The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 May 2018, 06:49 AM   #1
Etschell
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member

Watch: 114060, 25600tb
Meet a Rolex Forums Member #6 (May 2018) - Rolex Addict

Biking.jpg
This month I reached out to one of the Rolex Forums resident triathletes - Rolex Addict aka Chad. His affinity toward speed and the Platona is only rivaled by Dr. Tom.

Rolex Addict has a chemistry degree with enough engineering to be dangerous and is three classes away from having a major in Psychology. His original plan was pharmacy school or psychiatry. Unfortunately, he was “too dumb” (Chad’s words not mine) to get into Medical school so he decided to “play with chemicals.” Chad used to be a consultant, but recently went back to the corporate world as a global business manager. He has never been married and has no children. However, his love and passion is anything on two wheels (dirt bikes, road bikes and bicycles) starting with a dirt bike at the age of four. Simply put - he loves being on two wheels. Before triathlons, Chad raced GNCC and hare scrambles typically finishing top five in Amateur classes. All the bills were paid out of his pocket and money was short. This is where he got his need for speed fix. Many members also know he has a fondness for Crown Vics. It's not a fast or fancy car, but it's comfortable and according to Rolex Addict it's a chick magnet!

I understand you compete in triathlons and even competed in the Ironman recently. Tell me what compels you to compete in these events and how you got your start?

I got started in Ironman over a decade ago. A friend gave me a copy of Runner's World and Sarah Reinertsen was on the cover. She was the first above the knee amputee to finish the Ironman World Championships in Kona. Her story was just so amazing and inspiring I knew that I had to do one, so I signed up for Ironman Florida. I really didn't know much about it other than what I saw on television. Ignorance was definitely bliss. I've always had the urge to compete. I grew up riding dirt bikes and idolizing Rick Johnson, Jeff Ward, and David Bailey. After college I raced hare scrambles and GNCC's. It helped that Randy Hawkins lived in the next town over. There is a competitive streak in me that just won't die.

What are you currently training for and what goes into training?

I currently have no races planned. For me, Kona was a major flop. My results didn't come close to reflecting my fitness and the amount of work I put in, so I'm taking a little time away from all that to refocus. A lot of that was my fault. I failed to do my homework for that race. It's different. Very different. Ironman training requires a good 20-25 hours a week. It's a major commitment with a combination of weight training, cycling, swimming, running, physical therapy exercises, massage, and planning/packing meals for the week. There are a lot of sacrifices like watching television and movies, time with friends and family. This is something that will definitely change with the passing of my mother early February. She watched me train and work hard for a long time winning races and amateur cycling championships. I am very happy that we were able to sit down and go through all the Hawaii pictures and my "big" day at Kona. There will definitely be more time spent with Dad this year.
Ironman finish.jpg

What about when you are competing or training - anything on the wrist?

I (obviously) have a Timex Ironman and sometimes a Garmin Forerunner GPS. And yes, I double wrist just like in Vegas!

What Rolex model best matches your personality and why?

I would say the Submariner or Explorer II fit my personality best. What's crazy is that I don't own the Explorer II. Both are simple, classic, reliable, and very robust.

I've heard you purchased a barrel of Jack Daniels whiskey. How was that experience?

Buying the barrel of Jack Daniels was one of the single best days of my life. The experience was beyond incredible. I just can't say enough good things about the people at Jack Daniels and how they treated us. It was even better than any treatment at an AD when I wear the Platona. It was the experience of a lifetime. This is really saying something because I've biked across France and Spain. Followed Le Tour from Alpe D'Huez back to Paris and got to ride laps around the Champ Elysees. Traveled all over the world and done some really cool stuff. Camped in the outback of Australia. Got super drunk in Amsterdam, got lost in Utrecht, and had the Dutch police take me to my room. By the way, I was very impressed at how well they understood drunken Southern redneck. Very impressive!!!
JackD.jpg

I know that you have attended WIS-CON the last few years. Do you have a favorite memory?

