The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2017, 09:21 AM   #1
Tim010
"TRF" Member

AD in Yorkshire, UK

First time poster here who is possibly going to be buying a new Rolex in the Spring time when I visit my parents in Yorkshire. I currently live in Edmonton, AB, Canada and have seen the closest dealers to my parents are in York (Fraser Hart) and Harrogate (A Fattorini). Any recommendations on either dealer would be appreciated or other local ones to North Yorkshire.

I did e-mail both AD's and they confirmed they can sort out the VAT refunds in the store as I live out of the country. Do they knock off the price when I pay in the store or do I have to claim the money back when I leave the UK at the Airport?

I am interested in the new Air King but from e-mailing both dealers they are in high demand over there so not sure if they will have anything when I visit. I also like the Submariner date that hopefully would be easier to find. Does anyone know the RRP of the new Air King and Submariner Date in the UK?

Thanks in advance

Tim
Tim010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2017, 10:06 AM   #2
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
As you've got the VAT and I presume the currency advantage too you could do very well here so I would not limit yourself to N. Yorks, unless you can pay a deposit now and they guarantee to get one in for you before you arrive. Otherwise be ready to go wherever there is one, it'll be worth it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2017, 10:32 AM   #3
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
AD in Yorkshire, UK

I cannot recommend highly enough the guys at the Rolex boutique in Leeds, West Yorkshire, called Prestons's.

They are very professional and know the product they sell inside out, always happy to let you try things on and there is never any sales pressure.

I will always go there and they really are the best I have dealt with, so glad they are on my doorstep.

They make buying a new Rolex the pleasure it should be.

I am sure if you want a particular model (not DayC though) they will get it in as they also have other branches. Give them a go and don't confuse them with Goldsmiths across the road.

I have no association apart from being a repeat customer and as I said cannot speak highly enough of Andy or John who work there.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Just email your questions and the guys will answer them for sure, being a boutique I also think they get a slight preference in stock so they may have what you want but that is only my impression.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Tim010
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
I cannot recommend highly enough the guys at the Rolex boutique in Leeds, West Yorkshire, called Prestons's.

They are very professional and know the product they sell inside out, always happy to let you try things on and there is never any sales pressure.

I will always go there and they really are the best I have dealt with, so glad they are on my doorstep.

They make buying a new Rolex the pleasure it should be.

I am sure if you want a particular model (not DayC though) they will get it in as they also have other branches. Give them a go and don't confuse them with Goldsmiths across the road.

I have no association apart from being a repeat customer and as I said cannot speak highly enough of Andy or John who work there.
Thanks for the recommendation, not much difference going to Leeds from where I will be based so will definitely get in touch with them closer to the time of my visit.
Tim010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 02:21 AM   #6
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Hello, I have the new AK and it's a superb watch. UK price is £4,550.
Good luck
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 02:26 AM   #7
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
As Robbyman has said Prestons in Leeds are fantastic.

Also, Lister Horsfall in Ilkley (and Halifax but probably a bit out of the way) are excellent.

I would highly recommend either.
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 03:03 AM   #8
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC12 View Post
As Robbyman has said Prestons in Leeds are fantastic.

Also, Lister Horsfall in Ilkley (and Halifax but probably a bit out of the way) are excellent.

I would highly recommend either.
Beat me to it!...was going to suggest Lister Horsfall as well...never bought a Rolex of them, but bought other Jewellery from them at the Halifax branch and the staff are excellent, very knowledgeable and friendly.

Cant recommend them enough.
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 03:12 AM   #9
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim010 View Post
First time poster here who is possibly going to be buying a new Rolex in the Spring time when I visit my parents in Yorkshire. I currently live in Edmonton, AB, Canada and have seen the closest dealers to my parents are in York (Fraser Hart) and Harrogate (A Fattorini). Any recommendations on either dealer would be appreciated or other local ones to North Yorkshire.

I did e-mail both AD's and they confirmed they can sort out the VAT refunds in the store as I live out of the country. Do they knock off the price when I pay in the store or do I have to claim the money back when I leave the UK at the Airport?

I am interested in the new Air King but from e-mailing both dealers they are in high demand over there so not sure if they will have anything when I visit. I also like the Submariner date that hopefully would be easier to find. Does anyone know the RRP of the new Air King and Submariner Date in the UK?

Thanks in advance

Tim
I'm afraid the Submariner date you want wont be as easy to source as you may have been led to believe.

Along with the GMT BLNR & SS Daytona C its one of the 3 most in demand watches in the UK at the moment.

List price for 116610LN is £6,250 GBP but good luck finding one...

Link to Rolex UK website https://www.rolex.com/ all the prices are referenced under each watch

Last edited by Punchthefatkid; 13 January 2017 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 13 January 2017, 04:48 AM   #10
Kevan
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one on my arm.
You will have to pay full price inclusive of VAT. Take your passport and they will provide a receipt and form to claim back the VAT. However, this is claimed via a company at the airport who take quite a hefty commission. It works out about 13% that you receive.

My understanding of the process, my daughter followed this purchasing her DJ at Christmas.
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 04:57 AM   #11
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post
I'm afraid the Submariner date you want wont be as easy to source as you may have been led to believe.

Along with the GMT BLNR & SS Daytona C its one of the 3 most in demand watches in the UK at the moment.

List price for 116610LN is £6,250 GBP but good luck finding one...

Link to Rolex UK website https://www.rolex.com/ all the prices are referenced under each watch
agree with this

but if OP can get VAT back + currency is in his favour then he still might be able to save by buying at a premium from a grey
Old 13 January 2017, 07:42 AM   #12
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
You will have to pay full price inclusive of VAT. Take your passport and they will provide a receipt and form to claim back the VAT. However, this is claimed via a company at the airport who take quite a hefty commission. It works out about 13% that you receive.

My understanding of the process, my daughter followed this purchasing her DJ at Christmas.
Kevan - I am not so sure this is always the case. I think you can often get the full 20% refunded at the airport.

This link is to the UK government website that explains the procedure:
https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/taxfree-shopping
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 07:46 AM   #13
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
I phoned a few ADs last week enquiring about a new SS Sub and was told I should have one in about 4 weeks (though some ADs were quoting up to a year) so it seems stock is coming through and the waiting list for this model is getting shorter.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 07:51 AM   #14
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
The other option is contacting the Rolex AD in the dutyfree airport you are leaving UK from, and with enough notice they may well be able to get the AK or SubCdate in stock for your departure date, assuming you are leaving via Heathrow, Gatwick or Manchester...??

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 10:30 AM   #15
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

I don't believe the Rolex Boutiques in Airports will reserve or even order in watches for customers.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk
Old 2 February 2018, 04:59 AM   #16
Chester_drawers
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance

Tim
I have found getting any useful information out of Fattorini to be like pulling teeth. Conversely I found Andrew at Preston’s Leeds to be very helpful, Had to have a phone interview to make sure I wasn’t a speculator.
Hope it won’t be too long before I get the call.
Chester_drawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 05:48 AM   #17
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Correct. And traveling from Yorkshire I guess you may be landing in Manchester where you go to the travelex desk before checkin with your documents. You should get roughly 15% back after fees. I’m looking at doing exactly this in May for my Sub Date. I’ve previously claimed for my wife’s handbag.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 06:06 AM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_drawers View Post
I have found getting any useful information out of Fattorini to be like pulling teeth. Conversely I found Andrew at Preston’s Leeds to be very helpful, Had to have a phone interview to make sure I wasn’t a speculator.
Hope it won’t be too long before I get the call.
I was in Yorkshire a while ago and phoned Fattorini.
My Scottish accent went down like a lead balloon and I was told they like to sell to locals.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 06:12 AM   #19
Kevan
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one on my arm.
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation, not much difference going to Leeds from where I will be based so will definitely get in touch with them closer to the time of my visit.
Two dealers in the same street, worth a visit, unless you fancy a trip up north....Newcastle?
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 07:12 AM   #20
Chester_drawers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
My Scottish accent went down like a lead balloon and I was told they like to sell to locals.
I am local and they don’t even like to sell to us, don’t waste your time....anyone
Chester_drawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 08:10 AM   #21
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Popped into Harrogate fattorinnis recently and i have to say they were the most stuck up rude AD I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with....i look forward to the day rolex sells on line and these dinosaurs become extinct as they try to survive by selling what other little bits of tat they have left
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 08:18 AM   #22
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I bought my Sub Date from A Fattorini a couple of years ago, I also bought my Sea Dweller (now sadly gone) from there about 10 years ago, the experience on both occasions was very good, I have nothing but praise for them. I was in Harrogate the other day, there was no Sub date in the window so am assuming they have none, there has not been one in the window for a long time. I can't remember if there was an Air King in the window, but dont think so.

Fraser Hart in York are also very good, I looked in their window yesterday, there was no Sub or Air King.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 07:46 PM   #23
mjg002
"TRF" Member

Quote:

But not if you use Lister Horsfall in Ilkley who I would wholeheartedly recommend. They will give you the direct form from HMRC which will allow you get it stamped by Customs on departure and then to mail it straight back to the AD and you will then get the full VAT refund direct to your credit card or back account within days with no middle man taking a huge cut and/or sitting on your money for 6-8 weeks! Ask for Stephen and say I sent you - you will get no finer service from any AD in the UK.
mjg002 is offline   Reply With Quote