money spent for a Rolex. To some it "appears" to make the bracelet flimsy. The Sub clasp is another good example, it's doesn't have the heft and sense of quality of the GMT-IIC clasp but works just fine. Rolex will be improving the clasps on the new Subs.

This is pure conjecture on my part and want that to be clear, but I'd think they'd get impressions of all facets of the watch during market research and engineer reviews and ID areas that could be improved. In many cases, less expensive watches have bracelets deemed "better" than the older SS Subs by many people to include watch magazine reviewers.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 07:47 AM   #32
mickeydainish
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 16610
Nicely worded, Scott... I agree hundreds! :-)
mickeydainish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 09:24 AM   #33
tom33455
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I have experience with both the 9315 "folded" links and the Jubilee. The only issue I have with the 9315 is that is stretched out and eventually rattled on my wrist. Of course it's 40 + years old but it's still hanging in there. As for the Jubilee, it stretched out as well but is approching 30 years of age and was just recently replaced when I sent it in for service. Other than being a little loose, strength and security were never an issue for me. I now consider the Jubilee a "dressy" accessory for my GMT and it doesn't get the same hard wear as I used to give it so I suspect it will easily last another 30 plus years...........(it'll no doubt outlast me).
tom33455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 09:26 AM   #34
tom33455
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I forgot to mention that the sharp edges of both bracelets (Oyster fliplock and Jubilee) are somewhat surprising and probably add to the opinion held by some that they appear flimsy.
tom33455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 10:00 AM   #35
Tareg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
I'm a structural engineer by profession and i think that the pin will bend/break before the link. If the same material and diameter pin is used for both hollow and solid links then the solid link bracelet will be no stronger than the hollow link bracelet.
Tareg is offline   Reply With Quote