It's hard to pick any one memory of the GTG. There have been so many good times and hilarious "episodes." BNA/Lion and the AP 15407 incident was definitely one of the funniest for me. Larry was pissed, but he's over it now....kind of. Just hanging out with these guys is a blast. You get to know them better and it makes the experience on TRF even better. I was sad that Paul didn't attend this year, but completely understand that he needed to be with his Mom.
LV GTG.jpg

When travelling what is your go to watch?

I travel a lot with work and it really depends on where I'm going. Many times, I'll post a gtg on the forum and see which watch the guys want me to wear. I don't get as many requests for the Platona as you would think. Due to a little enabling by my good friend GerardoG, I did recently buy a Tudor Back Bay ETA that I absolutely love. That is a great travel watch because it really does fly under the radar. Most people in my industry don't wear "fancy" watches.

In general, how did you become interested in automatic wrist watches?

I really didn't have much interest in automatic watches at all. I've had some pretty cool Oakley watches, but nothing "fancy." Over the years, my coach set me up with a few of her friends and the common theme was that I needed to update my wardrobe. My coach said I should also get a nice watch. I thought, ‘Ok, Rolex is a nice watch. Let me look around.’ Not knowing anything at all other than the brand, I did some homework and saw that they hold their value very well compared to others. I figured why not? If I don't like it I can sell it and not lose too much. Little did I know, the addiction was about to start!

What was your first Rolex, how did you get it, and what led you to acquire it?

My first Rolex was a 16613LB. This was also Dr. Tom's first Rolex. We've compared notes over the years, and it is crazy how similar our tastes are in watches, cars, bicycles, etc. I shouldn't say this, but even "his" Jack Russell Terrier took right up with me when I stayed over at his house. It was pretty funny. Everyone was shocked that she was snuggled up to me on the couch and not Dr. Tom.

What got you into the Rolex brand? What keeps you interested in Rolex?

I really just stumbled into the whole Rolex thing. My thoughts were always it's just a bunch of rich, douche nozzles that wear and flaunt them. When I learned how robust they are, that really got me. Yes, they are really nice watches, but they can also take a lickin'.

What separates Rolex from other Swiss luxury watch brands?

Rolex is a good, robust watch. I've worn several while mountain biking and never had an issue. I'm not sure a Patek could handle that.

Why did you join the Rolex Forums? Why did you stick around?

I joined the forum to learn about Rolex. There seemed to be a good wealth of knowledge here. The people are what keep me around. I have met many on my travels and the Vegas GTG. There are so many interesting and cool people. Obviously, Dr. Tom is a standout for me. GerardoG, ReturntoRolex, Trace, Superdog, Ken, Larry, Wayne, Danny83....oh man. There are just way too many to list.

What do you look for in a Rolex? What draws you to a particular reference?

I buy what sings to me. No impulse buys. I'll piddle fart around for a few months before buying, but when I'm ready, I'll drop the cash right then. It's hard to explain. It just has to have that special feeling and stick around. If it fades, I don't buy.
Baby.jpg

If you had to choose in your current collection what is your favorite watch and why?

The Platona is my favorite watch. I don't think any explanation is needed. You either get it or you don't.
Platona.jpg

What other brands outside of Rolex interest you and what about the brand interests you?

Other than Rolex, I like AP and own a 15400 silver dial. The 15305 and 15407 are very cool, but not worth the premium in my honest opinion. The Patek 5711 is also a really cool watch. Thanks to GerardoG, I recently acquired a Tudor Black Bay. That is an awesome watch. Right now, there really isn't much else that tickles my fancy.

What is your grail Rolex and when do you plan on acquiring it?

I already have my "grail" Rolex - The Platona.

What Rolex do you plan on buying next?

I am up in the air on my next watch. The AP 15407 was in the running until Vegas. It's out of the picture, but I do have my eye on the Polar Explorer II, DJ41 with slate dial/roman numerals, and a yellow gold Sub 116618LB. I kept trying on Danny's Sub. That watch is beautiful. I'm not really a yellow gold person, but may be changing my mind. We'll see. Everyone knows I hee and haw a lot before buying. Plus with the market the way it is I may not be able to get any of those for a while. No worries either way. I have plenty of watches to wear and just put a white Everest band on my SS Daytona. Definitely tones down the bling factor.

Is there a Rolex you are waiting for to be produced? i.e. a platinum sport model that doesn’t exist yet?

It's no secret that I would love to have a platinum Submariner. That and the Platona would dominate wrist time. With that combo, I would really troll the platinum hater threads.

Outside of being a Rolex enthusiast / WIS what are some of your interests and how do they inter-relate to Rolex?

I love doing and learning new stuff. My New Year's resolution has always been the same thing each year. Do something I've never done before. That lead me to roasting coffee, brewing beer, making moonshine (and yes, I know a few guys from the show), triathlon stuff, used to do some bodybuilding, done a little MMA but don't like getting punched in the head repeatedly (and hard!!), mountain biking, traveling, tasting different scotches and whiskies, and anything where I can wear nothing but a speedo. Not really sure how these inter relate to Rolex. I haven't really thought about it. I do what I like and enjoy. If it's not fun it's time to do something else. I do send Larry (BNalion) lots of wrist pics when I roast coffee.

If you aren’t on the Rolex Forums you are probably....?

Working or exercising.
Red Bike.jpg

They say there is a story behind every Rolex. What is a story behind one of yours owned past or presently?

The Hulk has a lot of meaning to me. I wore that to Kona for the Ironman World Championships, Ironman Florida, and the Dopey Challenge. Those events capped my long distance racing career. Over a decade of hard work and one watch worn for the last races. That and my SS Daytona 116520. I got it for my 40th birthday and it's also my god child's birth year. The 116520 will make a great college graduation gift.

How did your Rolex collection grow to what it is today?

The collection grew because my name is Rolex Addict and I have a problem. I'm an addict. Seriously, after the first one it was like, "Hey! I also really like that one. I think I'll buy it. Heeeey, there's another one. I really like it, too." I guess it's better than being that old person in a rocking chair collecting cats. I keep saying one has to go before a new one comes in but it never happens.
Medals.jpg

Would you like to take part in Meet a Rolex Forums Member? Please PM me. The series began with tkerrmd. And continued with DavidSW, GerardoG, Jocke, TheVTCGuy, Rolex Addict, Art1
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:02 AM   #2
Cru Jones

Great read! Well done, gentlemen.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:03 AM   #3
RW16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Wow, another great interview! I really enjoyed reading this Some very interesting members on this forum in the best possible way. Well done, Eliot
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:16 AM   #4
Rockrolex
Moderator & 2018 DAYTONA Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Having met Chad in Vegas over the years and knowing he was into running, I learned a whole lot more about him from reading this article. Great stuff, Eliot. Keep it up.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON 18" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:21 AM   #5
Art 1
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner/PADI
Very nice!
Old 3 May 2018, 07:23 AM   #6
G8RDPM

Another great interview.
Chad is super cool. Enjoyed a drink to two in LV with him!
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:25 AM   #7
FTX I

Great one Eliot.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:29 AM   #8
GerardoG

Watch: ALL of them
Fantastic interview; thank you for sharing! Chad is class act, I do enjoy sharing laughs and stories when we meet; it was -as always- a pleasure spending time together in Vegas last week!

Eliot: kuddos, great job!
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
ROLEX GEEK SQUAD

Instagram: @AboutLife.club

Next: ...are YOU ready for Las Vegas 2019?
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:33 AM   #9
TheRolexKingofLV

Great interview Eliot!

I've been hanging out with Chad at GTGs for a couple years now, and I can say honestly, he's as good hearted as they come! I consider him a true friend.

He even said if I visit him, we can take the Crowne Vic out and cruise chicks!
TheRolexKingofLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:34 AM   #10
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Great interview!

Chad, You are a chariter and fun to hang with. Keep the posts coming!

18238 DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ NEXT --> ?

Official Member: ♣ 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member: ♣ 'WIS CON' Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member: ♣ 'WIS CON' Vegas International GTG 2018
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:44 AM   #11
Rolex addict
2018 Pledge Member

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
Great interview Eliot!

I've been hanging out with Chad at GTGs for a couple years now, and I can say honestly, he's as good hearted as they come! I consider him a true friend.

He even said if I visit him, we can take the Crowne Vic out and cruise chicks!
I’ll activate the child locks on the back doors so they only open from the outside, so you feel at home. Thank you for the kind words. It was an absolute pleasure hanging out with you this past weekend!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 07:46 AM   #12
GerardoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I’ll activate the child locks on the back doors so they only open from the outside, so you feel at home. Thank you for the kind words. It was an absolute pleasure hanging out with you this past weekend!!
ROLEX GEEK SQUAD

Old 3 May 2018, 08:15 AM   #13
Rich Mickol

Watch: out now,take care!
Nice work gentlemen. An excellent read! Thanks for sharing.
TRF #139960

14233M -- "OP" (Wife)
116519 -- “LN”
116619 -- "LB"
116719 -- "BLRO"
Rich Mickol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 08:28 AM   #14
SemperFi
2018 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Another great interview by Eliot. And thanks to both Eliot and Chad for the time and effort. Well done fellas.
Nomos Club Datum 733

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 08:31 AM   #15
returntorolex

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Chad is tops!! Great read Eliot and appreciate the work you’re doing.
Official Member: 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas International GTG 2018
*Soon* QUINTO ANNIVERSARIO ‘WIS-CON’ LV Int’l GTG 2019

"Never underestimate the power of tequila."
-GerardoG / Proud Member of TRF Coleccionistas

F.O.G. 🇲🇽
returntorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 08:31 AM   #16
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Great interview, lots of nice things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 08:37 AM   #17
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Great stuff Eliot and nice to learn a little more about you Chad
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 08:49 AM   #18
teqp

Watch: 116613LN
Another nice interview Eliot!
It was nice to meet Chad in Vegas, except I didn't need to see that speedo pic!
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 08:49 AM   #19
liuk3
2018 Pledge Member

Great interview. Thanks for sharing!
Old 3 May 2018, 08:51 AM   #20
cop414
Moderator & 2018 DAYTONA Patron

Watch: 14060M
Great stuff Eliot, great also getting to know you better Chad

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 08:57 AM   #21
Kostas

Nice to get to know a little more about Chad ! And a great interview and pics from Eliot ! Thank you !
Kostas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 08:59 AM   #22
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Great write up ...Chad is very cool. Man that Trek bike costed alot more then the Crown Vic
Old 3 May 2018, 09:02 AM   #23
DJ TT 2002
2018 Pledge Member

Great read!!!
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 09:04 AM   #24
sensui

Respect for Triathalon/Ironman competitions. Looks like good fun @ Vegas! Great interview.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 10:19 AM   #25
Rolex addict
2018 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
You mean my "new watch pic."

Edit: Forgot to mention that Mark aka Runnin Rebel put on his glasses, enlarged the pic, and looked at it an uncomfortably long time.
Old 3 May 2018, 10:19 AM   #26
Rolex addict
2018 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Great write up ...Chad is very cool. Man that Trek bike costed alot more then the Crown Vic
Yes, yes it did.
Old 3 May 2018, 10:32 AM   #27
GerardoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
Welcome to the club...
ROLEX GEEK SQUAD

Old 3 May 2018, 10:41 AM   #28
teqp

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
You mean my "new watch pic."

Edit: Forgot to mention that Mark aka Runnin Rebel put on his glasses, enlarged the pic, and looked at it an uncomfortably long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG
Welcome to the club...
The eyes were not meant to see certain things!
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 10:46 AM   #29
-lenny-

Watch: V serial
Another interesting read, thank you!
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 12:09 PM   #30
Chloe&Harley

Watch: Milgauss white
Really enjoy these keep up the great work