The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 September 2008, 10:33 AM   #1
mjtql

Watch: Back to the Sub
GMTII / Daytona

Hey guys,
I'm doing some research on which Rolex to buy and initially thought I wanted the Plat/SS YM but after thinking about it, it may be a little flashy for my tastes (beautiful watch though). I really like the GMTII SS and of course the Daytona SS/White but as my jeweler has informed me, both are hard to come across. Just looking for feedback on this subject - I know there's quite a price difference, but in terms of availability are both of these watches scarce?

Thanks
Mike
mjtql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 10:38 AM   #2
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Hi and welcome .
the daytona is certainly quite scarce and hard to find at retail price. But a few members on here have managed to get them recently. Usually after being on a waiting list for a year or so. some alot more more , some less
The GMT II- i presume you mean the newer model with the ceramic bezel is not so scarce but it is still hard to find in some countries like the UK- but any Authorised dealer should be able to get you one in less than a month if they do not have it in stock

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 11:16 AM   #3
daytona1

Heres both. The GMT is a bit bigger.

daytona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
IMHO the GMTIIc is more flashy than the YM by far. They all look nice and you should get the one you like.
Old 18 September 2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
how do you rank these three watches? which would you like to have over the other two? maybe you will need to buy both gmt and yachtmaster before your jeweler will give you the Daytona?
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 12:32 PM   #6
mjtql

Watch: Back to the Sub
This is true! I have been unable to view either in person yet as my jeweler didn't have the two models on display. IMHO the Daytona is a far better looking watch and also more versatile (can wear with anything b/c of the neutral colors). I have a black Twin Time from Tag so it would be a little redundant to purchase the GMT but I love the look of both and don't want to have to wait years to purchase the Daytona. Thanks for the pictures and feedback.
mjtql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 12:36 PM   #7
pilapandet
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II SS
Depend on what you will use for. If you travel alot. GMT is a much better choice.
pilapandet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 08:47 PM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtql View Post
Hey guys,
I'm doing some research on which Rolex to buy and initially thought I wanted the Plat/SS YM but after thinking about it, it may be a little flashy for my tastes (beautiful watch though). I really like the GMTII SS and of course the Daytona SS/White but as my jeweler has informed me, both are hard to come across. Just looking for feedback on this subject - I know there's quite a price difference, but in terms of availability are both of these watches scarce?

Thanks
Mike
Mike, in Ohio the GMT is a bit easier to get (my experience) and if limited to one or the other would be my pick for it's versatility.

The white Daytona is a stunning piece however.

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 10:45 PM   #9
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
WELCOME TO TRF!!!

Both is GREAT, but Daytona is my vote.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2008, 12:10 AM   #10
ral

I have seen plenty of two tone GMT's with the ceramic bezel at the local AD's. The SS one seems to be hard to find. Same situation with the Daytona's... two tones are easy to get, but the SS ones are hard to find.
ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2008, 02:52 AM   #11
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks
Mike
The IIC is not scarce at all..just make some phonecalls to other ADs in your area. SS Daytona is still hard to find without some type of prior relationship.
Old 19 September 2008, 03:07 AM   #12
James T
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Mike, in Ohio the GMT is a bit easier to get (my experience) and if limited to one or the other would be my pick for it's versatility.

The white Daytona is a stunning piece however.

this pix of the gmt is stunning! welcome to trf
Old 19 September 2008, 07:03 PM   #13
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks
Mike
Hello Mike,

You have found a great resource in TRF. This site has many members that are more than happy to assist you. Now my 2 cents on your choices...

From what I've seen and heard, the GMT IIC is readily available throughout the US. Try calling another AD in your area, and if you have no luck, widen your search a few hundred miles.

The Daytona is another story. It has long been the "Holy Grail" to many wishful seekers. The ultimate chronograph watch. I have yet to see the Daytona in any AD case, and when they do have one, in the safe....its already sold. You may want to get on as many waiting lists as possible (if the AD has one) to increase your odds of getting the call. Perhaps letting them imprint your Credit Card will show them you are serious.

In terms on functions, the GMT has a rotatable 24hour bezel, 2nd time zone, and date feature. The Daytona has a chronograph for timing events and a tachometer on the bezel to measure speeds over a set distance. $6825 versus $9200.

Good luck with your choices, post some pics when you get one.

#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2008, 09:56 PM   #14
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona1 View Post
Heres both. The GMT is a bit bigger.

My God man!!! Put a tablecloth down on the keyboard before having your lunch every day!!!

JK

Seriously... I'm not a germ or clean freak, but that keyboard is uhhh...

I guess you don't have many people trying to use your computer that way.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2008, 10:28 PM   #15
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
white daytona because it's different!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2008, 12:01 AM   #16
Eli

I really love my Daytona... but to be honest I can't take my GMT2 off... It's been already a month straight that my Daytona barely gets wrist time. And it's not like the Daytona novelty has worn off, I've only owned it for about 8 months (daytona).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize.jpg (189.0 KB, 85 views)
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote