The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2018, 01:03 AM   #1
marlopez
"TRF" Member

Tips and tricks when when diamond shopping

My bachelor life is coming to an end and I’m beginning to shop for an engagement ring. I decided to go the route of buying the diamond separate from the setting. I’ve done my research and know where I’m going regarding the 4C’s and have a budget. What advice do you have when dealing with the diamond dealers and what advice can you give to make sure I walk out with the best deal?

I plan to visit all the references my friends have given me to talk to their “guy” and I plan to go to the diamond district next week to do some window shopping.
marlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 01:37 AM   #2
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Have you checked out Blue Nile? I have a couple “guys” but always use it to keep them honest.

There are a couple diamond experts on here I believe. They will be along before too long to give you specifics I am sure.

Congrats in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 03:17 AM   #3
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
look at proportions and finish and make sure that they are all excellent!

Below (rightly) explains why "Cut" is the most important property:
http://myjewelerrocks.com/4cees/
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 06:34 AM   #4
mastermixer
"TRF" Member

I'm in LA and I have helped out a few members here with engagement rings and other jewelry.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to come by to my office.
Old 18 January 2018, 06:39 AM   #5
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
feel free to pm
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 06:44 AM   #6
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I have a family friend who used to own and operate a jewelry store. He brought me to his wholesale guy in NYC diamond district. We brought a the most current copy of some magazine or paper, can’t remember the name, it had the wholesale values in it. Was kind of like a Kelly blue book for diamonds.
We went to his guy. GiA only. Looked at a bunch of options and put down the cash.
That was for the bigger middle diamond only. Pieces the smaller sides later and the setting at a different jeweler. I think he was on route 4 if I remember correctly.
This was like 7 years ago so memory is vague.
Good luck!
Old 18 January 2018, 07:01 AM   #7
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX

Go to RTA Jewels for the best prices and selection http://www.rtajewels.com/rtaj/ Your Best Bet! IMHO

They can custom make just about anything. I bought the diamond, presented to my Wife when we got engaged and let her pick out/design what she wanted.

Ruben is a very trustworthy man and will take care of you.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 07:18 AM   #8
artschool
"TRF" Member

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...iamond/304575/

interesting article on diamonds
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 08:10 AM   #9
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
get the paperwork.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 08:33 AM   #10
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
GIA all the way... The deal will look better with paperwork from EGL, but I'd avoid.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 01:58 PM   #11
josephvman
Banned

Diamonds are forever. If you ever need proof just try to sell one!
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 02:44 PM   #12
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I know there's a lot of info about diamonds and a lot of skepticism too.

I've worked with my dad in his retail store as well as another store where I've moved in North Georgia. I'm strictly wholesale watch repair now, so I don't mess with jewelry on a daily basis anymore. But, if I was going to by a diamond, I'd be calling up a few of my friends that own pawn shops. I know what I'm looking at, so I have no issue with it. But, if you've got an eye for diamonds, you might want to check them out. The retail, online, and even dealer prices are insane compared to what I see from my friends in the pawn business. I have plenty of connections in the jewelry business as well, and I don't even consider the dealers or stores because I know the prices will be ridiculous.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 02:53 PM   #13
marlopez
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the tips everyone and I’ve sent some PMs out to some of you. I like the tip on the wholesale prices and also trying the pawn shops. Do you guys have input as far as what type of retailer is best? Like trust a nice storefront and standalone brick and mortar vs a vendor who rents space in a larger jewelry mart? I feel it’s easy to go to Tiffany’s where you don’t have to deal with haggling and risking fake. However I know you pay the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 January 2018, 02:55 PM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
GIA all the way... The deal will look better with paperwork from EGL, but I'd avoid.
Like the plague!

Buying a diamond is like buying a car. I wouldn’t set foot in the showroom unless necessary.

I’d look at James Allen, Ritani or blue Nile. My wife spent the better part of 6 months picking her stone and dealt with Ritani. You can talk to a gemologist over the phone and they will pull several stones you have already selected to give you tips if need be.

Do some research as it’s more in depth than just the 4cs. Once you choose Ritani will send the stone to a local affiliate and you can assess it in person.

TL;DR my wife had a budget and ended up with a significantly better and larger GIA stone buying online than any of the brick and mortars. And we didn’t have to haggle.
Old 18 January 2018, 03:03 PM   #15
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlopez View Post
I appreciate the tips everyone and I’ve sent some PMs out to some of you. I like the tip on the wholesale prices and also trying the pawn shops. Do you guys have input as far as what type of retailer is best? Like trust a nice storefront and standalone brick and mortar vs a vendor who rents space in a larger jewelry mart? I feel it’s easy to go to Tiffany’s where you don’t have to deal with haggling and risking fake. However I know you pay the price.

Look for independent stores where the owner is on site. Chamber of commerce memberships, involvement in the community, etc. You know he's got a reputation to uphold and probably won't give you the runaround.
Old 18 January 2018, 05:55 PM   #16
marlopez
"TRF" Member

I’ve heard a lot about Blue Nile. Other than not being able to touch and feel it, are there other things that make it better to buy in person?

Let’s say all characteristics of the diamond being equal, are in person dealers more negotiable?

Old 19 January 2018, 12:18 AM   #17
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
I’ve heard a lot about Blue Nile. Other than not being able to touch and feel it, are there other things that make it better to buy in person?

Let’s say all characteristics of the diamond being equal, are in person dealers more negotiable?

For one, you don't know what the diamond looks like. You're basically buying a piece of paper on Blue Nile. In person is always going to be better for negotiating. Plus, a local store is probably willing to earn your business by offering mounting, stone loss warranty, maintenance, etc.
Old 19 January 2018, 12:44 AM   #18
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
For one, you don't know what the diamond looks like. You're basically buying a piece of paper on Blue Nile. In person is always going to be better for negotiating. Plus, a local store is probably willing to earn your business by offering mounting, stone loss warranty, maintenance, etc.

If you buy something from blue Nile and don't like it you can return it. You can't negotiate but prices are generally better than a brick and mortar store anyway. I world compare to James Allen as well.

OP: When I went to my local jeweler she brought out a few diamond rings of different prices and grades, and I held them in my hands and looked at them under a loupe, but tbh all I could see the difference in was size. They were all sparkly. Some had visible "scuffs" under the loupe but not with the naked eye and I doubt my fiance nor her friends/family that she was potentially going to show the ring to would inspect the rock with a loupe...

If you know the specs of the 4Cs you're after, and you've had no prior experience with diamond like me, then you should be looking online to avoid going crazy. I also generally don't like the upsell talk most salespeople try on.
Old 19 January 2018, 12:53 AM   #19
imperio
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's like buying a Rolex from the AD versus buying online from DavidSW. You get the same product at a better price online.
Old 19 January 2018, 12:55 AM   #20
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
PM sent - hope it helps!

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 01:23 AM   #21
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
If you buy something from blue Nile and don't like it you can return it. You can't negotiate but prices are generally better than a brick and mortar store anyway. I world compare to James Allen as well.

OP: When I went to my local jeweler she brought out a few diamond rings of different prices and grades, and I held them in my hands and looked at them under a loupe, but tbh all I could see the difference in was size. They were all sparkly. Some had visible "scuffs" under the loupe but not with the naked eye and I doubt my fiance nor her friends/family that she was potentially going to show the ring to would inspect the rock with a loupe...

If you know the specs of the 4Cs you're after, and you've had no prior experience with diamond like me, then you should be looking online to avoid going crazy. I also generally don't like the upsell talk most salespeople try on.

