The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 June 2018, 11:13 PM   #421
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Botching a single save, vs. not creating scoring chances at all over the course of 90 minutes
He attempted 11 shots on goal vs Iceland, but none hit the back of the net. He also assisted in several other attempts, such as the play that created the penalty, which he missed.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:27 PM   #422
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
He attempted 11 shots on goal vs Iceland, but none hit the back of the net. He also assisted in several other attempts, such as the play that created the penalty, which he missed.
Did he 'miss' that penalty or did the keeper 'save' that penalty?

but anyways, enough bickering about that. Good game in progress right now!
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:35 PM   #423
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
I don't have Argentina beating Croatia. But let's see. Some great games on today
Old 21 June 2018, 11:40 PM   #424
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Ok, ok, I'm a fan. But couldn't resist posting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-06-20 at 13.03.30.jpeg (219.2 KB, 60 views)
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:44 PM   #425
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ II 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Will England be going home the first round again?

I bet England to top the group actually...and a second for Belgium to top it in my accumulator...just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProdigalGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:47 PM   #426
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
I was at my doctor's office yesterday afternoon and watched the match between Russia and Egypt while the doctor wasted my time by taking forever talking to the drug rep when I could have been at the market up the road enjoying the worlds best handmade milkshake!!
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:10 AM   #427
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I'm going to reserve judgement until the group stages are over. It shouldn't affect a player of Messi's caliber, but still, first game jitters are a real thing.....especially when you have the weight he does on his shoulders. If he doesn't have a better showing than that first game though, yes, I will consider him a bit choking. This is his last real hoorah, he's got to make a larger impact than lst week.

I don’t say Ronaldo is better than Messi based on this tournament, I say it based on everything. Because Messi is unwilling to come to the Premier League and be properly tested for time that goes against him massively. Ronaldo did it, and flourished.. unfortunately will will never know if Messi could do the same

TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:12 AM   #428
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
I don’t say Ronaldo is better than Messi based on this tournament, I say it based on everything. Because Messi is unwilling to come to the Premier League and be properly tested for time that goes against him massively. Ronaldo did it, and flourished.. unfortunately will will never know if Messi could do the same

I also, personally feel, it was a mistake to only showcase his skills at Barcelona. Full agreement It's a COMPLETELY different play style, EPL to La Liga
Old 22 June 2018, 12:13 AM   #429
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
How come you can do that with Messi for not scoring one goal in one match, but when I questioned De Gea's performance versus Switzerland and Portugal (4 goals combined), and who's NOT a top ten GK of all time, you basically called me crazy.

Just want to bring that out in the light to ponder.

De Gea is probably the best GK in Europe if not the world at the moment. He literally saves Man United’s ass last season. Their player of the match almost every game. I would go as far as to say that he is every bit as valuable to United as any outfield player.

Old 22 June 2018, 12:42 AM   #430
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
De Gea is probably the best GK in Europe if not the world at the moment. He literally saves Man United’s ass last season. Their player of the match almost every game. I would go as far as to say that he is every bit as valuable to United as any outfield player.

Agreed. He was certainly the best player on that Man U team for many games. I'm also a big fan of Navas - I don't think he gets nearly enough credit (especially with the horrendous RM defense of last season) and I cringe every time I hear a rumor of RM going after another goalkeeper
Old 22 June 2018, 01:23 AM   #431
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Let’s be honest, why would Messi leave Barca?

You could argue it might harm his legacy - personally I doubt that very much. But Barca and Real Madrid are the two most prestigious clubs in the World bar none. Messi earns as much as Ronaldo (Cristiano’s image rights make him a bit more because he doesn’t look like an adolescent gnome), has won multiple league and CL trophies at club level, speaks Spanish and, no offence to Northerners, lives in a much nicer place than Cheshire.

Ronaldo only played in England because Fergie plucked him from Sporting Lisbon, partly on the back of Ronaldo playing like a beast against United in a friendly. Fergie told Portuguese (and now Iran) coach Carlos Quieroz to sign him. Ronaldo very nearly joined Arsenal at that time - it was luck he ended up at ManU and had Real come for him in 2004, he’d probably never have played in the PL.

Put another way, how many Barca/Real first team players choose to leave for the PL? Would anyone here choose to leave their company for a less prestigious one that doesn’t pay any more, where the weather is worse and you don’t speak the lingo?
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:03 AM   #432
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Let’s be honest, why would Messi leave Barca?

You could argue it might harm his legacy - personally I doubt that very much. But Barca and Real Madrid are the two most prestigious clubs in the World bar none. Messi earns as much as Ronaldo (Cristiano’s image rights make him a bit more because he doesn’t look like an adolescent gnome), has won multiple league and CL trophies at club level, speaks Spanish and, no offence to Northerners, lives in a much nicer place than Cheshire.

Ronaldo only played in England because Fergie plucked him from Sporting Lisbon, partly on the back of Ronaldo playing like a beast against United in a friendly. Fergie told Portuguese (and now Iran) coach Carlos Quieroz to sign him. Ronaldo very nearly joined Arsenal at that time - it was luck he ended up at ManU and had Real come for him in 2004, he’d probably never have played in the PL.

Put another way, how many Barca/Real first team players choose to leave for the PL? Would anyone here choose to leave their company for a less prestigious one that doesn’t pay any more, where the weather is worse and you don’t speak the lingo?

Why would they choose to leave to play in England when they have it easy in Spain? It’s a no brainer to stay there where it’s way less competitive.
I think if pay determines if someone is the best or not then all the best players are playing in China haha

Old 22 June 2018, 02:55 AM   #433
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Feel bad for Peru. I think they played two more than decent games. But alas, this is football. Excited for Argentina - Croatia.
Old 22 June 2018, 03:06 AM   #434
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
The PL and La Liga now defer to the Champions League which is the tournament to win, and there Messi and Ronaldo have done outstandingly well and that is a tie, but where they are so different is how they play and influence their country and so far Ronaldo is far ahead, not so much in performance but in results, which is all that matters at the day's end. If Messi gets a WC then he goes above Ronaldo, if not then he probably doesn't, esp if ordinary Portugal go further than talented Argentina.

Where there is no debate is that Maradona not only was the most skilful player of recent times but he also won Argentina a WC and nearly two, and, maybe until Bale, scored the best goal of all time... and the bloody worst in the same match!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 03:59 AM   #435
KBM

Another promising match starting right now. Let's go!
Old 22 June 2018, 05:14 AM   #436
KBM

Goooooaaalllll!!!!!!
Old 22 June 2018, 05:15 AM   #437
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Argentina just choked a big one.
What was he thinking?
123Blueface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 05:16 AM   #438
AK797
Banned

What a dreadful game, Argentina Croatia is like a park game, braindead defending and horrendous finishing... Messi needs to really step up now and take hold of this game. As soon as he missed that early half-chance the first thing I thought was, Ronaldo would have scored that.
Old 22 June 2018, 05:22 AM   #439
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

The official FIFA World Cup 2018 thread

Let’s learn some Spanish!

Caballerar- to f&$k up. Monumentally.

Yo caballero la copa mundial por Argentina.

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 05:23 AM   #440
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
Did I just see a shot of Maradona pulling a Schwarzkopf?
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 05:42 AM   #441
KBM

Wowwwwww 2x0!!!
Old 22 June 2018, 05:52 AM   #442
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
3-0 Croatia over Argentina. And the last goal was painful to watch.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 05:54 AM   #443
dmash
"TRF" Member

Wowowowowow

ICELAND IS GOING TO GO THROUGH THIS YEAR TOO
Old 22 June 2018, 05:55 AM   #444
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ II 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
What a dreadful game, Argentina Croatia is like a park game, braindead defending and horrendous finishing... Messi needs to really step up now and take hold of this game. As soon as he missed that early half-chance the first thing I thought was, Ronaldo would have scored that.

The moment Messi missed the penalty in the first game, I place a group winner accumulator in Croatia to top the group!

As for Ronaldo, I have each way win outright for Portugal.

I think Portugal might do back to back European and now World Cup before he retires.

Messi just can’t carry the Maradona weight!

ProdigalGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 05:57 AM   #445
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
What the heck just happened !!!

Wow.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 22 June 2018, 06:09 AM   #446
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Haha I'm enjoying this as much as anything
Old 22 June 2018, 06:25 AM   #447
AK797
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalGil View Post
The moment Messi missed the penalty in the first game, I place a group winner accumulator in Croatia to top the group!

As for Ronaldo, I have each way win outright for Portugal.

I think Portugal might do back to back European and now World Cup before he retires.

Messi just can’t carry the Maradona weight!

Croatian midfield looks good but then they didn't really have an opposition for some mad reason.

Messi just doesn't have it, yes he was surrounded by donkeys, but best player in the world? On that performance he's not even the best player in my house.
Old 22 June 2018, 06:27 AM   #448
AK797
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
Did I just see a shot of Maradona pulling a Schwarzkopf?
£65K on each wrist I believe. He don't believe in no GMT watch.
Old 22 June 2018, 06:27 AM   #449
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Croatian midfield looks good but then they didn't really have an opposition for some mad reason.

Messi just doesn't have it, yes he was surrounded by donkeys, but best player in the world? On that performance he's not even the best player in my house.
He's REALLY underwhelming. He's always had that kind of defensive flocking on him, in every game he's played. The only difference being that last game and this one.....these are not even top tier, million dollar contract defenders. Is he on something? WTF, this is insane. He is making ZILCH happen.
Old 22 June 2018, 06:30 AM   #450
AK797
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
He's REALLY underwhelming. He's always had that kind of defensive flocking on him, in every game he's played. The only difference being that last game and this one.....these are not even top tier, million dollar contract defenders. Is he on something? WTF, this is insane. He is making ZILCH happen.
He's not hungry enough. I was afraid he was mentally weak after the first game, and previous tourneys, but had to give him the benefit of the doubt, but in this game he just disappeared, he should have dropped into midfield and been the creator for Aguero and Higuain, but God knows what he and the coach are thinking.