The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2017, 06:58 PM   #1
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Restoring older Rolexes

We know the rule....the watch needs to be 'unrestored' to hold value. Things like replacement dials. Hands, relumes, polishing etc are frowned upon. 'Originality' is everything.
But there's another way to see this; 'original' could equally be used to describe a watch kept in top class condition, using accurate replacement parts freely. This way, the watch looks more like the designer and manufacturer intended when it came from the factory. It could be seen as more true than an ageing watch with damaged lume, scrstched paint and weary mechanism.
Which is really more 'true' to the original watch? Is it simply a matter of personal preference?
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I'm very happy with my Sub 5513 from the late '80s. Replaced dial, hands and crown. Orignal case bezel and 1520 movement. Not very different to the original except that it's all luminova now, and should be good for a few more decades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (273.8 KB, 446 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 07:39 PM   #3
MGWT
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'm very happy with my Sub 5513 from the late '80s. Replaced dial, hands and crown. Orignal case bezel and 1520 movement. Not very different to the original except that it's all luminova now, and should be good for a few more decades.
What a great looking 5513.
MGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 07:45 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWT View Post
What a great looking 5513.
Thanks. It's on a tropic rubber strap in that pic. Here it is with the original bracelet and some lume showing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (252.5 KB, 437 views)
Old 12 August 2017, 08:12 PM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Love the strap Adam, looks like it's made to be on that watch
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 08:14 PM   #6
Ouro9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB16610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
We know the rule....the watch needs to be 'unrestored' to hold value. Things like replacement dials. Hands, relumes, polishing etc are frowned upon. 'Originality' is everything.
But there's another way to see this; 'original' could equally be used to describe a watch kept in top class condition, using accurate replacement parts freely. This way, the watch looks more like the designer and manufacturer intended when it came from the factory. It could be seen as more true than an ageing watch with damaged lume, scrstched paint and weary mechanism.
Which is really more 'true' to the original watch? Is it simply a matter of personal preference?
Personal preference for me! If it is in really bad shape and or dial and hands are also in a need to be replaced i would, Rolex polishing is so well done that i would not mind that as well.

Enviado de meu SM-G955F usando Tapatalk
Ouro9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 09:10 PM   #7
Roy Rolls
"TRF" Member

Looks great. It's what I would have done as well.
Roy Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 09:22 AM   #8
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Love the strap Adam, looks like it's made to be on that watch
Thanks Bas
In a way I guess it was, as it's a loose copy of the tropic straps that Rolex supplied with Subs in the 60s and 70s.
Old 13 August 2017, 09:24 AM   #9
rolexjim
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 41
That's very nice. Great job.
Old 13 August 2017, 10:05 AM   #10
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

The originality fetish is adored by those who are unsure of their knowledge. If it's 'original' it must be OK, right? Truth is, there are very few original 40-60 year old Rolex. Most of the perfect original Rolex you see were assembled from various perfect original parts. You see it every day, people running around looking for perfect hands, perfect inserts, perfect dials yet the watch YOU bought is original. :)

When you see a vintage Rolex it is exactly as it is at that moment. All that has happened to it is right there in front of you, there is not another like it in the world. If it pleases you buy it, if not don't. If you buy it and want to change things that is up to you but stop being a slave to some ideal that hasn't existed for that watch in 40-60 year. Respect it's journey.

One of the most beautiful Rolex I ever saw was on the arm of a fellow who wasn't a watch guy. We were trying to buy an oil lease and this old codger owned the mineral rights. We met in a bar and there it was, just a simple Date but so worn it was silver gray, it had a black dial and was on a loose jubilee that still caught the light. It was kind of an epiphany, no one cared about that watch, certainly not its owner, no one had ever cared about it but there it was, beautiful in it's worn perfection, doing what it was supposed to do for lord knows how many years. I've had a soft spot for simple perfect Rolex ever since. :)

1968 1603

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 11:45 AM   #11
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
The originality fetish is adored by those who are unsure of their knowledge. If it's 'original' it must be OK, right? Truth is, there are very few original 40-60 year old Rolex. Most of the perfect original Rolex you see were assembled from various perfect original parts. You see it every day, people running around looking for perfect hands, perfect inserts, perfect dials yet the watch YOU bought is original. :)

When you see a vintage Rolex it is exactly as it is at that moment. All that has happened to it is right there in front of you, there is not another like it in the world. If it pleases you buy it, if not don't. If you buy it and want to change things that is up to you but stop being a slave to some ideal that hasn't existed for that watch in 40-60 year. Respect it's journey.

One of the most beautiful Rolex I ever saw was on the arm of a fellow who wasn't a watch guy. We were trying to buy an oil lease and this old codger owned the mineral rights. We met in a bar and there it was, just a simple Date but so worn it was silver gray, it had a black dial and was on a loose jubilee that still caught the light. It was kind of an epiphany, no one cared about that watch, certainly not its owner, no one had ever cared about it but there it was, beautiful in it's worn perfection, doing what it was supposed to do for lord knows how many years. I've had a soft spot for simple perfect Rolex ever since. :)
Mine is my every day watch. I am not a rich man by any means, but I had wanted a Rolex for as long as I could remember. When the opportunity came, I purchased my one and only. It's 34 years old and shows her age a little, but she's mine and I wear the watch every day and rarely take it off.

august1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 12:25 PM   #12
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Very nice, your's is much nicer than the one that old man had. :) Wear it in health!
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 02:42 AM   #13
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Thanks Bas
In a way I guess it was, as it's a loose copy of the tropic straps that Rolex supplied with Subs in the 60s and 70s.
Is it a supple strap or is it stiff? I've never owned rubber straps aside from Seiko and this might be a nice one for my Seiko SKX013, just can't get used to the oem Seiko straps as they are thick, stiff and uncomfortable.

Old 14 August 2017, 09:18 AM   #14
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Is it a supple strap or is it stiff? I've never owned rubber straps aside from Seiko and this might be a nice one for my Seiko SKX013, just can't get used to the oem Seiko straps as they are thick, stiff and uncomfortable.

Supple! Especially the 20mm. Here's more info: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=548028
Old 14 August 2017, 09:55 AM   #15
MGWT
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Thanks. It's on a tropic rubber strap in that pic. Here it is with the original bracelet and some lume showing.
Perfect!
MGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 03:35 PM   #16
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Supple! Especially the 20mm. Here's more info: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=548028
Thanks Adam