The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 April 2019, 02:18 AM   #31
LadyMuck
"TRF" Member

OMG thank you all for replying. I really appreciate it. Like I say I’m a classic/conservative dresser. I never ever wear sports wear/trainers (sneakers). I’m always in heels. I’ve got my Michael Kors 39mm & actually hate the size/weight on my wrist as it’s so bulky! If I go out in a dress etc I want my watch to be more ladylike.

My heart was always saying 31mm but hubby just wants me to have the biggest watch for my wrist that I can get away with. He’s not into watches at all.

The SA (who’s in her early 20’s) thought the 36mm filled my wrist better & is easier to resale if I needed to as it’s unisex. Of course the 36mm is more £££ than the 31mm. The 36mm to me looked more casual/sporty “of the moment”. It’s not much smaller than my Michael Kors. You could barely see the jubilee bracelet from the top as the dial/lugs filled all the space.

I just want a classy watch that ‘s practical to see the time & something I would wear equally with skinny jeans/t-shirt/blazer + heels or pop on a little black dress for date night & the watch isn’t screaming “look at my watch”.

I’m terrified to spend best part of £10k & make a mistake as I know resale values on ladies Rolex is dire 😕😕😕
LadyMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 02:36 AM   #32
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I think some may have missed your wrist size is 7.25 inches. I think a 36mm would fit best and still look plenty small on you. 36mm looks tiny on my 7.5 inch wrist.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 03:10 AM   #33
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I have a feeling that the lady pictured has more of a "notice me!" style, in general, than the OP. Hence, what works with her overall style won't necessarily be appealing to the OP.

I rest my case.

Unfortunately the 34mm models are available exclusively in stainless/Oyster bracelet (Date) or gold/platinum (Pearlmaster).

FWIW, I think that 31mm is going to be more to the OP's liking overall. Trendiness seems of little concern, and until about 15-20 years ago, 31 would have been considered "large" for a ladies' watch (back in the day, I believe Rolex marketed 31mm as "midsize").

My wife wears a 34mm Oyster Perpetual at 5'9, and thought 36mm looked way too big on her. It's also worth noting that a TT Jubilee bracelet and light colored dial will wear a bit larger and more noticeable than many similarly sized counterparts.

For ladies, 31 may or may not be a trendy size, but there is virtually zero risk of it ever looking dated.

I agree, however, she does have a 7.25” wrist!

That’s pretty substantial.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 03:25 AM   #34
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
We’re the same height and wrist size. I own a 32, 34 & 36mm. I wear the 32 with a leather band daily because it’s light. The 34SS for everyday work. The 36 DJ TT for dress/formal.

People forget how heavy the 36DJ TT is. There’s more gold than you think.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 06:46 AM   #35
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I think some may have missed your wrist size is 7.25 inches. I think a 36mm would fit best and still look plenty small on you. 36mm looks tiny on my 7.5 inch wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
I agree, however, she does have a 7.25” wrist!

That’s pretty substantial.
I've always been of the opinion that

1. Hand size matters more than wrist size in this regard, particularly in determining whether a watch is too small.

2. Wrist circumference is like BMI: it tells you something general, but "wrist composition" (i.e. wide and fairly flat vs. narrow and fairly thick) is more telling.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 07:16 AM   #36
LadyMuck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
We’re the same height and wrist size. I own a 32, 34 & 36mm. I wear the 32 with a leather band daily because it’s light. The 34SS for everyday work. The 36 DJ TT for dress/formal.

People forget how heavy the 36DJ TT is. There’s more gold than you think.

If you were only ever to own one Rolex from your collection that was to be worn daily & for dress/formal, which size would you buy?
Old 9 April 2019, 07:46 AM   #37
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

I'll add weight as an issue to consider as well as size when selecting a watch.

Submariner is 135 - 137 grams (sources vary) or 4.8 oz
DJ TT 36MM 116233 is 128 grams or 4.5 oz

Not sure what the 31mm weighs? Maybe 95 grams?
Old 9 April 2019, 07:58 AM   #38
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMuck View Post
If you were only ever to own one Rolex from your collection that was to be worn daily & for dress/formal, which size would you buy?
One thing to consider: I think the poster you responded to is a man (name in info says "Dan") and even at the exact same size and proportions, what watch works on a man vs. on a lady may vary.

Perhaps return to the store and take a few wrist shots to share here?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 07:58 AM   #39
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The reason I have three is so I don't have to make that decision. But I can say that I wear the 32mm Cellini 5112 18K 80% of the time. Good luck!!!
Old 9 April 2019, 08:01 AM   #40
Marlboro.
Banned

The 31mm is far more elegant and classical, especially if you wish to wear it with formal dress-wear. A classic looking watch should be more discrete and not on the large size.

"More presence" just means it is more noticeable, which may conflict with your more conservative dress style. The 36mm may also feel similar in weight to the Michael Kors due to the heavier gold in the bracelet, so I don't believe it would be a daintier option.
Marlboro. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 08:04 AM   #41
shapa
"TRF" Member

36mm for sure. It has a better presence and gives the watch great versatility.

Do not buy the 31mm. You will regret it.
shapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 08:07 AM   #42
delboylee
"TRF" Member

I think it's all relative, try both on and take a few close up and full body pics so you can judge. 31mm is more feminine, I see more and more ladies wearing 36mm nowadays.
delboylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 08:52 AM   #43
R!$
Banned

28mm is the most feminine but since you told everyone your body size and height then perhaps you should go for the 31mm
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 04:06 PM   #44
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I've always been of the opinion that

1. Hand size matters more than wrist size in this regard, particularly in determining whether a watch is too small.

2. Wrist circumference is like BMI: it tells you something general, but "wrist composition" (i.e. wide and fairly flat vs. narrow and fairly thick) is more telling.

Thats true.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 04:47 PM   #45
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
It’s clear there are 2 different camps here.
I’d try them both and pick which one you prefer. I wouldn’t over analyse it too much.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 05:54 PM   #46
bezler
"TRF" Member

Go for the 31. That's a classic size, and timeless - it will always look great no matter how the fashions swing in the wretch community. It's perfect for you and your stated goals.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 9 April 2019, 06:59 PM   #47
watchprenuer
"TRF" Member

36mm
watchprenuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 07:06 PM   #48
glamorama
"TRF" Member

My wife was torn between 31 and 36mm, said she would really like something in between. So the salesman pulled out a Date 34mm with fluted bezel and diamond dial. When she put it on the wrist she instantly knew that was the one. That model does not come on jubilee.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 07:40 PM   #49
LadyMuck
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your input. I need to clarify that this Rolex purchase will be my only ever watch. I won’t be able to afford different Rolex’s for different occasions. This is why it’s so important to get it right.

To answer some of your questions. I have average size ladies hands. I defo don’t have manly sized hands. My hands are a lot smaller than my husbands, although I’ve tried on his watch (metal bracelet - non Rolex) & he has marginally slightly larger wrists.

I regularly have manicures. I suppose you’d say I was a girly girl. I’m just very wary that the 36mm on ladies is “Trendy” or for a more casual/sportier look & too similar in size/weight to my Michael Kors which I’ve fallen out of love with.

I’m back at AD on Monday who has ordered in 3 watches for me. 2 are the 36mm (TT yellow gold jubilee, both with diamond dot markers, one has a white dial, the other a silver dial). The 3rd watch is exactly the same configuration as the 36mm but in the 31mm silver diamond dot dial.

As a side note. On the 31mm/36mm they’ve now discontinued the hidden clasp & replaced it with a horrible easylock highly visible clasp. IMO it looks hideous on the jubilee bracelet. The 3 watches I’m going into try are the last of the discontinued hidden clasp which I love.

This is why I’m urgently trying to decide as the hidden clasp element is now discontinued in the brand new DJ’s that I’ve been dreaming about for years.
Old 9 April 2019, 09:30 PM   #50
bronzeband00
Banned

36mm should fit in just right
bronzeband00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 11:34 PM   #51
mcstones
"TRF" Member

36mm.
mcstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 12:02 AM   #52
Maiden
"TRF" Member

You answered your own question in your original post. Your heart is with the 31mm. Its your watch, get what YOU want. I assure you despite all the opinions here, no is going to look at you and think your watch is way to small. All these threads are nonsense in a way, my wife wanted a Rolex, I let her pick, she has average sized wrists and is fairly tall. I thought for sure she would pick a 31. You know what she chose a 26MM!! and it looks great, totally her.

So get what YOU love and tune out what all of us think. Good luck and post the pics when you make your aquisition.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 12:09 AM   #53
Marlboro.
Banned

Larger watches is the current trend for younger women as you said, 36mm was historically a men's watch although now it is more unisex. 31mm is a much more timeless design for a lady rather than a big bulky watch relative to the wrist size.
Marlboro. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 12:11 AM   #54
Tag_asian
"TRF" Member

You’re the one wearing it and not the hubby. Go for what you want-the 31.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tag_asian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 02:50 AM   #55
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Wearing a huge watch like a bangle may be a very Hollywood or “I’m 23 and so very hip” look, but the classic sizes are feminine, classy, and timeless.

My wife prefers the 26mm or 31mm. If she wants to look trendy, she might go crazy and wear a 35mm Pasha C, but it would never be an every day look for her.

You’re leaning 31mm; I’d trust your instincts.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 03:26 AM   #56
WV2019
"TRF" Member

When you put on the right one you will just know it. Take your time at the AD. It’s very hard to predict how a watch will wear and feel until you do it in person IMO. I spent many many many hours (for years) looking online before I got my first Rolex and I’d say 1 minute wearing one you are interested in will tell you more than 100 hours online.

Also- You can’t go wrong with any you have considered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WV2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 03:40 AM   #57
SLSteve
"TRF" Member

Flip a coin. Heads for 31mm, tails for 36mm. Once it's landed, you'll know which one you really want.

By the way, I too like 36mm the most. Honestly, I would even love it if my gf wore an 41mm DJII. Never gonna happen though. She needs to wear what she wants, not what I want.

And that goes for you as well. We already read your heart is with the 31mm. So take that one. It doesn't matter what the rest thinks. It matters that you are happy!
SLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 03:44 AM   #58
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

This is why I’m urgently trying to decide as the hidden clasp element is now discontinued in the brand new DJ’s that I’ve been dreaming about for years.[/QUOTE]

You can always look at gently used Rolexes that have what you are looking for with the hidden clasp. This forum has some excellent sellers like David SW that can find you what you want at a bargain. I'm sure that there are also great re-sellers in the UK. You'll be surprised at the price point on gently used TT DJ's. With the money left over you can purchase a 34mm or 36mm Rolex should you desire.

Of course a New Rolex is personal. I've purchased both new and used. After three months their all used.

Good luck.
Old 10 April 2019, 03:46 AM   #59
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

As a side note. On the 31mm/36mm they’ve now discontinued the hidden clasp & replaced it with a horrible easylock highly visible clasp. IMO it looks hideous on the jubilee bracelet. The 3 watches I’m going into try are the last of the discontinued hidden clasp which I love.
Absolutely agree ...the super jubilee was awesome .

My wife got a 36mmDJ/super jubilee /blue diamond dial/diamond bezel .AD warned last available stock with super jubilee.

Go 36mm.All my wife wears and she has tiny wrists.Looks great on the wrist
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 03:59 AM   #60
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

7.25” = 36mm in my humble opinion.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote