The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2017, 11:23 AM   #1
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Is this 18038 DD's dial legit?

Hey guys,
I found a good deal on a 18038 that I'm considering buying even though I already have a 118238. The seller sent me a couple of pictures and the bracelet is in good condition for being an old watch. My only is concern is the dial. I don't think factory diamond dials came with the Roman numeral track, but with lume plots instead. From what I've seen the Roman numeral track belongs to stick dials. I've looked at so many watches that I tend to notice when something is off but I know some of you can tell right away.

What do you think? Worth it or pass?

https://ibb.co/jvBgEb
Old 13 December 2017, 12:23 PM   #2
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Rule #1, buy the seller. If in doubt I’d pass. The 118238 is far superior to the 18038
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 06:12 PM   #3
MonBK
Banned

Settings are time correct.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 08:50 PM   #4
farscott
"TRF" Member

Looks like dial 13/18038-S311 from the thread on 18238 dials. As such, it appears to be correct.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=387926
farscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

I believe it to be a repaint, the font is off but the main tell is the thickness of the paint on the lower edge of the Day window. It's rounded and thick compared to this dial.

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 01:17 AM   #6
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
It looks legit, but The DD diamond dial is probably the most faked,altered, molested Rolex dial of them all. Go off the rep of the seller if there is no verification. FYI, someone mentioned the new DD being far superior. It is upgraded and the bracelet is, but the 18038 is a classic and a big bang for your buck for a Rolex Flagship
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 04:25 AM   #7
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of your replies. I've spoken to the seller and he sent me all the photos I requested but have decided to pass. Thanks a lot farscott for linking me to that thread. I was nearly convinced diamond dials of the era only came with lume plots and not a roman track but I was wrong. These AD catalogues are truly a great reference.

Tangier11, I have an M serial 118238. It has the newer bracelet with updated clasp like all Rolex in production right now. I know the 228238 has ceramic inserts and is improved from mine but I prefer the 36mm size and wouldn't sell mine to buy the 40. I just like DDs and felt that a 18038 with a tight bracelet for $6k was worth considering but having two nearly identical watches would be stupid regardless of the price. I am always suspicious of things that are priced way below the market price so that's why I wanted an opinion from you guys. The seller is on the west coast and I wouldn't buy a vintage watch without inspecting it in my hand first.

I just need to be patient. I have a strong craving for a 3rd watch. I have decided to wait for a 116500 from the AD so a Daytona is out of the question for a few years. I even considered going for a white or black 15400st but even those have spiked in price along with most SS pieces. That's why I was looking at gold. I think maybe a blue 16618 would be a good addition. The ceramic version has a superior bracelet but the 16618 has the classic Sub design which I really love. Thanks again guys!
Old 15 December 2017, 04:31 AM   #8
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
It looks legit, but The DD diamond dial is probably the most faked,altered, molested Rolex dial of them all. Go off the rep of the seller if there is no verification. FYI, someone mentioned the new DD being far superior. It is upgraded and the bracelet is, but the 18038 is a classic and a big bang for your buck for a Rolex Flagship
Yeah, I know this. Whenever I see stones on older DDs or DJs, I immediately think they're aftermarket unless they're on recent watches from the last decade. Living in NYC, I've been to all the shops on 47th street who have tons of DJ and DD dials either original or refinished. Unless there are papers with the watch you have to assume stones are not factory. The setting usually gives it away. In this case the stones are set well. I've seen TT DJs with the 8+2 layout which is only available on DDs and with crooked baguettes!
Old 15 December 2017, 07:25 AM   #9
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
Yeah, I know this. Whenever I see stones on older DDs or DJs, I immediately think they're aftermarket unless they're on recent watches from the last decade. Living in NYC, I've been to all the shops on 47th street who have tons of DJ and DD dials either original or refinished. Unless there are papers with the watch you have to assume stones are not factory. The setting usually gives it away. In this case the stones are set well. I've seen TT DJs with the 8+2 layout which is only available on DDs and with crooked baguettes!

Yeah I understand what you mean. I have an older DD with a factory 8+2 factory dial and I had to weed through hundreds of bastardized DDs to find this one.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:33 AM   #10
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Dial is refinished with original diamond setting retained

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 December 2017, 07:42 AM   #11
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
Yeah I understand what you mean. I have an older DD with a factory 8+2 factory dial and I had to weed through hundreds of bastardized DDs to find this one.
It's a pity that this is the case. It's already tough enough finding ones with bracelets in good shape. Jewelers seem to always add stones to make a profit especially the older they are.
Old 15 December 2017, 07:45 AM   #12
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
Dial is refinished with original diamond setting retained

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. This is what I thought also. I looked very closely and it just didn't seem right. Thanks.
Old 15 December 2017, 07:50 AM   #13
farscott
"TRF" Member

Interesting thread. I learned a few things, including that I really need to buy in person unless I know the seller. Photographs can and do lie.
farscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:53 AM   #14
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
6k is very low. Bobs would give you more than that in a day.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote