The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 July 2018, 07:33 PM   #1
torrente
"TRF" Member

60s Calatrava service

Hello, my father received this Calatrava as engagement gift in the 60s, he has never serviced it and he only wears it like 2 or 3 times per year for special occasions.
I would appreciate a recommendation about how to service it and idea of the service price, I asume that doing it with PP service center will be quite expensive but not sure how risky would be to do it with an independent watchmaker.

Thank you!
torrente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 09:52 PM   #2
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
As a collector of vintage pieces, I have had many watches serviced. All have gone back to Geneva due to their age. The price on a manual wind is about 12-1500 USD. I currently have a 60's Auto w/date. The service plus work on the case (bent lug and deep scratches to be laser filled) will be $2500 USD. The price is not a problem as I know the watch will be perfect upon return, the larger issue is 38 weeks.

I know the temptation of using a local watchmaker however, I fear the use on Non-Patek parts and thus have never gone that route.

Good luck, let us know what you decide?
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 10:47 PM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree with ^^^^^ , please send to Patek for service. Considering the age of the watch, a proper service from the factory truly is the best way to go imho to 'reset' her to proper condition.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 03:09 AM   #4
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
If it requires any parts, seals come to mind, only PP service center has those. One thing is oil, by now it’s longed dried. Again PP for the oil change. I would suggest not wearing it until i’s serviced. If your father rarely wore it, worn parts, if any, should be negligible.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 09:12 PM   #5
torrente
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the answers.

It seems that my father is not wanting to invest in having it serviced and he will continue to use it in special occasions. I asume that if on day it stops probably it will be more expensive to repair it than to service it now :-(

I have checked that the asking price of this piece in Chrono24 is around 8,000$, considering the price of the new Calatravas and that is full gold bracelet and vintage I was expecting a higher price. I asume that this style is not fashionable now...
torrente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 11:44 PM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately vintage Calatravas are not in big demand on the secondary market, unless they were made in a different metal (not YG). Also watches were made quite smaller in the 60s and most "collectible" Calatravas tend to fall in the 35mm and larger category.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 09:44 PM   #7
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
The cost of service by waiting really will not be any more expensive (appreciably) then send it in now. If the watch runs and keeps time, and you not looking to invest $$$$ now, wear it in good health! I would service the watch when it is noticeably not keeping correct time. My 60's Auto/date was losing 2-3 hours/day. (time for service!)

As far as value is concerned, It appears to be a manual wind with integrated bracelet. Although currently these integrated bracelet watches are not commanding a premium price. I think that $8,000 asking price is overpriced. These watches will trade in the 4-6k range. Although as nice as yours is....$8k many not be out of the realm of possibility.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 10:34 PM   #8
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
The cost of service by waiting really will not be any more expensive (appreciably) then send it in now.

I agree except if the parts seize-up. There is a risk of a failed seal allowing major problems if any mildew or corrosion sets up inside the movement while it sits at rest for extended periods of time. This could render many parts unserviceable and a more costly repair to replace them.

So for the OP: if your Dad still wants to wear it occasionally, maybe just store it in a way to avoid damage from any future (or present) seal failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 10:48 PM   #9
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I would get it serviced at PP later assuming you inherit it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote