The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2006, 04:48 AM   #1
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Icon3 Kudos to the Beverly Hills RSC

As some of you may know, I got a phantom scratch on the sapphire crystal of my 1 ½ yr old Sub Date. Short of committing suicide I was so upset that I would possibly have to part with my baby for 6-8 weeks.

So I called the Beverly Hills Service Center this morning, got right through to a very helpful lady in the customer service department who informed me that to replace the sapphire crystal would cost $90 USD and there would be a $60 service charge . $150 USD to replace the crystal didn’t sound too bad since I heard from some people (including my AD) that it may run me as much as $300.

She said that they have the part in stock and depending on what time I come by, they might even be able to complete the job right then and there ! Worse case I’d be looking at a day or two max!

Needless to say that my first experience with an RSC was positive!

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic

Last edited by Spencer; 25 April 2006 at 04:50 AM..
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2006, 04:55 AM   #2
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Good! Let us know how it goes
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2006, 04:56 AM   #3
Atomic

Wow, are you sure you didn't call Rolex Canada?

That's impressive service, given your place is owned by RUSA, notorious for bad service.

I guess the $60 is for labour. They'd have to basically pull the movement out of the watch to replace the crystal, and then water test it to ensure no leaks. That's not out of line.

A guy I know noticed a small scratch on the inside of his crystal. He bought the watch in HK but called Rolex Canada (in Toronto) and had it replaced the next day, while he waited, and it was under warranty. Gotta love that service.
Old 25 April 2006, 06:05 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
That's quite reasonable, Spencer. Good luck and hope you get your watch back asap.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2006, 06:25 AM   #5
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Great news. You'll much happier with the new crystal. Have them show you the etching before you leave the store. Make sure it's 100% the way you want it.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2006, 06:29 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
Great news. You'll much happier with the new crystal. Have them show you the etching before you leave the store. Make sure it's 100% the way you want it.
Since it's a replacement crystal, in all probability it will NOT have the usual coronet. Instead, it will have a tiny "S" etched....like this...

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 25 April 2006, 09:10 AM   #7
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
That's good news Spencer. Let us know how you make out.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2006, 09:52 AM   #8
Spencer
"TRF" Member

First off what an amazing building! I’ve driven by the building a hundred or so times, though this was my first time in it. Very modern and up to date building, gorgeous open reception/waiting room with very high vaulted ceilings. It’s kind of funny, the space is so expansive and large yet there was just one woman sitting behind a massive wooden desk and me in the room. She said I caught them at a good time since they had been so busy in the morning.

I dropped off my watch, she told me to return in one hour. So I walked around Beverly Hills a little bit, made my way into a couple of clothing stores and of course Geary’s Jewelers. Geary’s for you out of towner’s is a very sheshe high end jeweler and watch store. They actually have two locations probably within 200 yards or so of one another. They always have an excellent selection of Rolexes, but of course no SS Daytona or LV. I did try on the Pepsi and the SS Plat YM, since I’m starting to think I will end up with these two since the Daytona/LV are so darn hard to get your hands on.

An hour later I returned to the RSC to find my watch waiting for me! They replaced the crystal (cost $157 USD), gave me a bottle of water and a copy of a Rolex magazine which is called Perpetual….. something or another. I have never seen this magazine before, but it seems pretty cool. Some info on Rolex watches and stories on many of their ambassadors.

All in all my experience was great. Good service, beautiful building, and most important they fixed my watch perfectly. Any local LA guys I highly suggest you check out the building as well as any travelers that find their way to Los Angeles one day.

Old 25 April 2006, 10:00 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer
First off what an amazing building! I’ve driven by the building a hundred or so times, though this was my first time in it. Very modern and up to date building, gorgeous open reception/waiting room with very high vaulted ceilings. It’s kind of funny, the space is so expansive and large yet there was just one woman sitting behind a massive wooden desk and me in the room. She said I caught them at a good time since they had been so busy in the morning.

I dropped off my watch, she told me to return in one hour. So I walked around Beverly Hills a little bit, made my way into a couple of clothing stores and of course Geary’s Jewelers. Geary’s for you out of towner’s is a very sheshe high end jeweler and watch store. They actually have two locations probably within 200 yards or so of one another. They always have an excellent selection of Rolexes, but of course no SS Daytona or LV. I did try on the Pepsi and the SS Plat YM, since I’m starting to think I will end up with these two since the Daytona/LV are so darn hard to get your hands on.

An hour later I returned to the RSC to find my watch waiting for me! They replaced the crystal (cost $157 USD), gave me a bottle of water and a copy of a Rolex magazine which is called Perpetual….. something or another. I have never seen this magazine before, but it seems pretty cool. Some info on Rolex watches and stories on many of their ambassadors.

All in all my experience was great. Good service, beautiful building, and most important they fixed my watch perfectly. Any local LA guys I highly suggest you check out the building as well as any travelers that find their way to Los Angeles one day.
Such a nice, long and interesting story and you forget the most important thing....CLEAVAGE, you tosser!!

Old 25 April 2006, 10:13 AM   #10
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
That's great news, Spencer! You may as well not rush them - if they're changing the crystal they're going to have to do checks like pressure testing, so you may as well give them the time and space to do it all right.
Old 25 April 2006, 10:39 AM   #11
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Spencer, thats great top hear, pal. I'm glad it worked out so well for you
Old 25 April 2006, 11:18 AM   #12
mike
"TRF" Member

Great news Spencer!
I've had watches done by BH and their work is outstanding!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2006, 02:17 PM   #13
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Such a nice, long and interesting story and you forget the most important thing....CLEAVAGE, you tosser!!

