The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 16 May 2006, 05:41 AM   #1
pbaz
"TRF" Member

bracelet problem

I just inherited my father's 16233 (he passed away in December). He bought the watch in 1995. Last year the jubilee bracelet broke (one of the pins came out of a side piece on the bracelet) and when he looked into getting it repaired, he was told it was impossible and that he'd have to get a new bracelet. As he couldn't afford it (it took him 69 years to afford that watch) he replaced it with one from a fake Rolex he bought during his tour in Vietnam. Today, I took it to my local Rolex person and was told the same thing (unrepairable). My dilemma is this: I want to keep the bracelet and watch together since they meant so much to him. Has anyone else there had this happen to a bracelet. My jeweler told me that in 23 years he had never seen one of the pins come out of its hole like that (there is no doubt about the watch's authenticity). Any suggestions?
Old 16 May 2006, 05:47 AM   #2
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
pbaz, could you take or get a good picture as to what pin you are talking about?
Old 16 May 2006, 06:04 AM   #3
pbaz
"TRF" Member

I gave it to the jeweler (and AD) who is sending it to someone else he knows in Philadelphia for a second opinion (at my request) so I can't send a picture. I can describe it, though.

Each link on the bracelet consists of two SS end pieces, two pins (most are fixed pairs, a few are screw/pin pairs) and three gold links, as you all no doubt know. It is the fixed pin in one of the screw/pin pairs that has come unseated from the side piece. Since the head of the screw floats freely in its hole and only secures one of the side pieces, the two side pieces have come apart and the pin can't be reseated, apparently.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen on a jubilee bracelet. It's an entirely sentimental thing for me. I'd just get a new bracelet for it but this one was the one he wore and treasured so I'd like to keep them together if possible. The fake bracelet means a lot, too, since it represents his hope (in 1968) of one day getting a real Rolex. He had his initials inscribed on the clasp of the fake and wore it for many years (the gold plating has worn off much of it). BTW, I should just add that despite some comments on this forum about the pointlessness of fakes, in this case it served to remind him of some of the things he was working for his whole life. You folks seem, on the whole, to be a very wealthy bunch so I thought I'd throw this reminder your way.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who can help out.

PB
Old 16 May 2006, 06:44 AM   #4
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaz
BTW, I should just add that despite some comments on this forum about the pointlessness of fakes, in this case it served to remind him of some of the things he was working for his whole life. You folks seem, on the whole, to be a very wealthy bunch so I thought I'd throw this reminder your way.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who can help out.

PB
Other than suggesting that links can be replaced or the possibility in the last part of this post I can't help you. But I would like to comment on your last remark. I think some of the members have an higher than average income, true. But, if you read carefully, most have not. Cops, mailmen, etc. don’t earn millions. It took me years and years to be able to buy a Sub. The reason that fakes are disliked are because people get duped by them, they’re just a lie and give the brand the wrong image. In my case it is not snobbery to dislike fakes. Your just deceiving yourself with a fake and that is the worst thing one can do.

There’s also the possibility to find an aftermarket bracelet and swap the clasp with the one from the original. Not a fake, they’re not sold as a real Rolex item, but of good quality.
Old 16 May 2006, 08:08 AM   #5
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Sorry I went back and realized which pin you were talking about... ok here's what you do.. easy fix really, take it down to your local auto body shop and ask them if they would weld a small piece of SS for youl.

Now this may produce a nasty black blue metal stain on your watch band but, hey!

Seriously, from what you have said I'm leaning to the buy new or slightly used TT jubilee 19mm? band.
Old 16 May 2006, 08:13 AM   #6
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
pbaz,
If you are in Philly, I may be able to help you. I purchased my Rolex from Jack Kellmer Jewelers and they are an AD with stores in Philly, Cherry Hill, NJ and in Haverford, PA. Additionally, one of my patients works in the watch department in one of Kellmer's stores and is very honest and knows a lot about the product. And if he doesn't know the answer, he has a lot of resources to get the answer, including several watchmakers in Philadelphia as well as the Rolex rep, the Rolex service department or whoever will give a definitive answer. So if you need help, let me know since I do have a reliable source that works for an AD in the area.
Old 16 May 2006, 08:13 AM   #7
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
...take it down to your local auto body shop and ask them if they would weld a small piece of SS for youl.
Now this may produce a nasty black blue metal stain on your watch band but, hey! ...
LOL

Don't you provide that service for users in distress, Earl?
Old 16 May 2006, 10:14 AM   #8
pbaz
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I'll be able to solve the problem with your suggestions, most of which I hadn't thought of. If the jeweler in Philly that will be looking at it can't fix it, I'll pick one and try it. They all seem reasonable to me, especially the arc-welding one. I may just weld the whole bracelet together so that no more pieces come loose. I should probably be wearing the watch at the time so they get the curve right.

Sorry if I sounded "classist" in my last post. I had been reading a lot of threads today trying to find mention of the problem I had. I came across a lot (dozens) of comments of the indignant "why disgrace yourself by knowingly wearing a fake when you should own a real one" variety. I totally understand the sentiments about the fraud aspect of replicas. I guess that's the price you pay for the universal appeal of the Rolex image and, of course, the understandable desire of people to own one (or the less understandable desire to make people think you do). These timepieces are truly wonderful achievements and I will wear mine for as long as I can keep it running.

I'm still curious if anybody has ever had this pin problem or heard of it.

Now I've got to find some asbestos to wrap around my wrist.

Thanks again.
Old 16 May 2006, 10:20 AM   #9
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...They all seem reasonable to me, especially the arc-welding one. I may just weld the whole bracelet together so that no more pieces come loose. I should probably be wearing the watch at the time so they get the curve right...
LMAO - you have a great sense of humor, pbaz!!!
Old 16 May 2006, 10:41 AM   #10
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt

Last edited by C.J.; 25 May 2006 at 05:49 AM..
Old 16 May 2006, 05:29 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Welcome to TRF, pbaz. Try an independent watch maker. I'm sure he'll fix your bracelet. The Rolex AD is probably only trying to force you into buying a new one by telling you that the bracelet is not repairable.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 17 May 2006, 12:03 AM   #12
pbaz
"TRF" Member

That's my impression, too, that a sale was the top priority. Our local guy (the Rolex AD in State College, PA) didn't impress me much. He was snooty and impatient, spoke poorly, implied that the watch might be fake without looking at it (or the documentation for it) and basically made it clear that he didn't want to be bothered. I think it might have been because of my appearance. I have long hair and a beard and walked in dressed in jeans, baseball cap a t-shirt and an old sweater. I didn't think about it until I got home. I'm used to paying attention to how people speak and not how they dress, and I don't spend much time at jewelers. It's not an economic issue (I'm an associate professor at Penn State University and own musical instruments far more expensive than my watch) but more a cultural one. That's how it goes, but his caustic defensiveness when I questioned his determination about the impossibility of repair convinced me to avoid that establishment in the future.

I've decided that when I get the bracelet back, I'll find a custom jeweler who can make the repair for me. I'm still interested if anyone out there has had this pin problem, though.

Thanks.

PB
Old 17 May 2006, 04:43 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
That's my impression, too, that a sale was the top priority. Our local guy (the Rolex AD in State College, PA) didn't impress me much. He was snooty and impatient, spoke poorly, implied that the watch might be fake without looking at it (or the documentation for it) and basically made it clear that he didn't want to be bothered. I think it might have been because of my appearance. I have long hair and a beard and walked in dressed in jeans, baseball cap a t-shirt and an old sweater. I didn't think about it until I got home. I'm used to paying attention to how people speak and not how they dress, and I don't spend much time at jewelers. It's not an economic issue (I'm an associate professor at Penn State University and own musical instruments far more expensive than my watch) but more a cultural one. That's how it goes, but his caustic defensiveness when I questioned his determination about the impossibility of repair convinced me to avoid that establishment in the future.

I've decided that when I get the bracelet back, I'll find a custom jeweler who can make the repair for me. I'm still interested if anyone out there has had this pin problem, though.

Thanks.

PB
Dunno about the "pin problem", but some of us are nuts and we do need a few new screws!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 17 May 2006, 05:39 AM   #14
Islander

Quote:

Thanks.

PB
It sounds like you are coming up with a solution and have hit the nail on the head about the original problem at the AD. Some of them are less than helpful: (and many others are exactly the opposite, luckily )

It sounds as though a helpful independant watchmaker and a few (or even one?) after-market part(s) are all that are needed here. Rolexs are constructed to be repaired and there's little that will defeat a capable and helpful watchmaker. Unfortunately this little Island and our resident Rolex guru is too far away to help at this range (unless you fancy a really good holiday LOL!) but you are already being offered well informed help above. Very best of luck, I'm sure it will work out.
Old 17 May 2006, 05:42 AM   #15
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Dunno about the "pin problem", but some of us are nuts and we do need a few new screws!!
Ain't that the truth!
Old 17 May 2006, 09:03 AM   #16
pbaz
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all. I'll post a pic when I get the piece put back together.
Closed Thread