The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2018, 04:33 PM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Google ‘Patek Water’

PP and AP are much more out there in recent years then I’ve ever seen before be it from the like of Ed Sheeran to them being in rap/grime lyrics but we are still no where near the Rolex league of placement.

Like you say it’s still brand recognition I have friends make comments after I’ve mentioned Patek, AP and even Goyard and gone ‘I’ve heard that in this or that song’ etc but they weren’t aware of what they were, well I know for a fact all my friends know the brand Rolex.
patek water

See... never heard of it until here. No one really knows AP either IMO anyway, in any real sense. The only difference is that with an offshore, more people notice it. They still don't know what they are seeing most of the time though.

Having heard of something and being able to connect it to what that thing actually is the the part that is lacking. Rolex is so universal that you say Rolex and everyone immediately gets what it is.

Ed Sheeran is fun to watch spot but again you would kind of need to know what to look for to have an idea of what he is wearing.The last time i saw him in Battersea (at Byrons of all places) pretty sure he had a 5726A on
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 04:37 PM   #32
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
gawd....if you are having these thoughts....you shouldn't be buying a pp.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 05:06 PM   #33
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 06:49 PM   #34
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
I paid a £20k premium to have an SS Royal Oak like the basic models but for my money the dial was missing and I could see the movement but I’ll tell you now that was £20k well spent as I love the thing
Not to mention the double balance wheel mechanism construction and the gold bridge!
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 07:05 PM   #35
waspy1
Banned

I’m surprised that paying 50 to 100% over msrp doesn’t feature in your list. If you can get over that then the rest will follow. If you’re not ready to cross that barrier of entry then the rest is a moot point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 08:50 PM   #36
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
I laugh at my friends when they say I bought a Sub or GMT because it’s a tool watch. My buddy has a DSSD and tells me how great this watch is. Yes, it’s a great watch but don’t tell me you bought it because it’s a tool watch and you go in the pool with it! Anyone buying a Sub is not using it to dive with. In fact, as a dive watch, it is useless! Technology blew by the Sub 20 years ago and the Sub never changed. You buy a Sub (or a DSSD) to impress your friends.

As has been mentioned previously, you buy a Patek for yourself. No need to impress anyone, because no one know what they are. I stopped wearing Rolex around my family and friends because I didn’t what them to think I was “showing off. ” I stopped wearing Rolex walking around the city because I don’t want to get knocked over the head for 20K.

The people that buy and wear Patek don’t need to be convinced to buy them. They understand. However, I don’t know anyone that owns a Patek that started with Patek. I also don’t know anyone with a Perpetual Patek that started there.

To those that are considering Patek for the first time, I say, “hold on it is a thrilling ride that will last a lifetime”!
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 09:09 PM   #37
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Patek water...those IQ points are never coming back are they?
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 11:26 PM   #38
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollyp View Post
Buy a Rolex to impress others.

Buy a Patek to impress yourself.

I'm always impressed when some tries to impress me.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 11:59 PM   #39
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
I laugh at my friends when they say I bought a Sub or GMT because it’s a tool watch. My buddy has a DSSD and tells me how great this watch is. Yes, it’s a great watch but don’t tell me you bought it because it’s a tool watch and you go in the pool with it! Anyone buying a Sub is not using it to dive with. In fact, as a dive watch, it is useless! Technology blew by the Sub 20 years ago and the Sub never changed. You buy a Sub (or a DSSD) to impress your friends.

As has been mentioned previously, you buy a Patek for yourself. No need to impress anyone, because no one know what they are. I stopped wearing Rolex around my family and friends because I didn’t what them to think I was “showing off. ” I stopped wearing Rolex walking around the city because I don’t want to get knocked over the head for 20K.

The people that buy and wear Patek don’t need to be convinced to buy them. They understand. However, I don’t know anyone that owns a Patek that started with Patek. I also don’t know anyone with a Perpetual Patek that started there.

To those that are considering Patek for the first time, I say, “hold on it is a thrilling ride that will last a lifetime”!

I couldn’t agree more

Old 27 May 2018, 01:52 AM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I buy dem Pateks cuz they lit AF when you get em wet. Splash.
Old 27 May 2018, 02:23 AM   #41
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I buy dem Pateks cuz they lit AF when you get em wet. Splash.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 27 May 2018, 06:07 AM   #42
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Some examples of horrifying thoughts for a potential 1st time Patek owner

Simple - these aren’t things I tried to ‘rationalize’. Besides - for me if I only had one watch - it would be a Patek.

Outside of the WIS community - you could replace Patek in the original post with Rolex or nearly ANY other luxury brand.

It’s a simple ‘wants/needs’ correlation. Do I need a watch - not really - do I want one...absolutely.

There’s just something about wearing a Patek.

Incidentally —- From a utility is there a real ‘difference’ between a Rolex and a Timex....?

I’d say - if these are your first thoughts when considering — I’d say it’s not the right time to be looking at Pateks.

Just my .02

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 06:28 AM   #43
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
All true statements.

Sounds like you are a Rolex guy through and through.
Old 27 May 2018, 06:39 AM   #44
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I actually think you are fully able to grasp Patek’s role in the spectrum. It’s in your profile. For you, money buys you Rolex, not happiness. For many money buys them Patek. It just happens to cost more. There are many reasons why... the finishing... the quality... the scarcity (50,000 watches produced per year compared to millions), the name brand. That is all tangible criteria. But truly none of that matters. If Patek doesn’t speak to you then don’t buy one. Ultimately you’re judging Rolex vs. Patek from a monetary perspective and that’s just not going to work. Otherwise as another poster said, why buy Rolex? Why buy Tag? Why buy Seiko? Just grab a $30 Casio digital watch or better yet just use your cell phone (flip phone because a smartphone is more expensive and not worth it).

Nicely done.

Maybe just look at the clock tower to check time.. no offence meant to the OP.

ECLS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 06:54 AM   #45
Maltie
"TRF" Member

Watches are NOT rational, they are emotional, regardless of what you buy for what price. If you want a rational solution, click on your phone and see date and time 😉
Maltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 08:26 AM   #46
Trek737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
A Rolex is wonderful, but I enjoy brand diversity.[/SIZE] My Aquanaut pretty much does everything a Rolex can anyways.

It's really up to you - by the math, you can have 2-3 Rolex or one PP. There's no wrong way to build a collection.
This is a big reason why I am drawn to other brands besides just Rolex... When I see someone who's entire collection is Rolex... i.e. 10 to 20 plus watches after a bit they look to similar to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
When I imagine myself becoming a Patek owner, I foresee myself possessing the following horrifying thoughts.

- "The weight to cost ratio is the lowest of any watch I have ever purchased."
- "Wow, this watch is much lower in magnitude in both size and and heft than Rolex."
- "I now have a piece that is much more difficult to sell in the secondary market than a Rolex sports model."
- "Nobody aside from fellow WISes has ever heard of this brand, let alone can quickly recognize it."
- "For the same $, I can purchase 2x ceramic SS Daytona."
- "I can purchase another watch with the money it would cost me to service this piece."
- "This piece has much lower utility than my Submariner, GMT, or Daytona. I wouldn't feel comfortable showering or swimming with this Patek."

Current Patek owners, how did you rationalize these concerns when you took the plunge?
I thought your post was thought provoking... And things like the very high initial cost and the high maintenance cost are important concerns to me...

Quote:

Could not have been it any better then that...^^^.

I have read several times from others on the Rolex sub forum that they wear their Rolex to impress others.. i.e. "I'm successful"...

Another point that I believe was made that I wanted to reiterate is when it comes to luxury watches... A lot of people that want a luxury watch have a Rolex....me included. And because the price point is lower it makes them more accessible... and IMHO this makes them some what less desirable.

One last point is that I like the fact that Patek is under the radar for just about everyone except for those who are really into watches!
116660 DeepBlue
Wife:
116231 DJ Black MOP set w Diamonds
178384 DJ White MOP set w Diamonds
Trek737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 10:46 AM   #47
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
Quote:

This.
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 03:06 PM   #48
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

I just heard a new one today.

In today’s hip hop Patek roundup we have Pusha T off his latest album titled...wait for it...Daytona.

“Had to find other ways to invest, cause you rappers found every way to ruin Pateks. It’s a nightmare yeah.”

“Art Basel in the bezel. Your bustdown is bustdown it don’t match the metal.”

Even rappers have had enough. Not sure if this is good news or not
Old 27 May 2018, 05:03 PM   #49
River
"TRF" Member

Quote:

“Had to find other ways to invest, cause you rappers found every way to ruin Pateks. It’s a nightmare yeah.”

I was thinking that while listening to that song

River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 05:28 PM   #50
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post

+1

Having owned many Rolexes I can confirm that the general perception is that they are worn in a flashy attempt to impress others. Sad, but true. I stopped wearing them for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned.

I love my PPs but I will say though that I am not a fan of the absurd 6 month service period. If this is still the case when my 5712 (daily) is up for service I'll replace it, even if I have to buy one that's already been serviced, lol. It's my favorite watch ever but I won't have my daily held hostage for 6 months...
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 05:37 PM   #51
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
+1

Having owned many Rolexes I can confirm that the general perception is that they are worn in a flashy attempt to impress others. Sad, but true. I stopped wearing them for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned.

I love my PPs but I will say though that I am not a fan of the absurd 6 month service period. If this is still the case when my 5712 (daily) is up for service I'll replace it, even if I have to buy one that's already been serviced, lol. It's my favorite watch ever but I won't have my daily held hostage for 6 months...
Wow,

Are you a typical Patek owner?
Pimpsy?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 05:59 PM   #52
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
+1

I don't think that is wrong. The typical owner is not a WIS and yes, a big motivation a lot of times is being noticed. Its a double edged sword as Rolex does attract both crowds and the showoff people skew a lot of this perception. I don't wear Rolex sometimes when i am trying to be low key.

Its not everyone, and many people wish that aspect of the brand didn't exist because we just like the watches and not necessarily the side show that accompanies it. minus one or two exceptions my Rolex is the only one anyone says anything about and yes i have been accused of bragging when wearing it back home, high school reunion comes to mind specifically.
Old 27 May 2018, 09:15 PM   #53
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
Quote:
+1

Yes the service times are not truly a pain point, however this is eased if you have more than a few watches to wear. For the past 4 years I have had at least one watch in for service. Having several others helps.

I look at it as a pro athlete that is out for the season. You really need a roster of watches to fill the spot.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 09:27 PM   #54
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

In today’s hip hop Patek roundup we have Pusha T off his latest album titled...wait for it...Daytona.

Are rappers starting to write for us, because no one else is going to get this, boy are we becoming powerful . We've come along way from Rollie this and that.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 09:29 PM   #55
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I don't think that is wrong. The typical owner is not a WIS and yes, a big motivation a lot of times is being noticed. Its a double edged sword as Rolex does attract both crowds and the showoff people skew a lot of this perception. I don't wear Rolex sometimes when i am trying to be low key.

Its not everyone, and many people wish that aspect of the brand didn't exist because we just like the watches and not necessarily the side show that accompanies it. minus one or two exceptions my Rolex is the only one anyone says anything about and yes i have been accused of bragging when wearing it back home, high school reunion comes to mind specifically.
Yeah but don't you live in the rural North West where currency is measured in goats and they still point at airplanes? Like our Wales.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 09:58 PM   #56
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting post and I understand some of the concerns of the OP. I like PP but have never been able to pull the trigger for whatever reason. I go to the events at my AD, enjoy the watches and fellowship with the PP staff and watch owners but still don't buy. It is not a money thing as much as it is, I just don't get that excited about it. Neither right or wrong. Not a slam on the brand or owners as much as it is just a choice on my part. I have enjoyed the statement for years, "You own a Rolex for others, and you own a PP for yourself." Whatever. Once again, I think a lot people make judgements about others that fit a narrative about how they see the world and themselves. I say enjoy the watches, be tolerant of others and the watch selections they make, for whatever the reason and move on. Soon enough none of will need a watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 11:04 PM   #57
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Interesting post and I understand some of the concerns of the OP. I like PP but have never been able to pull the trigger for whatever reason. I go to the events at my AD, enjoy the watches and fellowship with the PP staff and watch owners but still don't buy. It is not a money thing as much as it is, I just don't get that excited about it. Neither right or wrong. Not a slam on the brand or owners as much as it is just a choice on my part. I have enjoyed the statement for years, "You own a Rolex for others, and you own a PP for yourself." Whatever. Once again, I think a lot people make judgements about others that fit a narrative about how they see the world and themselves. I say enjoy the watches, be tolerant of others and the watch selections they make, for whatever the reason and move on. Soon enough none of will need a watch.
Wear a Patek for 6 months and its hard to go back. That was my experience with the aquanaut. I had a bunch of submariners/GMTs/speedmasters and for 2 whole YEARS when given the choice I would wear the aquanaut over the rolexes. I did have it on both rubber and bracelet so I had choices.

If you are a rolex lover, you should start with a Nautilus or Aquanaut. The pity is none are available. When I first got the aquanaut, it looked underwhelming (due to understated elegance), after 3 days on the wrist you can feel and tell the quality. Its something you have to wear to experience. Going to the boutique and wearing it on and off is one thing, but you really need the wrist time.

Its pretty much a no-brainer if you are able to get either one since it is a risk free investment at retail. If you can get the Aqua at $18k or Nautilus at $30k, you can immediately get your money back any time.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 11:07 PM   #58
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post

Amen to that!

Old 28 May 2018, 03:39 AM   #59
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:

Celebrate: Life, Success and Blessing.....!!!

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 03:47 AM   #60
branepantovic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15400st
I hope one day to lose such sleep with these dilemmas
branepantovic is offline   Reply With Quote