The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 1 February 2019, 03:38 AM   #1
reedzpainter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5508
Icon5 Minute hand sticking on Datejust 1603

Before shipping off to RSC or a watchmaker - I thought I'd throw a question out there about some strange behaviour my 1603's 1570 movement is exhibiting. It has been in fine running order until quite suddenly I'm getting minute hand stick points where the time will pause, yet the second hand continues to run.
This seems to happen at two times throughout the hour cycle; 23 minutes and 40 minutes.
Can anybody diagnose what's going on here and whether this is a job for Rolex or a qualified watchmaker?

Cheers and thank you!
reedzpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 03:26 AM   #2
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
To accurately determine what the problem could be, I will need to ask a couple of questions first.

Does it happen when the watch is running normally or you are setting the time? Does it do it every hour or is it random? How long will it 'stop' for?

Ashton
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 06:29 AM   #3
reedzpainter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Horologist View Post
To accurately determine what the problem could be, I will need to ask a couple of questions first.

Does it happen when the watch is running normally or you are setting the time? Does it do it every hour or is it random? How long will it 'stop' for?

Ashton
It happens when the watch is running. The stick points for the minute hand are at 23 and 40 minutes over the course of the hour. Sometimes the minute hand will un-stick itself and carry on its way, or just stay put. Very occasionally it will keep time for some hours before the issue rears up again.

Thanks Ashton
Old 5 February 2019, 07:15 AM   #4
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedzpainter View Post
The stick points for the minute hand are at 23 and 40 minutes over the course of the hour.
Thanks Ashton
I don't entirely understand what you mean by this statement. However, that is definitely odd behavior. Without seeing the seeing the watch I am not sure what the fault would be.

One thing is for certain though, the watch is definitely in need of intervention and a good overhaul.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 12:23 PM   #5
h_curtis
"TRF" Member

You are close to this man and that is who I would send it to. Guys been fixing watches since like 1972. Read my posts here. My watch was in much worse shape and now it is like new after years from his service. Enjoy!
https://www.watchdoctor.biz
h_curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 05:30 AM   #6
reedzpainter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You are close to this man and that is who I would send it to. Guys been fixing watches since like 1972. Read my posts here. My watch was in much worse shape and now it is like new after years from his service. Enjoy!
https://www.watchdoctor.biz

Thanks for the info/link - I was able to go very local and I’m sure the watch will be brought back to tip top.