The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 May 2017, 03:53 PM   #121
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
31-36mm
Old 30 May 2017, 10:26 PM   #122
Ad11wrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco Ramirez View Post
New to the forum, but have been reading several of the postings -- not found the answer to this question.

My wife (who is 59 years old) is a professional and has two masters degrees. But, she is also very down to earth and likes to garden. And, in addition to finer things, on occasion, she likes go out to a dive bar or greasy spoon restaurant, too.

I want to surprise her with a Rolex for the holidays. I showed her an ad from the New York Times Magazine a few months back, showing a ladies watch in stainless steel, jubilee band, diamond bezel and silver face with diamonds for numbers. She thought it was very nice. From the ad, I could not tell if it was the midsize 31 mm, or the ladies 26 mm. I just assumed it was the 26mm.

I was prepared to order it, but then I stopped by a local shop and looked at them. The sales person told me that the 31 mm was a much more popular item. She said that most women were going for the bigger watch, and that only the older ladies were opting for what must have been the traditional size -- 26 mm.

I then went home and just sort of nonchalantly brought up the subject of bigger watches for women and asked my wife whether women were wearing bigger watches these days, and she said, yes, some were, and it was sort of the style.

My wife is 5'7" and she is blonde (if that matters, eh?). Over the last few years she has become more curvy -- not so slim anymore. Her current watch is a Tag Heuer -- guessing about 26 mm -- stainless steel -- no diamonds or such. She has given all of her yellow gold jewelry to the daughters over the last few years -- and she has been into white gold, platinum and silver jewelry (the David Yurman sort of stuff) for the last few years. Her wedding ring is platinum.

I am really inclined to get her the Rolex 179160, stainless steel, jubilee band, with silver face and diamond numbers, with diamond bezel. But, I would like to know folks thoughts.

Is the 31 mm generally more desirable and preferred these days? If I get this one, I probably will not be able to also get the diamond bezel. So, it would be just be the midsize (31 mm) with the same stainless jubilee band and the diamonds for numbers on the face. If this is the more preferred style, do the ladies think the black face or the silver face is preferred?

Asking her to go to the jewelry store and pick it out is not an option for me -- just my thing that I have to surprise her.

Thanks

31mm is a perfect size
Ad11wrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 02:33 AM   #123
Tonyfsu21
Banned

Here's my wife's 31mm next to my Smurf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2562.jpg (99.4 KB, 308 views)
Tonyfsu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 02:37 AM   #124
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I prefer the 31mm.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 03:26 AM   #125
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
The wife loves here 40mm Yachtmaster!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2023.jpg (118.4 KB, 297 views)

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 10:17 AM   #126
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

My girlfriend is 5'5 and my 34mm Air King looks great on her (in my opinion, at least). She also wears my 40mm Sub No Date on occassion. I feel like it's acceptable for women to wear anything between 26-40mm nowadays. It's going to boil down to what SHE likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 04:05 PM   #127
Maximaus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotter View Post
My fiancee and I went to our local AD several weeks ago and tested both the 26mm and 31mm. Given her slim build and 5'5" height, we both agreed that the 31mm looked better on her wrist.

26mm

31mm
Hi, just wondering which dial colour that is in the 2nd pic (31mm)? Thank you
Maximaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 10:30 PM   #128
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I gave my wife the choice and to my surprise she wanted the 26. It looks great on her, she is 40 btw 5'7 and in good shape. The size really is just her. I would find a way to let her choose.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 12:28 AM   #129
eterna
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIc
My wife went for the 36mm DJ white dial roman. She said if she even grew tired of it, at least I can still wear it.
eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 03:05 AM   #130
vol375
"TRF" Member

My wife has a 26mm DJ, and it looks great on her. Her next DJ will be a 31 or 36 in rose gold. Probably the 31 though.
vol375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 07:56 AM   #131
DamselInDistress
"TRF" Member

Small is sophisticated

It depends on how wide her wrists are

I'm in a fairly similar position I tend to work in very corporate environments and have to look very professional and not the girly girl I am for people to take me seriously

So I'd recommend a smaller watch the 26mm its more understated and sophisticated and classy on smaller feminine wrists

A 31mm is not an everyday watch it's too big and extravagant

Black is classy and will go with everything silver is more showy but still nice
DamselInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 08:01 AM   #132
DamselInDistress
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximaus View Post
Hi, just wondering which dial colour that is in the 2nd pic (31mm)? Thank you
Definitely not the off pink color
DamselInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 08:28 AM   #133
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Isn't the 26mm now discontinued? I believe they do a 28mm or 31mm for the ladies if they don't opt for the 36 or larger.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2017, 07:52 AM   #134
Bluesapphire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreakemp View Post
I just bought a 26mm. I am only 5ft tall and it looks' perfect on me. I love it!
Congrats!

I've been a viewer of this forum for many many moons, finally joined...better late than never...

I'm also 4'11", 100lbs, have been debating to go with a 28mm or a 31mm. I've tried both at the store and I find the 28mm is a perfect size and a lot more comfortable. It felt like I was wearing the watch and the watch is not wearing me. I will be buying the 28mm soon still deciding if I want the champagne or the silver dial... I also have the 26mm from the 90's.
Bluesapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2017, 07:56 AM   #135
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Isn't the 26mm now discontinued? I believe they do a 28mm or 31mm for the ladies if they don't opt for the 36 or larger.
That is correct, 26mm is now discontinued.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2017, 08:09 AM   #136
SpyShops718
Banned

Watch: Rolex YM2 Gold '08
31mm
SpyShops718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2017, 08:10 AM   #137
Maiden
"TRF" Member

My wife is 5"7 130 lbs. I gave her the choice and she picked 28mm. She has tried larger watches and they are just not "her". Bottom line is you are taking a guess. If buying new from an AD I would see if he would let you return unworn if she is not fond of the size. If you don't give her the option she will say you chose correctly to are spare your feelings. Good luck.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2017, 03:46 PM   #138
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Everyone is different. My wife thinks midsize watches on women are too masculine, and really large watches on women are ridiculous. She prefers a smaller more feminine size. She loves her 26mm. Others will say she's crazy, or has old lady tastes. I don't try to arbitrate. :-) She's only 45, and I buy what she likes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2017, 04:03 AM   #139
Bluesapphire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToSeeHere View Post
Thank you. My wife is 5'0 also and I'm planning on getting her a 26. I wasn't sure if that was the right size
I'm 4"11 and 100lbs. I ordered the 28mm for myself, not a fan of big watches. My daughter who will be 21 soon, for her generation she opted for a 31mm. She's bigger and bonier than I am she's 5'2 and 115lbs. It is really a preference. Look at what size watch your wife is currently wearing and gauge it at that. Also, make sure the lug doesn't extends the wrist. When I tried on the 31mm it is big on my wrist. Almost gaudy looking on my small wrist�� Good luck. Attaching an image of a 31mm on my wrist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2877.JPG (22.7 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by Bluesapphire; 23 July 2017 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: Image
Old 23 July 2017, 04:13 AM   #140
luvchnl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesapphire View Post
I'm 4"11 and 100lbs. I ordered the 28mm for myself, not a fan of big watches. My daughter who will be 21 soon, for her generation she opted for a 31mm. She's bigger and bonier than I am she's 5'2 and 115lbs. It is really a preference. Look at what size watch your wife is currently wearing and gauge it at that. Also, make sure the lug doesn't extends the wrist. When I tried on the 31mm it is big on my wrist. Almost gaudy looking on my small wrist�� Good luck. Attaching an image of a 31mm on my wrist.
Do you have a picture of the 28mm on your wrist? It is the size I am interested in for my next piece.
Old 23 July 2017, 04:41 AM   #141
Bluesapphire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvchnl View Post
Do you have a picture of the 28mm on your wrist? It is the size I am interested in for my next piece.
I don't have a photo, can you hang until Monday? I'm going to pick it up on Monday and for sizing. I will have pictures then. Sorry.
Old 23 July 2017, 05:25 AM   #142
luvchnl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesapphire View Post
I don't have a photo, can you hang until Monday? I'm going to pick it up on Monday and for sizing. I will have pictures then. Sorry.
Don't be sorry. Congratulations on your new 28mm! I think that is such a beautiful size for ladies. Looking forward to a wrist shot once you have it. I am really drawn to that size case right now.
Old 25 July 2017, 07:23 AM   #143
Bluesapphire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvchnl View Post
Don't be sorry. Congratulations on your new 28mm! I think that is such a beautiful size for ladies. Looking forward to a wrist shot once you have it. I am really drawn to that size case right now.

Here you go...pictures of the 28mm and 31mm on my wrist...hope that helps...but, you really have to go into an AD and try both on. Both sizes have a different look. Good luck, let me know what you decide, send me a PM, love to see what you choose. Both bracelets feel different, one is flatter and the other is slightly rounded, the 28 is flatter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (86.7 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg (95.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg (81.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender_3.jpg (92.0 KB, 141 views)
Old 6 September 2017, 11:52 PM   #144
Diamond Light House
"TRF" Member

I want to <b><a href="https://www.diamondlighthouse.com/">sell my diamonds</a></b>. Come to Diamond Lighthouse & we find you the highest offers for your diamond.
Diamond Light House is offline   Reply With Quote