The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 October 2017, 11:36 PM   #31
Corsair66
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Use marks are a sign of a watch being worn and loved - I've never understood why anyone would wish to remove them. Things aren't meant to be preserved forever and once a piece has been touched by ungloved hands outside the factory, it'll never be mint again, anyway, so what's the point?
Corsair66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 11:59 PM   #32
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

What I think is the issue for those who wish to keep their watches in good looking order is to simply retain a better resale value.

Its simple economics, if you have 2 of the same watch, purchased at the same time and one gets normal daily use and gets scratched, dinged, and dented etc, and another is well taken care of and has minimal surface wear, which is going to command a higher price?

If your in the camp of "I bought this watch and im going to keep it forever" well then the scratches have sentimental value to you. If you know later on you may sell it, it would be wise to have said watch in better condition for resale.
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 12:19 AM   #33
Corsair66
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
What I think is the issue for those who wish to keep their watches in good looking order is to simply retain a better resale value.

Its simple economics, if you have 2 of the same watch, purchased at the same time and one gets normal daily use and gets scratched, dinged, and dented etc, and another is well taken care of and has minimal surface wear, which is going to command a higher price?

If your in the camp of "I bought this watch and im going to keep it forever" well then the scratches have sentimental value to you. If you know later on you may sell it, it would be wise to have said watch in better condition for resale.
OK, I suppose I can understand that motivation in the event that someone buys a piece with the intent of selling it. That said, were I to consider a purchasing a used watch, I'd rather see it in original condition and decide on the nature and extent of any restoration myself, just as with cars, motorcycles, airplanes, etc.

My experiences on the sales side of the equation support that observation, though perhaps the watch market is different. I've never bought a used watch, but I'll definitely want to make those condition choices myself should I ever do so.
Corsair66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 12:27 AM   #34
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
OK, look. It's just not worth the mental anguish. If you can't enjoy PCL's when they get scratches on them, then maybe you need to switch to a non-PCL bracelet.
They most definitely won't enjoy a gold or platinum piece as these all have PCL's. And they mark up just by looking at them, lol.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 03:18 AM   #35
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair66 View Post
Use marks are a sign of a watch being worn and loved - I've never understood why anyone would wish to remove them. Things aren't meant to be preserved forever and once a piece has been touched by ungloved hands outside the factory, it'll never be mint again, anyway, so what's the point?
Same way people like to remove scratches from cars probably.
Old 4 October 2017, 03:19 AM   #36
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh View Post
Did you tape up the brushed parts of the bracelet? and did you really have to use a lot of pressure when cleaning it?
Didnt bother as this was a light polish and not trying to remove deep scratches.

Not at all, very light pressure in circular motions.
Old 4 October 2017, 04:08 AM   #37
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

PCLs are only 10 days old, so that's why they're shiny. Give me a couple months and it'll change :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 04:47 AM   #38
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I'm not one to sell the watch. It's my first rolex so it will have immense sentimental value to me. I'll still use the PCL bracelet every now and then when I'm on holiday. For work it'll be RubberB for sure. Thanks for the advice all. Cheers!
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 05:44 AM   #39
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
My PCL watch is for dressier times; wear a watch without for knocking around in. Still the clasp does show wear. This after six weeks of continual wear.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 05:59 AM   #40
904L SS
"TRF" Member

I used cape cod for the first time last weekend. After heavy use of my BLNR for 3 years the bracelet was looking a bit scratched. I really took my time, probably a couple of hrs in between a couple of beers! I was really pleased and the case and centre links come up great. I was very careful not to touch the brushed steel. I didnt want to change the appearance of my watch and I didnt, just gently polished out those micro scratches with a great result. Cape cod all the way for me

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
904L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 06:09 AM   #41
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

IMO if you care about scratches on PCL, just have a bit more wrist awareness and minimalize banging it/rubbing it on hard surfaces. It's not that difficult. Otherwise, plenty of guys I know that wear PCL as a daily bang and rub it all day long (I personally try to have more wrist awareness) and develop scratches quickly. But it doesn't deter from the watch IMO, just a different look and adds great character. I wouldn't entertain a polish on any watch now unless there was significant uneven scratching from sudden accidents like falling out of a car.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 06:19 AM   #42
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Also a bit of clear tape on certain areas helps protect a lot and looks 99% invisible