The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 November 2016, 11:52 PM   #1471
tommy91
"TRF" Member

My daily wearer, only watch I know I will never flip
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2016, 01:46 AM   #1472
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartRolex View Post
Surely we can admire one watch without dismissing others.
I don't think Tools is dismissing other watches but making the point that the Explorer II is, and has remained, the most authentic no nonsense rugged tool watch in the Rolex line up.

I agree with this and its a big part of the appeal of the Explorer II to me. I think its the least popular Rolex because of this - it flies under the radar and non-wis types who want a Rolex are more likely to go for more recognised and, lets be honest, flashier models such as the Datejust, Day-Date, Sub, GMT (and I speak as a lover of these watches). That's fine - leaves more Explorers for the cognoscenti to pick up.

I love the Polar and the black. I think the black is often underrated - its a stunning watch. I would also love to have a polar 16570 with yellow tritium markers or even better, one of the creme dialed polars.

These are mine -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9410.jpg (106.4 KB, 1442 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9109.jpg (74.6 KB, 1429 views)
Old 3 November 2016, 04:56 AM   #1473
hbk25
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Blue
I like that QUICKSILVER defended TOOLS, then posted pictures of desk diving, which TOOLS kind of knocked in the original post.

The watch can definitely pull off both!

hbk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2016, 06:20 AM   #1474
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk25 View Post
I like that QUICKSILVER defended TOOLS, then posted pictures of desk diving, which TOOLS kind of knocked in the original post.
Desk diver and proud of it - but you don't know what I get up to at the weekend
Old 6 November 2016, 11:48 PM   #1475
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I don't think Tools is dismissing other watches but making the point that the Explorer II is, and has remained, the most authentic no nonsense rugged tool watch in the Rolex line up.

I agree with this and its a big part of the appeal of the Explorer II to me. I think its the least popular Rolex because of this - it flies under the radar and non-wis types who want a Rolex are more likely to go for more recognised and, lets be honest, flashier models such as the Datejust, Day-Date, Sub, GMT (and I speak as a lover of these watches). That's fine - leaves more Explorers for the cognoscenti to pick up.

I love the Polar and the black. I think the black is often underrated - its a stunning watch. I would also love to have a polar 16570 with yellow tritium markers or even better, one of the creme dialed polars.

These are mine -
No hard feelings, just thought I sensed a tinge of disdain for other Rolex models.

I love this watch and actually purchased the black dial for my guy because I thought it was both beautiful AND tough. He didn't think he'd wear it much so I returned it and felt rather heartbroken that he couldn't see it was a treasure.

I agree that black is truly stunning. I would have kept it and worn it myself if I didn't already have a GMT IIc LN
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 02:22 AM   #1476
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
It is my favorite Rolex. You're still my beautiful boy.

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

That's probably one of the best ExII shots I've seen on here. Well done!
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 02:32 AM   #1477
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
That's probably one of the best ExII shots I've seen on here. Well done!
Thanks

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 03:06 AM   #1478
RGAmos
"TRF" Member

In my opinion the Explorer II with white dial looks too plain. There is no zip with it. A ceramic bezel, whether rotating or stationary, would improve the watch's appearance.
RGAmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 06:06 PM   #1479
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGAmos View Post
In my opinion the Explorer II with white dial looks too plain. There is no zip with it. A ceramic bezel, whether rotating or stationary, would improve the watch's appearance.
x2
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 06:18 PM   #1480
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
The Explorer II always had an SS bezel and I prefer it to a more brittle ceramic one.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 07:24 PM   #1481
pa30crewchief
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's "plainness" means it's my most versatile Rolex with a useful complication and it is my go to watch when I don't have the time to fuss with the watch box.

On leather it looks like a white dial dress watch and fits easily into a room full of suits. On grey NATO it fits right in with a backpack and boots. On its bracelet it's sporty in jeans without drawing attention.

Its not my favorite Rolex (root beer 16713 with that delicious brown dial is my favorite) but it is my most worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pa30crewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 07:28 PM   #1482
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

Picked mine up last week. Love it.

kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2016, 08:59 PM   #1483
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelv_w View Post
Picked mine up last week. Love it.

Great shots
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2016, 06:08 AM   #1484
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I'm a one watch kinda guy, and although there's a lot I liked about my 16610, I finally saw a black 16570 (P serial, lug holes + SEL) in person, and it ticked all the boxes for me, so I traded my SubDate for it. Because I wear my bracelet pretty snug, the thicker back of the SubDate always dug into my arm a bit, so the Exp II is much more comfortable and wears lighter and flatter on the wrist.

Oddly enough, while I don't participate any more, I was certified in cave rescue as a teenager, so the origins of the Explorer II are fun for me, and, living up in Oregon, I get outside quite a bit.

There's just something about the 16570 that I can't put my finger on. It's almost the anti-Rolex, in a way, and, despite the 16550/16570 being released in the 80s, and also being quite comfortable to wear, the watch has a bit of a brutalist, 70s look (the dial of the 1650 looks more 60s to me.) It just oozes tool watch vibe, and the more dings the better. It's a keeper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg expii.jpg (81.4 KB, 1204 views)
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 05:38 AM   #1485
FTE2014
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712&5167&5130G
TO be honest, I am not sure if the 16570 is still an underrated, unappreciated Rolex. Any Rolex collector I know either has one or looking to acquire. I have been looking for an unpolished piece at a descent price for month with no success :) I think over the past three years the love for the watch has definitely increased exponentially. Just look at the pages of commentary on this watch on this thread (58 at the time of this writing), and it tells you the changing story :)
FTE2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 05:44 AM   #1486
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

I agree with the comment above. Most TRF'ers or WIS folk appreciate the Explorer II but for the general population it doesn't seem to be too popular. I wouldn't mind one for my next piece since it has the GMT function but I'm not too fond of the orange on the dial or hands.
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 05:48 AM   #1487
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 gilt chapter
I recently picked up a 6 month old one for a good price. I really enjoy the watch....Living in Dallas almost everyone owns a ceramic sub..this was a way to have something a little different for me. It wears really well IMO.
Blakerhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 10:24 AM   #1488
elkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Just acquired a black dial 16570 myself, one of the later versions prior to the current 42mm version. I'd have to agree with what others have said previously in this thread in regards to the comfort-it's fantastic, and only my 36mm DJ models rival the comfort level of this watch.

I'm a long time Sub lover, and have had more than one 16610, 14060, and even a SubC and pre-ceramic sea Dweller. To me, there is not a better looking piece than a black SS Submariner, but I've gotten to a place in this watch hobby where I am valuing complete comfort and wearability over other aesthetic aspects that once weighed heavier to me in the Rolex lineup.

That's one of the main reasons I finally decided to give this Exp II a try.... A 40mm Rolex tool watch that looks good and wears even better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0079.jpg (131.4 KB, 1063 views)
elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 10:39 AM   #1489
Stealerfan86
Banned

Watch: Exploring
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Just acquired a black dial 16570 myself, one of the later versions prior to the current 42mm version. I'd have to agree with what others have said previously in this thread in regards to the comfort-it's fantastic, and only my 36mm DJ models rival the comfort level of this watch.

I'm a long time Sub lover, and have had more than one 16610, 14060, and even a SubC and pre-ceramic sea Dweller. To me, there is not a better looking piece than a black SS Submariner, but I've gotten to a place in this watch hobby where I am valuing complete comfort and wearability over other aesthetic aspects that once weighed heavier to me in the Rolex lineup.

That's one of the main reasons I finally decided to give this Exp II a try.... A 40mm Rolex tool watch that looks good and wears even better.

Looks great

Stealerfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 10:48 AM   #1490
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post

Looks great! I used to feel the same about Subs, but once I tried on a black 16570, I thought it was both better looking and more comfortable, so I flipped my 11610 for it on the spot, and I haven't looked back.

The Sub has a classic 50s/60s vintage look, whereas the Explorer II is a bit more 70s looking, which suits me better.
Old 1 December 2016, 10:53 AM   #1491
srtown
Banned

Watch: 116333 slate dial
I really like the EXPII. This is high on the next watch list.
srtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 03:01 AM   #1492
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

The Explorer II Enigma

Just wanted to share my latest pickup: A 16570 Polar Explorer II with tritium hands and hour plots. N-serial.

This is the 3rd 16570 Polar. The previous two I flipped. This is the first one with the tritium plots and hands. The creamy patina does wonders for the dial and makes it way more interesting imo. Hoping to keep this one for a while!

mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 07:09 AM   #1493
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

On perlon a lot these days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0628.jpg (99.5 KB, 912 views)
Old 11 January 2017, 08:27 AM   #1494
Castiel
"TRF" Member

I love mine for it's simplicity and versatility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2915.jpg (81.5 KB, 889 views)
Castiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 01:39 PM   #1495
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Love my ExpII (even more so on the Jubilee).

About a year later it's back to Oyster for the Explorer II. Some things were never meant to last...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 03:34 PM   #1496
designerguy
"TRF" Member

Looks like the value on the 16570 is going up - About 5 years ago I bought a 2003 Black face with lugs for $5000 - Australian Dollars - just seen a couple of similar spec advertised for $7000.
It seems to 16570 is becoming more sought after.

Last edited by designerguy; 11 January 2017 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: Mis-type
designerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 03:55 PM   #1497
Valhalla
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.1 KB, 808 views)
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 12:29 PM   #1498
Jim P
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp1&2,YM,Milg
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantk View Post
David,

I do not own an Explorer, however I do like the 24hr hand.

If I were to buy one I would buy the white face because I like the look of it better and because I already have a black dial watch with my Sea Dweller.

Sean
That's exactly what I did when I bought my Explorer II. Since I own a Sub I went with the white dial explorer.
Jim P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 12:47 PM   #1499
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by designerguy View Post
Looks like the value on the 16570 is going up - About 5 years ago I bought a 2003 Black face with lugs for $5000 - Australian Dollars - just seen a couple of similar spec advertised for $7000.
It seems to 16570 is becoming more sought after.
I would hope so, considering the difference between it and the GMT is simply a spinning bezel.
Old 21 January 2017, 08:51 PM   #1500
john wick
"TRF" Member

the most underrated utility watch... picked it up yesterday

john wick is offline   Reply With Quote