The girl who helped me was ok looking, nothing too special. She was wearing a pretty conservative womans business suit. Oh well, trust me JJ if she had the goods I would've mentioned it, and probably have taken a picture like the one of that well endowed gal at Mansors, which suspiciously seems to have been removed from the thread...

Old 25 April 2006, 06:07 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Glad you got it sorted out quickly Spencer.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2006, 07:10 PM   #15
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Glad it worked out easy and smooth for you Spencer
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2006, 02:41 AM   #16
RobDad

cleavage??

In response To JJ's fixation with cleavage, I can't think of a single AD I have visited in London where I've been served by a woman let alone one pleasingly 'endowed'.

Most of the London AD's I've dealt with employ middle-aged, well spoken 'gentlemen', who whilst not attractive to look at seem to know their stuff, which considering a Rolex watch is an expensive purchase is far more important to me!!!

Mind you, when I walked down Oxford Street today, I spied a couple of girls who were virtually nekkid - it's 14C today, in our book that's a heatwave!
RobDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2006, 04:22 AM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDad
In response To JJ's fixation with cleavage, I can't think of a single AD I have visited in London where I've been served by a woman let alone one pleasingly 'endowed'.

Most of the London AD's I've dealt with employ middle-aged, well spoken 'gentlemen', who whilst not attractive to look at seem to know their stuff, which considering a Rolex watch is an expensive purchase is far more important to me!!!

Mind you, when I walked down Oxford Street today, I spied a couple of girls who were virtually nekkid - it's 14C today, in our book that's a heatwave!
What were they selling, Rob?

Old 27 April 2006, 05:00 AM   #18
GMTIIPilot

Watch: Rolex GMT II
Glad to hear things went well at the BH RCS. Ill have to swing by next time Im out in L.A.

As far as the cleavage thread goes, if anyone has a chance to check out Ben Bridge in Broomfield, CO, there is a very fine example of cleavage behind the counter.
GMTIIPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2006, 01:13 PM   #19
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
I'm surprised to hear that you had your crystal replaced so quickly. When I had my sub with date crystal replaced my AD sent it to New York and I knew the crystal replacement was $90.00 and the $60.00 was for water proofing/pressure testing. (the AD then usually doubles the price for their mark-up). When I called to check the status of the watch, I was told that the crystal had been replaced, but it would take at least one day for waterproofing/pressure testing, since they have to open the whole watch to replace the crystal. That's why I'm surprised to hear that they did the entire job on your watch in only one hour.
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2006, 02:44 PM   #20
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD
I'm surprised to hear that you had your crystal replaced so quickly. When I had my sub with date crystal replaced my AD sent it to New York and I knew the crystal replacement was $90.00 and the $60.00 was for water proofing/pressure testing. (the AD then usually doubles the price for their mark-up). When I called to check the status of the watch, I was told that the crystal had been replaced, but it would take at least one day for waterproofing/pressure testing, since they have to open the whole watch to replace the crystal. That's why I'm surprised to hear that they did the entire job on your watch in only one hour.
That's more or less what I thought would happen. Only one hour though, so I'm happu with that. I'm sure the RSC did a proper thorough job.

Old 28 April 2006, 03:29 AM   #21
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Interesting story. The same thing happened to me. I had to replace the crystal due to a small hairline scratch. Also happened about a year and a half after I got the watch.

I took it to the local AD here. I was expecting to wait 2 months or so. They returned it within one month. Almost exactly. They charged me an even 90 bucks, out the door. Not sure what the extra 60 bucks was for. Maybe I just got a deal?

It's awesome that you got it done the same day though. That may have been worth the extra 60!
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2006, 11:31 AM   #22
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
JJ,
I checked my replacement crystal on my sub and you are 100% correct. Inside the crown there's a tiny sideways "s" exactly as shown in the picture you posted. How do you know this stuff? I thought I amazed some people by letting them know that the coronet/crown is etched in the crystal, now I can impress them even more with the new info you've shared. I'm going to attempt to reward you with a great submariner/cleavage picture as soon as I can figure out how to use my digital camera. I'm a great doctor/surgeon, but I'm still clicking away with my old 35 mm Nikon. Takes great shots, it's just tough getting them on the computer. Be patient and I'll get a great cleavage/submariner shot for all your great information.
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2006, 05:41 PM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD
JJ,
I checked my replacement crystal on my sub and you are 100% correct. Inside the crown there's a tiny sideways "s" exactly as shown in the picture you posted. How do you know this stuff? I thought I amazed some people by letting them know that the coronet/crown is etched in the crystal, now I can impress them even more with the new info you've shared. I'm going to attempt to reward you with a great submariner/cleavage picture as soon as I can figure out how to use my digital camera. I'm a great doctor/surgeon, but I'm still clicking away with my old 35 mm Nikon. Takes great shots, it's just tough getting them on the computer. Be patient and I'll get a great cleavage/submariner shot for all your great information.
Thanks a lot, Doc.

While I do appreciate your sentiments, it wouldn't be entirely fair for me to take credit for this information. The picture below was posted my very good English gentleman, Adrian (Uncle-AJ) who had his own crystal replaced by a similar one.

I guess it pays to be on these fora for so long....you do get to learn quite a bit!!