The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 March 2018, 12:12 PM   #31
Roovain
"TRF" Member

Dear Ahfe:
Here's my take on your dilemma. First and foremost, you have to realize that there's quite a difference between the two thin Nautilus's (5711 and 5712) vs. the 5726. The latter is quite beefier and more substantial, while the former two are very flat. Personally, I like the "meatier" 5726, since I don't wear dress shirts (I'm a surgeon; I wear scrubs and golf shirts). But the point is that people don't normally buy a pair of pants, or a pair of sunglasses, or buy a car WITHOUT trying it/them on first. Right? So before you make your decision, you need to find a way to try on these models before making a commitment. Here's an example: I fell in love with the 5140 series of watches, and was all set to get the platinum version. Then I tried it on, and instantly realized that it just didn't fit right, and was actually too small on my wrist. Sure glad I tried it on, first. Here's another point: To me, taking the leap into the Patek world implies getting a watch with their famous annual or perpetual calendar complications. If I wanted to set the date five times a year, I'd get a Rolex or Omega. Capiche? I could tell you I'd vote for the 5726...but that wouldn't do you any good. You have to try them on first.
Roovain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 12:29 PM   #32
Ahfe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod24 View Post
What about a 5712r only $3,700 you get a gold watch.
Cheaper than a 5726 ss i would say a happy middle of a 5712a and 5711r
I believe Nautilus is not considered nautilus without the bracelet.. Would to see 5712r with bracelet though
Ahfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 12:37 PM   #33
Ahfe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roovain View Post
Dear Ahfe:
Here's my take on your dilemma. First and foremost, you have to realize that there's quite a difference between the two thin Nautilus's (5711 and 5712) vs. the 5726. The latter is quite beefier and more substantial, while the former two are very flat. Personally, I like the "meatier" 5726, since I don't wear dress shirts (I'm a surgeon; I wear scrubs and golf shirts). But the point is that people don't normally buy a pair of pants, or a pair of sunglasses, or buy a car WITHOUT trying it/them on first. Right? So before you make your decision, you need to find a way to try on these models before making a commitment. Here's an example: I fell in love with the 5140 series of watches, and was all set to get the platinum version. Then I tried it on, and instantly realized that it just didn't fit right, and was actually too small on my wrist. Sure glad I tried it on, first. Here's another point: To me, taking the leap into the Patek world implies getting a watch with their famous annual or perpetual calendar complications. If I wanted to set the date five times a year, I'd get a Rolex or Omega. Capiche? I could tell you I'd vote for the 5726...but that wouldn't do you any good. You have to try them on first.
Very well put, infact, I only tried on a 5711, and do see your point of it having a thin profile, but on the other hand never saw the 5726. I do like thicker watches, and that's why I got the AP ROOS and DSSD dblue, both for being beefy, so you did help me for sure to get an idea of what I am getting myself into.
My AD which happens to be a friend also recommended the 5726 as well, she was telling me for nautilus it has to be SS on bracelet, as for precious metals go for complications..
Ahfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 12:10 AM   #34
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roovain View Post
Dear Ahfe:
This is a HUGE point. I actually prefer the 5711r and 5711a and 5712 bracelets because this is the "classic" dress watch thin bracelet profile. Its like the AP 15202 versus 15400 versus Royal oak offshore bracelets!
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 12:27 AM   #35
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I'd get the 5712/1A first then the 5711R. I already executed on the first part of that plan :D
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 01:10 AM   #36
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

5712 /1A is my favorite.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 02:45 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
This is a HUGE point. I actually prefer the 5711r and 5711a and 5712 bracelets because this is the "classic" dress watch thin bracelet profile. Its like the AP 15202 versus 15400 versus Royal oak offshore bracelets!
I sort of agree with this, for slim I like PP, for thicker I like AP.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 04:29 AM   #38
okie4455
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Casio
I gotta say the 5712 in ss is my personal favorite and well worth the wait. I don't think I've put on a watch that wears as well as the 5712. Don't think that the precious metal gives you the resale value you would hope for with the extra price.
okie4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 06:25 AM   #39
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahfe View Post
I believe Nautilus is not considered nautilus without the bracelet.. Would to see 5712r with bracelet though
so you're saying a 5726 with a black leather strap doesn't count? Well that's a shame b/c I love that watch and feel it can be dressed up better than the 1A with the bracelet.

Of course, this is all based on pics and videos only that I've seen.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 06:34 AM   #40
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahfe View Post
with all due respect, this is rather nonsensical. maybe there are those that do not consider nautilus models on strap as the 'real' thing but so what? i had the 5712R and loved it, a real nautilus, (almost) as beautiful as the 5711R. i sold it because the deployant was uncomfortable for me, certainly not because it is no real nautilus. it is a great reference IMHO and i am thinking of getting the 5980R (nautilus chrono on a strap) but possibly the comfort issue will be there as well.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 06:44 AM   #41
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
with all due respect, this is rather nonsensical. maybe there are those that do not consider nautilus models on strap as the 'real' thing but so what? i had the 5712R and loved it, a real nautilus, (almost) as beautiful as the 5711R. i sold it because the deployant was uncomfortable for me, certainly not because it is no real nautilus. it is a great reference IMHO and i am thinking of getting the 5980R (nautilus chrono on a strap) but possibly the comfort issue will be there as well.
Gerald Genta is actually known more as a bracelet designer than a watch designer. While the Nautilus case and finish is superb and amazing, I personally would prefer a Worldtime or other Patek on a strap. The nautilus bracelet is to die for (in my humble opinion) and it is simply exquisite (just like the royal oak bracelet).

The 5712R on a brown leather is amazing looking though and to me might be the exception to the rule. Not a big fan of the 5712G though or other nautilus on a strap.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 08:04 AM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
so you're saying a 5726 with a black leather strap doesn't count? Well that's a shame b/c I love that watch and feel it can be dressed up better than the 1A with the bracelet.

Of course, this is all based on pics and videos only that I've seen.
As others have pointed out I think the Nautilus in gold on a strap is fine, but in SS not so much, I think you really should try them both on.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 01:55 PM   #43
Watch Admirer
Banned

5711r no question
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote