The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 30 December 2016, 05:11 AM   #1
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Grand Seiko SBGA001

Bought this yesterday and so glad I did! I kiddingly describe myself as a "Rolex snob", and am definitely under the spell and lure of the forum's namesake.

But after finding a nice Seiko Presage that gasses me, I found a renewed sense of interest in Seiko and was interested in a Grand one.

I tend to not be much on sub dials, but find the power reserve window appealing for some reason.

This is certainly an impressive watch. I had a few concerns though and must say they have been dispelled.

First, the 41 mm diameter. As an old fart, this is on the larger size for me. I tend to get influenced by the number, even moreso than what it actually looks like on the wrist... silly, I know.

But I have discovered that, to me, some of this is an optical illusion. The expression "wears larger" as we have heard, seems to be based on the overall layout of the watch, the lugs, the bezel, the design of the dial, etc. And I find this one sits and fits nicely.

12.5 mm thickness- a little slimmer would be better. It seems a bit thicker than my Sub and GMT, but still, the design is nice and appealing. The 14 mm thickness of my Seamaster was the literal and figurative tipping point lol, hence it's departure.

The Crown is kind of big. I fear it may nudge me. But the design has the crown sitting kind of high, so not really felt or noticeable if you bend back your hand.

No lume- kind of bugged me.

It has this Spring Drive system which keeps accuracy at about a second per day. As I understand, there is an electrical component that is charged up which concerns me a little... should it fail, I imagine a complicated and expensive service.

The watch certainly seems exquisite. Glad I stepped out of the box with this one. I think these may not have the respect and status of Rolex. Seiko sure leads us to believe the Grand Seiko is up there with anyone though.

In the Rolex world, $4000 for a brand new, authorized dealer experience does not go very far. I have had an Explorer 214270 and a Red Grape Oyster Perpetual 39 mm and did not connect strongly with either.

My mind changes on watches and I may feel differently, but must say this Grand Seiko is off to a grand start.

I must add that I purchased it from David Desso Fine Watches & Jewelry in Cedarhurst, Long Island, NY. I didn't want to go into Manhattan, and after speaking with David on the phone I got a great feeling about him. And I was right.

Unbelievable attention and patience from David and his sons and father, really made me feel special. And a very good deal too. Highest recommendations!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (65.3 KB, 147 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 05:16 AM   #2
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Beautiful, congrats
Old 30 December 2016, 05:17 AM   #3
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Wonderful! GS takes attention to detail to another level!
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 06:34 AM   #4
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

thanks guys!
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2016, 09:51 AM   #5
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

"You have to be in the know to know". Good to see someone step away from the obvious choice to something that's a First Class example of great watch making that flies under the radar for most watch buyers.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote