The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 April 2006, 12:23 AM   #1
JKnight

How many is too many?

Well I always thought that I wanted a huge Rolex collection but now I'm not so sure. I currently have 3; a SS Sub Date, Green Sub, and a TT Blue Sub. I'm the type of person that likes to use whatever I buy and if I'm not using something I will sell it and buy something I will use.

Lately I've been feeling like the more watches I have the less I will enjoy them. I almost miss the days when I had only one (a SD) and really enjoyed that watch to the fullest. I've thought about going back to just one but I would have a really hard time picking just one out of my collection.

If I were to keep collecting I would add a SD and a YM. I'm torn weather I should keep what I have or get down to 1 or 2 watches at a time. I currently wear the TT Sub and the Green Sub the most. The Sub date gets very little wrist time but when I do wear it I enjoy it.

Does anyone else feel this way?
JKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 12:55 AM   #2
RobDad

Nice problem to have!

But I kind of agree - whenever I've had 3 or 4 watches, I've always had a favourite and neglected the rest!

I guess you own some very similar watches, personally I'm very happy with my regular sub-date, as it really is a wear-anywhere, go-anywhere watch.

I love the TT sub, but it might attract too much attention in some places, and I'm not huge on the Kermit as I don't really like green as a colour - plus it wouldn't go with eg a Tux as well as a regular sub.

I need a date, a turning bezel for timing parking meters and a tough case, I guess if I bought another watch it would have to be radically different!

If I was in your position I'd build a collection of Divers - Doxa, Panerai, etc, that way you get a good spread of styles. Mind you, I'd keep all the rollies as well
RobDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 01:47 AM   #3
newtamparealestate
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C
I think having a large collection is great. I own 2 right now and bought them each dec for yhe past 2 years. I plan to buy a new one every dec. I like having a collection and being the value doesn't decrease to bad, if u got inn a bind u could sell them later. I say keep them.
newtamparealestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 02:01 AM   #4
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
First off let me say that I am not "dissing" ppl who do this, but I have never understood the point of having multiple copies of the same watch. There are guys out there that have 3 or 4 5513s or 16610 etc. I do understand the ones that own all the different generations and variations (16610 & 16610LV, 1680 + 1680 RED etc)

I think that when you have more than one of the same watch (of course not including the ones of sentimental value) its a waste imo.

My ideal collection would be to have one from each camp (1 from explorers, 1 from the DJs, 1 from the GMTs etc etc)
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 02:19 AM   #5
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF
First off let me say that I am not "dissing" ppl who do this, but I have never understood the point of having multiple copies of the same watch. There are guys out there that have 3 or 4 5513s or 16610 etc. I do understand the ones that own all the different generations and variations (16610 & 16610LV, 1680 + 1680 RED etc)

I think that when you have more than one of the same watch (of course not including the ones of sentimental value) its a waste imo.

My ideal collection would be to have one from each camp (1 from explorers, 1 from the DJs, 1 from the GMTs etc etc)
Of you could just be like JJ and have one copy of every Rolex, but not all at the same time.
Old 29 April 2006, 03:24 AM   #6
mike
"TRF" Member

I think this is a great topic. And,I think it gets back to the "enthusiast vs collector" mindset.
As an "enthusiast" a few watches that complement each other serves the user well. As an example A GMT II and a sub along with perhaps a DJ of some sort give the user all the capabilities one is ever apt to need.

As a "collector" focus on the subtle differences in a particular style of watch (divers for example) or evolutionary changes make the world go round.

As a "collector" I find the small differences (and sometimes not so small differences) fascinating.
As an example--here are two 1675s. One the normally seen white,the other the older gilt dial with small pointer hand.

Functionally,the same watch. But to a collector as different as night and day.

Add transitional models with a quick-set date feature and the modern version with a jump hour feature and the history of the GMT is mapped.

From a usery standpoint very much a duplication of the same basic function.
And as an enthusiast perhaps a bit silly.

The same arguement could be made for divers or chronos or any segment of the watch community where the differences may only be wording on a dial,pointy crown guards,or any number of small differences.

While we generally view ourselves as either enthusiasts or collectors (I consider myself a bit of both),I think there is another catagory,that of the accumulator. Without focus we can sometimes find ourselves with a "gathering" of watches that get no real use or serve a purpose. IMHO.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 03:25 AM   #7
Mrdi
Banned

JJs is changing his current YM for the new model just posted on the web.
Ewe mamma!!
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 04:47 AM   #8
Spencer
"TRF" Member

I agree with you.

However my finacees uncle would hardly. He owns close to 35 Rolexes. More or less one of each model as well as the different variations, i.e. SS Daytonas, WG Daytonas, etc. He also owns several Cartiers, Franck Muller, Panerai, Breguet, Breitling, Patek, and probably some others as well. I'd say he has about another 30 or so non-Rolex watches.

He is one of those nut ball collectors who owns pieces that he never has actually worn. He just likes looking at them in their box and winding them. He typically will wear a watch for about 2 weeks straight, then when he's done with it he'll take it to get professionally cleaned and then retire it for a couple of months.

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 04:55 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Lately I've been feeling like the more watches I have the less I will enjoy them.

Hi Knight,

And welcome to TRF. Your above statement says it all, my friend. The very reason why I insist on just TWO Rollies at any given time. That way you truly get to enjoy them BOTH to the FULLEST.

You can never go wrong with just two watches. And you will never tire of them either!!

Cheers - JJ

My TWO babies...

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 04:55 AM   #10
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
I can never sell a watch. I plan on building a collection over time. Even though I never wear it, I still have my Heuer and my Zodiak.
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 05:46 AM   #11
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I have no interest in building a huge collection. In fact with three watches right now one always gets left out. For me it is the YM. I put it on this morning with the intention to wear it, but changed before I left the house.

I actually feel like sometimes the extra watches only get worn out of sympathy, that is not a good thing for me.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 09:33 AM   #12
writer
"TRF" Member

I think two is good enough, unless you are a serious collector. But I think the two should be different types of watches. For example, I can't own two sports models. I currently own a Sub and a TT DJ. It is much easier juggling these two very different watches.
writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 09:44 AM   #13
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
[i]...The very reason why I insist on just TWO Rollies at any given time. That way you truly get to enjoy them BOTH to the FULLEST.
I agree with that statement to some extent, but echoing what others have said, I like three. I have three very different models (DJ, Daytona and Sub-Date), and the basic unifying factor is two-tone and champagne dials (and Rolex, of course). If I could have gotten the Sub with a champagne dial, I would have done!

I find that with three of them I can rotate as my taste and whims dictate, and not stress any of them with wear. I do tend to wear the Daytona and the Blue Sub more often, but when I DO wear the Datejust, it is a distinct pleasure!!!

Just MHO...
Old 29 April 2006, 09:54 AM   #14
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Seven is too many ( that's because I have 5, if I add one that only makes 6, so I'm not offside)
When I had 2, It was easy to rotate them. With more than that, I do feel guilty leaving some behind and not getting the wrist time.
BUT, they each feel/wear a bit different, so the change up is nice.
Like shoes, one pair not enough, you need different ones as sees fit.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it ( for a while anyway)

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 11:02 AM   #15
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Two is a good number to have. I started with a SS sub date and a TT DJ. Perfect pair. But not sure if there ever is a "TOO many" point.

But thinking more would be better, I now have a SS sub, TT blue sub, SS DJ, TT DJ, SS/WG OQ, and exp I.

But no real regrets here to speak of. Sure they do not get as much wrist time as if I only had two, but I enjoy each watch I have.

We can rationalize our watch purchases in many ways. For me, I had the money at the time to spend while not dipping into savings, and I now have the watches. Hopfully only the cost of servicing will keep me happy for a long time. Who is say what a TT Sub will cost in 10 years? Thought I better get in while the gettin' was good.

Perhaps the too many point is different for everyone.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 11:10 AM   #16
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K

Perhaps the too many point is different for everyone.
Great point Mark, I totally agree.

Old 29 April 2006, 11:11 AM   #17
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
Seven is too many ( that's because I have 5, if I add one that only makes 6, so I'm not offside)

Old 29 April 2006, 02:04 PM   #18
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt

Last edited by C.J.; 25 May 2006 at 03:17 AM..
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 02:50 PM   #19
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
Icon4 Am I sick?

Hey all,
This thread just made me think about my actual "watch situation"...
I would say that I can be considered an enthusiast, a collector and an acumulator at the same time...

- An enthusiast (this is a pre-qualification to all the others...), I'm part of this forum, keeping updated to the new stuff, being interested in understanding the history behind timepieces and really enjoying using some models etc);

- A collector, because the majority of the ones I own are limited editions and/or historic timepieces in some way;

- Acumulator, because I do have some ones that I never worned, but kept on the box and because I did not sell any that I bought so far;

So, becoming much more an enthusiast since an year ago, I started feelling bad of not using all that and more than that keeping some without using and deserving some others...

Am I sick?

After knowing better Rolex's history and getting the first one, I became an 80% enthusiast joinning to use them (Rolex) 24 hours a day...(before, I used only one watch for years, even having others on the box)...

So, I ended wanting to own all Rolex sports one and some with some variations like SS, TT, comemorative of the same model...for example.(to be used and enjoined for sure!! )

Something that I have to confess is that the fact about of the history, tradition and hard and long time to get it maybe made me more into that and deserving it more...Am I a Rolex's marketing action victm?

Is there anybody else suffering from the same illness?

All comments and experience would be more than appreciated.

(Ps. I hope I am not hijacking this thread)
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 03:24 PM   #20
Spencer
"TRF" Member

I'm sure my tastes will change over time however here's what I hope my collection will be in the not so distant future.

SS Sub Date (own it)
GMT II Pepsi
SS/Plat YM
SS Daytona

Old 29 April 2006, 03:26 PM   #21
Rto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer
I'm sure my tastes will change over time however here's what I hope my collection will be in the not so distant future.

SS Sub Date (own it)
GMT II Pepsi
SS/Plat YM
SS Daytona
You forgot the LV right?
Old 29 April 2006, 03:28 PM   #22
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto
You forgot the LV right?

True. Tell you the truth, I've been leaning towards the Pepsi lately since I already own a Sub

Old 29 April 2006, 03:31 PM   #23
Rto
"TRF" Member

Quote:

True. Tell you the truth, I've been leaning towards the Pepsi lately since I already own a Sub
Did you try already to get your AD's best shot of discount on the GMT pepsi? Any idea of what % off would be easily able to get, if any?
Old 29 April 2006, 03:50 PM   #24
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto
Did you try already to get your AD's best shot of discount on the GMT pepsi? Any idea of what % off would be easily able to get, if any?
I haven't spoke to my AD about it yet.

Remember me telling you about an AD I know in North Carolina? I think if I get the Pepsi I'll go through them. A) The buyer for that store can probably get me 5-15% off, and B) I can save on tax since they'll ship it to me from NC.

I'll let you knwo what they say, assuming I get it (probably won't be for a month or two).

Old 29 April 2006, 03:56 PM   #25
Rto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I haven't spoke to my AD about it yet.

Remember me telling you about an AD I know in North Carolina? I think if I get the Pepsi I'll go through them. A) The buyer for that store can probably get me 5-15% off, and B) I can save on tax since they'll ship it to me from NC.

I'll let you knwo what they say, assuming I get it (probably won't be for a month or two).
ok, let me know! I'm asking you that, just because I have being checking with some ADs personally and by phone and the majority are not discounting at all any sports model...(I do understand for some sport ones, but not for a GMT pepsi that is pretty much in stock at all ADs thru out the US)
Old 29 April 2006, 04:06 PM   #26
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto
ok, let me know! I'm asking you that, just because I have being checking with some ADs personally and by phone and the majority are not discounting at all any sports model...(I do understand for some sport ones, but not for a GMT pepsi that is pretty much in stock at all ADs thru out the US)
That is very true.

You'll hardly ever find any discount on a SS sport model. I've spent some moeny through these guys before and they've told me that they would "help me out" when and if I bought a Rolex from them. At the very least, saving the $373 in CA tax by buying it in NC is worth it.

Old 29 April 2006, 04:45 PM   #27
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Spencer, your tastes and mine are similar, with the exception of the "blingy one" I have a TT DJ instead of a Plat YM. But you and I agree on having a Land, Air and Sea combo :)

RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2006, 12:14 AM   #28
Lol-x
Facilitator

You've only got enough when you get, "that last one".
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2006, 04:06 AM   #29
Spencer
"TRF" Member

RogerF the collection looks great!!!!

Old 30 April 2006, 07:10 AM   #30
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x
You've only got enough when you get, "that last one".
I'm with you, Steve. There's never such a thing as "too many." It's more like "enough." When do you have enough? That's going to be different for everyone. For some, one is enough. For others, two. And for others it's never enough. I've still got one or two more to go; then, maybe, just maybe, it will be enough.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote