The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2018, 11:03 AM   #31
Bavariandoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post
I would drive there and try to leave a deposit.
In radius of 1.5 hr driving, there are probably 15+ ADs. Only reason I would’ve driven that far is because AD was very freindly and accomodating initally.

I’d rather deal with someone closer and more professional AD that will appreciate my business
Bavariandoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 11:18 AM   #32
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I never heard of an AD to sell local only. I picked up a new Zblue 2 days ago and was asked if l had an out of state address, I guess to save him paying tax.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 11:22 AM   #33
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
Now you know. When dealing with any AD, always plea the 5th.
Old 25 May 2018, 11:38 AM   #34
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

would a trusted trf seller with a bnib model be an option you’d consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 12:24 PM   #35
Bavariandoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
would a trusted trf seller with a bnib model be an option you’d consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Trusted TRF seller would be my last option, and nothing personal as I have heard many great stories here on trf.
Primarily, mark up is $1500-2000 from actual MSRP and I have ppl having trouble with NYRSC when bringing watch for service if their name is not on the warranty card.
Bavariandoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 12:45 PM   #36
AutoBay
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Odysseus
In some states, like CA, it's illegal for stores to take deposits on products they cannot guarantee delivery on. Might be part of this.

Last edited by AutoBay; 25 May 2018 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: typo
AutoBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 01:00 PM   #37
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavariandoc View Post
In search for my first Rolex GMT II BLNR, I emailed numerous dealers in 2 hr drive radius.

I got reply from very friendly AD in different state which is about 1.5 hr drive telling me the best approach would be to come to store, leave refundable deposit and he’ll aim to get BLNR in next month, with no guarantees. Fair enough

I called him following day to let him know I’ll be coming in to store on store on Saturday as its 1.5 hr drive. This change entire behavior of AD — all of a sudden he needs to speak to management to see availability and if he can sell it to me vs someone local. I spoke to him today and according to him: they no longer need deposit bc they dont want to hold up my money not knowing when watch will arrive, and managment preference would be to sell to someone local. ?!?!

It makes sense they prefer someone local for returned business customer however this seems a bit excessive of not willing to sell someone watch bc of where someone lives.

Is it better to simply go to AD store without disclosing the place of living?

I would appreciate your thoughts/advice and if anyone is aware of AD with BLNR in stock anywhere in NY/NJ/CT/PA/MA area, pls shoot me a pm with details.

Cheers!
Some watch salespeople are like car salespeople. They use all the sales tactic in the book and hope one of them will work on you. If you have the time and don't mind driving, go ahead. But the phone call story sounds fishy. If the salesperson is new to the business and/or doesn't know Rolex products, he can easily waste your time. OTOH he may be earnest in trying to earn your business and may do what he can to get the watch you want and earn his commission.

If possible, it is always best to establish relationships with a store manager or better yet the owner of a family-owned store. Salespeople come and go, so they may not always be there when you call back in a year or two.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote