The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 June 2018, 02:06 PM   #1
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Hard to find watch lovers outside of this forum.

I’ve been into watches since I was a kid. I’ve had many over the years. I can’t seem to find another human being outside of the forums that shares the same interest. I do ok and live and work in tech in SF. I have 100s of friends from IT to drs and lawyers and no one I know gives a sh%# about watches. Back a few years ago I had my friend over who is a very successful ER dr for dinner and wine and he saw my collection of 4 SS Rolex watches. He asked what those were rotating in my winder I told him and he said I’m weird. I work for a prestigious law firm and don’t see anyone wearing a nice watch. It seems no one in SF has an interest in nice watches and they all wear an Apple Watch. Sad but if I want to have a conversation with anyone here outside the forums I have to walk into an AD. The person I’m dating now asked about my Daytona and I gave them the history and what I paid for it and what it goes for now and they told me I should sell it now and invest the money.

With that said I went to Asia for work for 6 weeks recently and everyone appreciated and had nice watches. Maybe this is an American/SF thing that has no interest in watches?
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 02:14 PM   #2
TRM
Banned

I don't disagree with your statement, it is hard to find other enthusiasts. I never mention my watches to anyone and few, if any one ever notices. There's been a couple of times one was noticed and discussed. There are plenty of forums to find other like individuals on.
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 02:17 PM   #3
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Yeah I feel the same. Everyone here is into smart watches. Outside of TRF, I haven’t met too many WIS types with the exception of Basel release events. I know people who like watches, but I feel I have more of a love for them, their mechanical greatness etc
WS9D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 02:19 PM   #4
richard371
"TRF" Member

Agreed. I’m not looking for attention (I have a cute dog for that) or show and tell but just a little surprised that I don’t see others around me with this interest. Is it that Discreet and taboo to talk about? Maybe they are only status symbols after all and not cool hobbies. I can talk about photography, Tech, Homepods, Drones, TVs etc but I almost feel more comfortable discussing gohonera then Rolex lol.

Just looked up the Nautilus. 60k for an SS. Get a Platona and call it a day. 100x nicer and platinum. I just don't get Patek. Yes they are finished a bit better but I think Rolex makes a better movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRM View Post
I don't disagree with your statement, it is hard to find other enthusiasts. I never mention my watches to anyone and few, if any one ever notices. There's been a couple of times one was noticed and discussed. There are plenty of forums to find other like individuals on.
Old 16 June 2018, 02:47 PM   #5
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Same here in Portland, but they’re expensive anachronisms. I don’t think it should be surprising.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 02:52 PM   #6
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Same for Denver, except I’ve found a local group who’ve come together from various forums and we have about 10-30 people show up at bi-monthly GTGs, so that’s kind of nice. Red Bar just started here in Denver too and I’m going next week to my first GTG with them.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 02:58 PM   #7
richard371
"TRF" Member

Agreed maybe these going the way of pocket watches and we think they are realy cool expensive materialistic things that make us feel happy in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Same here in Portland, but they’re expensive anachronisms. I don’t think it should be surprising.
Old 16 June 2018, 03:00 PM   #8
richard371
"TRF" Member

GTGs are the best. You don't stand around discussing how successful or not you are you talk about your passion for these mechanical gadgets :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Same for Denver, except I’ve found a local group who’ve come together from various forums and we have about 10-30 people show up at bi-monthly GTGs, so that’s kind of nice. Red Bar just started here in Denver too and I’m going next week to my first GTG with them.
Old 16 June 2018, 03:08 PM   #9
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Many car forums I go on (Piston heads etc) have a high proportion of watch enthusiasts.
Where I live (Manchester UK) - there are a good percentage of people that are into watches enough to know what you are wearing - but tend not to mention it...... especially the thieves and muggers

Very seldom see an Apple watch.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 03:15 PM   #10
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Maybe watches are too ‘old tech’ for SF. Here in London you see watch enthusiasts very frequently. Take the red line tube and you are pretty much guaranteed to see a couple of Hulks.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 03:16 PM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
maybe its just where I live but I run into many owners of nice watches.

but its true that they're not wis'.

one person I met at a dinner had a beautiful GO Senator on and I asked him about it.

he knew nothing about the watch itself except that he regrets that he can't swim with it.

oh well.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 03:18 PM   #12
richard371
"TRF" Member

Yea we are a weird cult.
Old 16 June 2018, 03:19 PM   #13
kd_submariner
"TRF" Member

I'm in the Bay Area as well and it's same around my parts. AD's are the only place I'll find people equally as interested.
kd_submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 03:19 PM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

My friends start to get a real appreciation for nice watches as well, one recently bought a speedy another wants a green sub.

For me it's the opposite, my work revolves around Rolex, so aside from TRF I'm not crazy into watches anymore, there are other things too
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 03:30 PM   #15
richard371
"TRF" Member

I think its an American thing. Americans have no interest in fine watches anymore . I'm on the Rolex Facebook group and hardly anyone is an American thats into watches. We need more Dr Toms :)
Old 16 June 2018, 06:50 PM   #16
Brew
"TRF" Member

If you think watch enthusiasts are rare, try striking up a conversation with one of the guys at the gym about straight razors! Or better yet, just stand there and shave, and see what happens. lol.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 07:27 PM   #17
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with a minority interest. The internet has been a big help in bringing enthusiasts together.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 07:33 PM   #18
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
People think I am crazy but I dont care it is what I like that matters. As far as finding other enthusiasts none in my area never see any other watches in the wild other than G Shocks or invicta's.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 07:41 PM   #19
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

I think this is also an American thing. Sure there are watch enthusiastic but I find more interest in watches abroad = Europe and Asia. In the states, I wear my Daytona and I get the same effect as my lovable Casio gshock. I don’t mind. However, I share what you are talking about. It would be awesome to talk to like minded people. Btw, you are no weird. That was a strange comment that person told you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 07:55 PM   #20
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
It must depend on the Forum and the people on it.

I am on another forum, not watch related, and it has a section for watches. There is a watch meeting at the yearly conference. They are all enthusiasts and different brands.
Old 16 June 2018, 08:18 PM   #21
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
That's strange. Buffalo is teeming with watch enthusiasts. I can't swing a cat without scratching a PP or a VC!

Just kidding :-)

I guess we're a dwindling breed who are old school, and somehow came to appreciate these fascinating little machines that were important parts of people's lives a couple of generations ago.

It does seem odd that the social and professional circles you run with don't include at least a few like-minded enthusiasts. It's not often that I come across colleagues who enjoy fine watches, but there are a couple. I guess it takes time.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:27 PM   #22
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
Yea we are a weird cult.
Kinda like it that way.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:33 PM   #23
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Same here in Indy but at least my service writer at BMW shares my interest and has a good collection of expensive watches.
Old 16 June 2018, 11:34 PM   #24
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Exactly my point I've been saying for years. Nobody gives a crap about watches. I've gotten far more notices/compliments on my fitbit than any watch I've ever owned.

I remember one time in a restaurant when a waitress starting oohing and aahing over my wife's watch...some sort of fashion watch, and I was sitting there wearing a PM Rolex. Go figure.

Which always makes me wonder about all these threads about what watch should I wear? Nobody knows or cares...make yourself happy.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 11:44 PM   #25
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
I live in a large UK city that is fairly poor, but in the wealthy suburbs it is fairly common to spot Rolex on a night out - but I would never comment or speak to the individual so have no idea if they are WIS.

I'm not sure I am - I couldn't think of anything worse than going to a gathering of people to talk about watches.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 12:53 AM   #26
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I live in SF and wear decent watches. SF is home to many high end collectors as are probably all large cities in the US.

There are enough collectors in this region that even small independents will come out to show their stuff.

Talk to your AD and let them know you want to go to any marketing events. I've met Jake from Jake's Rolex Watch Blog at a couple Panerai events over the years and you can meet local collectors for whatever tier level you're looking at.

Another option is to go with a higher end but small volume AD like Stephen Silver at Palo Alto. If you end up buying an AP, FPJ, RM, LF, etc... from them you'll probably end up at dinners with local collectors.

Check out the GTG section on this forum, people do meet in the Bay Area. I haven't been to a GTG from this forum but generally I'm able to go to maybe two or so events/year in this area.

I probably only wear a watch maybe 4-5 days a week depending on what I'm doing. If I'm going to get sweaty or something walking through town or I have to move my desk or something I'm not going to wear a Patek.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 01:00 AM   #27
richard371
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. Maybe I’ll call up Shreve and see when their next Basel show is. Went last year and had a blast meeting people and talking watches. Also only chance to see the new releases from Rolex lol.
Old 17 June 2018, 01:04 AM   #28
MinMay
Banned

Now, just imagine when all of us are no longer around on this planet, no one else would demand for Rolex.... We shall see.

The majority of the Asian population loves luxury item in today's generation. Who knows if the millennium will be interested in Rolex....more of them are into electronic health gadget and iwatch.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 01:12 AM   #29
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
I'm in the motor trade and there are plenty of watch nuts around .

Motor trade and nice watches pretty much go hand in hand I find..
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 01:13 AM   #30
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

We don’t wear disposable watches. We invest in mechanical masterpieces that are timeless.
It is the same with fine art. It’s a investment in culture, style and quality of living. The technworld moves too fast to appreciate anything that is timeless or mechanical. There are lots of pockets on the east coast that mechanical watches are king. They may not know much about them but they tend to be the standard in certain social enviorments. This time of year in upscale beach communities, the mechanical dive watch is king.