You say the 4C's matter, but then when you looked at rings you couldn't tell the difference and they "all looked sparkly"
Old 19 January 2018, 01:38 AM   #22
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I went with Union Diamond out of Georgia and did online purchasing entirely. They have a physical store, a great selection, and excellent customer service. Pricing was in line with Blue Nile at the time, but that was over 10 years ago. Another data point to use.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 07:16 AM   #23
imperio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
You say the 4C's matter, but then when you looked at rings you couldn't tell the difference and they "all looked sparkly"

What/when/where?
Old 19 January 2018, 08:36 AM   #24
rfatm3f
"TRF" Member

Just an FYI.. Blue Nile does not hold any inventory. A jeweler should be able to get you the same stone from the supplier (use the Gia #).

If you have a good relationship they can probably even beat Blue niles price.
rfatm3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 01:57 PM   #25
Magwitch
Banned

I bought an EightStar diamond 15 years ago for our 25th anniversary. I don't think they make them anymore, but it's a very perfect cut. Go for the cut, don't worry too much about the color. Cut will make even a "worse" color look great. My EightStar is a J. A little warmer than D-F but beautiful.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 01:50 PM   #26
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 - 14060M
I would join & start a thread on Pricescope.com. State budget, size, preferred color & any thing else your significant other WOULD WANT. Remember, this IS her ring. Buy her the one of her dreams. There you will find the most savy diamond shoppers on the planet. ;-) They will help.

Eightstar, while a great product, is WAY overpriced. If you never want to upgrade the stone, places like Blue Nile & James Allen are good options. They require double the value of the stone you are trading up to. If you think, one day, at the 10th anniversary or something, then go with Whiteflash.com which, in my opinion has the best trade up policy in the business. You pay $1 more & can go up in size or up in color (in case you can only afford a lower color right now) but basically, they have a great trade up. High Performance diamonds. com with Wink. His stones are Crafted By Eternity. A bit higher priced but he too has a liberal upgrade policy. GO with Brian Gavin diamonds. He has some varying degrees of a trade up policy but not double the value. Bottom line, if you are spending a low amount, try James Allen & Blue Nile but if one day you might want to trade up the stone, go with Whiteflash, Brian Gavin Diamonds or High Performance Diamonds.

Good luck. If you want to PM me, go ahead. I'll answer your questions. :-D
vitalsignsrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 02:14 PM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsignsrn View Post
I would join & start a thread on Pricescope.com. State budget, size, preferred color & any thing else your significant other WOULD WANT. Remember, this IS her ring. Buy her the one of her dreams. There you will find the most savy diamond shoppers on the planet. ;-) They will help.

Eightstar, while a great product, is WAY overpriced. If you never want to upgrade the stone, places like Blue Nile & James Allen are good options. They require double the value of the stone you are trading up to. If you think, one day, at the 10th anniversary or something, then go with Whiteflash.com which, in my opinion has the best trade up policy in the business. You pay $1 more & can go up in size or up in color (in case you can only afford a lower color right now) but basically, they have a great trade up. High Performance diamonds. com with Wink. His stones are Crafted By Eternity. A bit higher priced but he too has a liberal upgrade policy. GO with Brian Gavin diamonds. He has some varying degrees of a trade up policy but not double the value. Bottom line, if you are spending a low amount, try James Allen & Blue Nile but if one day you might want to trade up the stone, go with Whiteflash, Brian Gavin Diamonds or High Performance Diamonds.

Good luck. If you want to PM me, go ahead. I'll answer your questions. :-D
Was hoping you’d chime in Judy. Good to see you posting and fighting the good fight enabling others

Old 20 January 2018, 02:15 PM   #28
Magwitch
Banned

Yes the 8* was costly but don't we pay a bit more for exclusivity? They didn't make many and I don't think they make any more. Besides, it enabled me to get this tattoo:

Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 10:47 PM   #29
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This isn’t the actual cert for her stone but it’s the “quick spec” I guess just as a reference. Jewlers how did I do and what should the OP expect to pay for this as a reference point? I purchased over 1.5 years ago.

Old 20 January 2018, 10:56 PM   #30
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
It's 3 months salary BEFORE taxes, etc., not after ????

I went a place that allows you to trade up, using the value you paid at the time of purchase.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote