The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 February 2017, 01:23 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Value Questions of Papers vs. Service

OK, I know there are always a lot of questions about value in regards to box and papers.

And I read one thread recently where a lot of people commented that simply getting it serviced would keep the value the same as it if it came with original papers.

I would argue that it should actually add value. After all, papers for an older watch, out of warranty are basically worthless except to the collector or to guarantee authenticity.

I started thinking about this because a few weeks ago I sent out my 16170 (3186) coke to get serviced by Rolex. It has the original box, but no papers.

As I have greatly slown down with my watch flipping and recently increased my car flipping (way more damaging), saving and collecting funds for my next car move is my priority.

So I have thought about simply selling off some of the watches with value in my collection. Not getting a heck of a lot for my Bremont or Breitling.
And even though I am not going to sell off any of my Omegas, their resale is weak as well. That said, its not really worth it to move any of these.

This leaves me with a few Rolex watches that I simply don't wear to often. I will keep at least one, maybe two, but I prefer the funds.

But I digress......

I would have to imagine that my 16170 fully authenticated, water tested and now with a brandy new warranty, would actually be of more value than the same watch with original papers, but without warranty.

I do realize that ultimately, the market will decide what I can sell it for. But I am curious as to what the consensus here is.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:50 AM   #2
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Dang!!!! You just bought that watch!!! Personally, if it was a watch I wanted to put up as a "collector's item," I would want the original paperwork, tags, etc. If it was something that I was going to wear on a regular basis, what you have would be perfectly acceptable. Having it serviced and authenticated by an RSC does take any concerns away. As for market value, I really don't know. I thought you're Kermit would be sold by now and I still say you're crazy if you sell it.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:57 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Dang!!!! You just bought that watch!!! Personally, if it was a watch I wanted to put up as a "collector's item," I would want the original paperwork, tags, etc. If it was something that I was going to wear on a regular basis, what you have would be perfectly acceptable. Having it serviced and authenticated by an RSC does take any concerns away. As for market value, I really don't know. I thought you're Kermit would be sold by now and I still say you're crazy if you sell it.
Lmao. Don't judge me man...

I was actually one of those that argued buying a watch to hold can be fun and profitable. And I still agree with that. But it just doesn't suit me for now.

So if I'm not wearing, it goes. Not sure I'll get rid of the 16710 just yet. I was using it more as an example. Still feeling out my next few moves. But it's certainly an option.

If it's worth a lot in the future, that's ok.

And the LV was shipped just this morning.

Old 18 February 2017, 02:06 AM   #4
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Hi Seth,
I know there will be views to the contrary but especially in regards to discontinued models, a simple comparison of prices from trusted sellers or dealers online shall reveal that watches with original papers and boxes (based on my research on 1680, 1675, 1665 even 16710) will command a significantly higher premium. And that is not just a few hundreds but on instances 1-2 k upwards. The older the watch the higher the premium when comparing a watch with box and papers vs a watch with none or just a box. It has nothing to do with authentication imho nor with guarantee as -as many have pointed before - warranties have lapsed on these timepieces. It has to do with collect-ability and it seems the market has decided so. The more complete a watch the higher the premiums. That gap is exacerbated on older watches when making a comparison between incomplete vs complete sets. At least this has been my understanding in the market of second hand Rolex

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:17 AM   #5
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis7777 View Post
Hi Seth,
I know there will be views to the contrary but especially in regards to discontinued models, a simple comparison of prices from trusted sellers or dealers online shall reveal that watches with original papers and boxes (based on my research on 1680, 1675, 1665 even 16710) will command a significantly higher premium. And that is not just a few hundreds but on instances 1-2 k upwards. The older the watch the higher the premium when comparing a watch with box and papers vs a watch with none or just a box. It has nothing to do with authentication imho nor with guarantee as -as many have pointed before - warranties have lapsed on these timepieces. It has to do with collect-ability and it seems the market has decided so. The more complete a watch the higher the premiums. That gap is exacerbated on older watches when making a comparison between incomplete vs complete sets. At least this has been my understanding in the market of second hand Rolex

Great answer. Can't say I disagree either, when you put it that way.

Old 18 February 2017, 02:18 AM   #6
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
It is always nice to get the full meal deal but if you really like the watch go for it.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:35 AM   #7
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Recent RSC paperwork is a strong selling point but the original warranty paper/card would still be worth more in my opinion.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:45 AM   #8
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Fo a collectible piece, a complete set is king. The buyer could send it off to RSC as easily, but once the original paperwork is gone, it's gone for good.
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 03:04 AM   #9
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
A rolex service definately adds value, but the value of "original" papers are far more. Also depending on what was done at service, that could also potentially affect the value of the watch negatively.

Ofcourse at the end of the day condition is everything.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 04:21 AM   #10
t60
"TRF" Member

Original papers are worth more because simply, they are original. You can never get a copy of them and you can never ask Rolex to re-issue them at presumably any cost.

Servicing on the other hand, is an easy problem to solve with money.
t60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 04:32 AM   #11
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Anyone can send a watch with no paperwork to Rolex and get a new warranty card, it just takes money. You can't just buy a new history and provenance for a watch which doesn't have it, no matter how much money you spend!
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 04:33 AM   #12
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by t60 View Post
Original papers are worth more because simply, they are original. You can never get a copy of them and you can never ask Rolex to re-issue them at presumably any cost.

Servicing on the other hand, is an easy problem to solve with money.
You beat me to it!
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 04:46 AM   #13
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Lmao. Don't judge me man...

I was actually one of those that argued buying a watch to hold can be fun and profitable. And I still agree with that. But it just doesn't suit me for now.

So if I'm not wearing, it goes. Not sure I'll get rid of the 16710 just yet. I was using it more as an example. Still feeling out my next few moves. But it's certainly an option.

If it's worth a lot in the future, that's ok.

And the LV was shipped just this morning.
I can't believe you sold it and don't want to know what you let it go for because I know it's going to hurt my feelings. I expect pics of a new car very, very soon!!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote