The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 July 2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Tempo

Checklist for a Perfect SS Daytona

I'm planning to acquire a SS Daytona soon. Probably a white dial, unless the black is stunning enough to be worth $700 more.

I've dreamed of owning a Daytona for a long time, so I'm hoping that it will be a perfect Daytona specimen that will not disappoint in any way.

Could Daytona enthusiasts help me complile a checklist of flaws to look out for when I'm examining the Daytona before purchase? Once I walk out of the dealership with the watch and warranty card issued in my name, there'll be no possibility of exchanging it.

I'll start with a few obvious point:

No scratches on Case/Crystal/bracelet
Triplock Crown screws in/out smoothly
Second hand aligns with 0 marker when reset

I'd really appreciate advice from experienced Daytona enthusiasts regarding other problems to look out for. For a chronograph, I'm sure there are many other mechanisms to test compared to other watches.
---------------------------------------------

PS: My last Rolex (SD) purchase was not free from disappointment. After bringing home the SD, I noticed a tiny nick positioned in an awkward intersection between a polished and a brushed surface, which made it hard to remove. I did not notice it the shop as it could only be seen under certain lighting conditions.

Needless to say, neither RSC nor the AD would give me a new SD. The AD tried to polish it off using Cape Cod but the result was not entirely satisfactory.

Later, I noticed a tiny nick along the bottom edge of the case which was apprent only after removing the "protective" stickers.

I'm hoping nothing like this will happen with the Daytona. Thanks for your help!
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Don't forget to check all the sub-dials to make sure they are at zero..well, except the standard seconds...
Old 25 July 2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
If you're going to wear the watch after you get it, very soon it will have tiny hair line scratches especially over the polished center link/clasp.
As long as there are no major obvious defects, you're lucky to pick a new one up from AD at MSRP. Enjoy it.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Tempo

Daytona Bezel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
If you're going to wear the watch after you get it, very soon it will have tiny hair line scratches especially over the polished center link/clasp.
:
Is the bezel prone to hair line scratches as well? It looks very polished too.

Thanks Tools and Z-Sub.
Old 25 July 2008, 07:22 PM   #5
walds11
"TRF" Member

Yes.

Buy BNIB and you'll get a fresh piece. Once you wear it, it will get some battle scars. Wear it in good health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo View Post
Is the bezel prone to hair line scratches as well? It looks very polished too.

Thanks Tools and Z-Sub.
Old 25 July 2008, 07:28 PM   #6
ashe18c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
As long as there are no major obvious defects, you're lucky to pick a new one up from AD at MSRP. Enjoy it.
lucky even with tax? just wondering cause i picked one up today, white ss m series, including tax, cost $9844, was wondering if that was a good bargain nowaday?
ashe18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Russ1974

Watch: BiMetal Daytona
Are you buying this to wear, or to store in a locked display cabinet? If it's to wear, don't get too hung up about it being 100%. Mine is only a couple of months old and it has dents and scratches as it's my only (and hence everyday) watch. I don't think I have a single link without scratches on the gold. (Just checked, and nope, hairline scratches on every link, plus a few big ones!).
Russ1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 10:21 PM   #8
Tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ1974 View Post
Are you buying this to wear, or to store in a locked display cabinet? .
I have an SD for daily use (and a DJ which has not seen the light of day since the SD arrived.) The SD does not tend to show its scratches, even after several months of wearing it.

Daytona is to wear for special occassions. But even when worn carefully, I can imagine even microscopic abrasions from wiping the polished surfaces are going to show easily, am I correct?

I wonder if anyone has managed to keep his/her Daytona scratchless through wearing it carefully.
Old 25 July 2008, 11:16 PM   #9
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo View Post
I have an SD for daily use (and a DJ which has not seen the light of day since the SD arrived.) The SD does not tend to show its scratches, even after several months of wearing it.

Daytona is to wear for special occassions. But even when worn carefully, I can imagine even microscopic abrasions from wiping the polished surfaces are going to show easily, am I correct?

I wonder if anyone has managed to keep his/her Daytona scratchless through wearing it carefully.
I would find little enjoyment in my watches if I was always worried about picking up scratches, dings or dents. Watches are meant to be worn, period. I have seen some pretty messed up watches...one that comes to mind recently was a 3 week old lady DJ that went through the dryer. It looked horrible, however after a nice trip through the local RSC it looked 99% of new. So my point is, wear and enjoy your watches. BTW, congrats on your upcoming purchase.
~Scott
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote