The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 29 April 2018, 12:00 PM   #1
Polo3478
"TRF" Member

Buying an Omega Speedmaster Pro

Hi all,

Considering buying an Omega Speedmaster Pro and thought I'd reach out for some advice.

1. I'm interested in this watch because of its style, function, and most importantly the history in space. Obviously Omega has updated the watch since the 1960's, however I wanted to be certain I can find a new model with as much of that heritage possible. Am I correct that I should keep looking at the Omega 311.30.42.30.01.005?

2. Has anyone used one of the recommended buyer's on The Rolex Forums to purchase such a model or have any recommendations? I live quite a distance from the closest Omega dealer, and therefore wouldn't be opposed to looking at a NOS/pre-loved item either.

3. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DK
Polo3478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 08:37 PM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Hi there.

Yes, the reference number mentioned in your post is the current reference number for the flight-qualified Speedmaster Professional that was issued to NASA crew members for missions. The prior reference number was 3570.50, in case you're browsing pre-owned watches that are ~3 or more years old (3570.50 was the reference beginning around twenty years ago, and there are other references for earlier watches, but that's a long discussion). The current reference has some subtle changes in the construction of the bracelet (although the two bracelets look the same), but otherwise a 3570.50 is the same watch as the current reference.

Trusted Sellers here are a good way to go, and I noticed that DavidSW recently added a pre-owned one to his inventory that looks like a good specimen.

One bit of advice for choosing a watch: ask the seller to give the crown a few twists and confirm to you that it turns easily while winding the movement. The effort required to twist the crown varies with this model (I think it's the seals around the stem that cause this), and having one that's overly stiff can ruin the pleasure of living with a Speedmaster Pro.

I recommend buying a watch on the bracelet, and I also recommend choosing a strap or two that you might enjoy.

Happy hunting!
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 09:58 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A great choice of a watch and if you buy right you will not get hurt if it does not work out. I have owned both the manual wind and automatic version of this watch and preferred the automatic. It has a sapphire crystal and an exhibition case back which I found nice. Just a few hundred dollars more. The watch is 42 mm but wears small based on the case and lugs. I would get it on the bracelet as trying to source it later is expensive. Based on the size I let both of mine go and picked up the Speedmaster Professional Co-Axial 44.25. Just wrist size and wear of the watch. You can have a lot of fun with the Speedmasters and not have a lot of money tied up in one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180315_112823 (002).jpg (185.7 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg 20150625_184515.jpg (144.0 KB, 368 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 10:55 PM   #4
benvh
"TRF" Member

Would definitely recommend Kirill (www.lunaroyster.com) for preowned Speedmasters.

Ben
benvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 07:34 PM   #5
RazorD
"TRF" Member

^ +1
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 03:59 AM   #6
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I bought mine from user X JBM X here NIB, he usually has them as do several others.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 07:33 AM   #7
ajg278
"TRF" Member

I got mine from Serge at Chitownwatch and would give him a call for a BNIB one
ajg278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 03:33 AM   #8
jcatlas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Today? Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg278 View Post
I got mine from Serge at Chitownwatch and would give him a call for a BNIB one
This, I got my new speedy from Serge and he is utterly painless to work with not to mention it has free shipping and the warranty is from an AD so its honored at your nearest Omega Boutique. His prices are pretty competitive too.

In terms of getting the most authentic Omega Speedy presently is the 311.30.42.30.01.005. The 1861 movement is a significant departure from the original 321 used in the moon watches but they are functionally and aesthetically similar. Not to mention that reference numbers comes with an awesome box that looks like something NASA would you. Lastly its also still considered qualified for space flight by NASA (the 005 hesalite version) and Russia.
jcatlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 04:25 AM   #9
h20addict
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I got my new Sapphire Sandwich Speedy Pro from Mosco (Greg) BNIB for a good price.
h20addict is offline   Reply With Quote