The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 January 2018, 09:05 PM   #31
yonsson
"TRF" Member

Being an owner of the SBGH257 I find this thread interesting.
The only Rolex diver’s watch I have owned is the 116600 but I have also had plenty of time with the 14060 and the SubC so I think I can actually pitch in when it comes to experiences regarding the new GS diver.

As some of you don’t seem to know, the GS diver is the first ever mechanical GS diver’s watch and a direct descendant of the hi-beat (36000vph) 6159-7000/7001 released 1968. The 6159 was without a doubt one of the most high tech watches of its time.

When it comes to the GS hi-beat diver sbgh255/257 one should consider that it’s a helium safe professional divers watch with a WR of 600m and was never intended to be a desk divers watch like the SubC. It should instead be compared to the DSSD which was made with the same purpose in mind (deap sea diving). While Rolex went the helium escape valve route, SEIKO made a case impervious to helium instead, thereby eliminating the need for a he-valve.

Rolex beats GS when it comes to the movement and the reason is SEIKOs philosophy regarding hairsprings. SEIKO believes that silicon is fragile which results in SEIKO using an alloy hairspring, this also means that Seiko magnetically shields their watches the old fashioned way.

While there is no denying Rolex superiority regarding movement, there is also no disputing the superior finishing of GS. When it comes to case finish and especially dials and hands, there are few that equal GS, Rolex certainly does not. If you dispute this, then you need to find a microscope and compare them.

There are of course shortcomings as well. Let’s just say you don’t buy a GS for the clasp or rubber, here Rolex wins easily.

So basically, when judging the GS diver, compare it to the DSSD, not the Sub and be open minded. If anyone would like to read more about the GS, then my review of it is a good start. I have also reviewed the 116600 so my comparisons are not without merit.
There is of course no “truth” to be found here, opinions may vary. The high end finish of GS however can not be denied.

A little sad to read that the OP got banned, differences in opinions is what makes a forum interesting. Sadly my low post count won’t allow me to put up pics to validate my point.
yonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 01:53 PM   #32
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
Being an owner of the SBGH257 I find this thread interesting.
The only Rolex diver’s watch I have owned is the 116600 but I have also had plenty of time with the 14060 and the SubC so I think I can actually pitch in when it comes to experiences regarding the new GS diver.

As some of you don’t seem to know, the GS diver is the first ever mechanical GS diver’s watch and a direct descendant of the hi-beat (36000vph) 6159-7000/7001 released 1968. The 6159 was without a doubt one of the most high tech watches of its time.

When it comes to the GS hi-beat diver sbgh255/257 one should consider that it’s a helium safe professional divers watch with a WR of 600m and was never intended to be a desk divers watch like the SubC. It should instead be compared to the DSSD which was made with the same purpose in mind (deap sea diving). While Rolex went the helium escape valve route, SEIKO made a case impervious to helium instead, thereby eliminating the need for a he-valve.

Rolex beats GS when it comes to the movement and the reason is SEIKOs philosophy regarding hairsprings. SEIKO believes that silicon is fragile which results in SEIKO using an alloy hairspring, this also means that Seiko magnetically shields their watches the old fashioned way.

While there is no denying Rolex superiority regarding movement, there is also no disputing the superior finishing of GS. When it comes to case finish and especially dials and hands, there are few that equal GS, Rolex certainly does not. If you dispute this, then you need to find a microscope and compare them.

There are of course shortcomings as well. Let’s just say you don’t buy a GS for the clasp or rubber, here Rolex wins easily.

So basically, when judging the GS diver, compare it to the DSSD, not the Sub and be open minded. If anyone would like to read more about the GS, then my review of it is a good start. I have also reviewed the 116600 so my comparisons are not without merit.
There is of course no “truth” to be found here, opinions may vary. The high end finish of GS however can not be denied.

A little sad to read that the OP got banned, differences in opinions is what makes a forum interesting. Sadly my low post count won’t allow me to put up pics to validate my point.
Seiko fan here. Good post, thanks. The OP was banned for something unrelated to this thread, not for any differences of opinion.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2018, 03:23 PM   #33
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Speaking of which does GS present at Basel or SIHH?

Of course I could google but where’s the fun in that haha
Old 15 January 2018, 11:28 PM   #34
yonsson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Speaking of which does GS present at Basel or SIHH?

Of course I could google but where’s the fun in that haha
Baselworld where they have one both for SEIKO and one for Grand SEIKO.
yonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 11:39 PM   #35
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
1) not for me, but if he's happy, mazel tov
2) yes, 14k is a bit much
3) what's up with these mash up watches lately? this one has a blancpain bezel, speedy bracelet, AP dial, rolex indices..all with a very Seiko feel
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:24 PM   #36
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I love GS and there's no disputing the quality, but this iteration of a diver just isn't attractive to my eyes.
$9-$10K of mine would go on a gently pre owned ceramic Bathyscaphe Chrono before this...
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 04:32 PM   #37
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Love GS but not this model. The model does not stand for anything in particular and the design seems to be cobbled up together. I'd take GS in steel as a daily beater over any Rolex Datejust model, but the diver just does not cut it...
Old 16 January 2018, 04:45 PM   #38
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
I’ll stick with SD4K that I got at
msrp $10,400... USD...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5A780586-16F1-4723-B5B9-0160649F225F.jpeg (270.8 KB, 53 views)
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:37 PM   #39
Borsika
Banned

Lot of bullshit about an overpriced watch. It is just an other Rolex copy, nothing else. One must be stupid to buy it for 14k!
Borsika is offline   Reply With Quote