The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 March 2018, 02:29 AM   #31
up4speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
The above photos illustrate the change well. Older dial has thinner serif font “Submariner” text with a Standard f on ft and a space before the m. Newer style has a bolder San-serif “Submariner” and a long f in ft and no space before the m for meters.

Lots of threads on this, while no hard and fast rules about these changes it seems to be something that we started seeing during 2017 sometime. My watch purchased April 2017 has the old style but right around then people were getting the new style like yours too.
Thank you for pointing out the old versus the new style. Apparently, there are two old styles according to the above three photos , I don’t know if one is just older than the other though. With the two older styles the = sign is centered on one, left justified on the other. That seems to be the only difference that I can personally recognize.
up4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2018, 03:02 AM   #32
up4speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
post a pic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
The above photos illustrate the change well. Older dial has thinner serif font “Submariner” text with a Standard f on ft and a space before the m. Newer style has a bolder San-serif “Submariner” and a long f in ft and no space before the m for meters.

Lots of threads on this, while no hard and fast rules about these changes it seems to be something that we started seeing during 2017 sometime. My watch purchased April 2017 has the old style but right around then people were getting the new style like yours too.
So there were two older ones? Or was one older than the other? One has the = sign centered, and the other has it left justified.
From what you are saying, mine has the 2017+ style which makes total sense since I purchased the watch in February. It also makes sense that the Rolex site probably didn't update the picture and is showing a pre 2017 picture.
Old 13 March 2018, 05:47 AM   #33
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
I sometimes wonder if the reason some ADs suddenly are no longer ADs is possibly because of slight variations in the faces of some of their watches. I think it is more likely that they are caught selling to grey dealers or their numbers aren't good enough or Rolex has a better option, but out of all the ADs in the world, I know some of them have done things to violate the rules from time to time. I wonder if putting an after market dial on a watch has ever been done by an AD. Just wondering out loud.
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2018, 05:51 AM   #34
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0n View Post
Don't worry about slight variations, this is normal.

Top - Dec 2016 Submariner 114060
Center - Dec 2017 Submariner 114060
Bottom - Jun 2016 Submariner 116610LV

excellent
Old 13 March 2018, 06:02 AM   #35
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaswentworth View Post
I wonder if putting an after market dial on a watch has ever been done by an AD.
To what end?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2018, 06:10 AM   #36
up4speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaswentworth View Post
I sometimes wonder if the reason some ADs suddenly are no longer ADs is possibly because of slight variations in the faces of some of their watches. I think it is more likely that they are caught selling to grey dealers or their numbers aren't good enough or Rolex has a better option, but out of all the ADs in the world, I know some of them have done things to violate the rules from time to time. I wonder if putting an after market dial on a watch has ever been done by an AD. Just wondering out loud.
I can't imagine an AD risking that.