The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2019, 04:18 AM   #61
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Hi op

Spend some time in the shop trying the two different sizes. Don't take your husband...
Old 10 April 2019, 04:48 AM   #62
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi op

Spend some time in the shop trying the two different sizes. Don't take your husband...

Good tip, there.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 06:20 AM   #63
LadyMuck
"TRF" Member

Cheers for all of your comments. I’m going back to AD on Monday without my husband to look at the 3 watches I’ve mentioned earlier. Fingers crossed I’ll be walking out of the AD with the watch on my wrist that I’d always dreamed of. ������
LadyMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 06:41 AM   #64
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMuck View Post
Cheers for all of your comments. I’m going back to AD on Monday without my husband to look at the 3 watches I’ve mentioned earlier. Fingers crossed I’ll be walking out of the AD with the watch on my wrist that I’d always dreamed of. ������
And remember to post pics!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 07:57 AM   #65
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi op

Good point.
That is unless the OP values his opinion above her own gut instincts
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 08:00 AM   #66
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are most fortunate to be able to see them at a dealer.
In some locations it's becoming near impossible these days.
Especially now that the Super Jubilee bracelet is not available.
Old 10 April 2019, 08:05 AM   #67
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You have a sizable wrist. Mine is 6.5 inches and 36mm is perfect on me. It really boils down to what you like. I am not a fan of larger dress watches on woman. In your case I would recommend a Submariner. You can easily pull that off and far more interesting. Otherwise, for a dress watch get the 31mm.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 10:17 AM   #68
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
You are most fortunate to be able to see them at a dealer.
In some locations it's becoming near impossible these days.
Especially now that the Super Jubilee bracelet is not available.
Was going to ask: Is this version more likely to be discounted, since it's also the old case/movement, or will it be more difficult to get below MSRP because of limited supplies and an interest in the Super Jubilee?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 12:01 PM   #69
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
As an only piece, I believe the 31mm is more suitable, especially in a business environment and with conservative dress. IMO, a 36mm is leaning more towards a fashionable look versus the classic and timeless character of a 31mm.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 12:06 PM   #70
Geaux Tigers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date
My wife has small wrist and loves her 31mm.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 01:04 PM   #71
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
This is why I’m urgently trying to decide as the hidden clasp element is now discontinued in the brand new DJ’s that I’ve been dreaming about for years.
You can always look at gently used Rolexes that have what you are looking for with the hidden clasp. This forum has some excellent sellers like David SW that can find you what you want at a bargain. I'm sure that there are also great re-sellers in the UK. You'll be surprised at the price point on gently used TT DJ's. With the money left over you can purchase a 34mm or 36mm Rolex should you desire.

Of course a New Rolex is personal. I've purchased both new and used. After three months their all used.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, we all wear a used watch.

To the OP, you don’t sound flamboyant, I would go with the 31, sounds like you’re leaning that way. Otherwise you’ll feel like you’re wearing a man’s watch. My wife isn’t tiny and loves her 31 DJ. Funny you don’t care for the Easylink, my wife never uses hers.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 02:00 PM   #72
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Go to the AD and try them on. See them in the mirror, and bring a friend or significant other with you as well. You’ll find one speaking more to you!
Old 10 April 2019, 02:20 PM   #73
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
You could easily wear a 36mm, based upon wrist size but, a 31 will look more feminine (sorry to stereotype). The tendency swings both ways, depending on your individual style. I’ve seen numerous women with 40mm daytona or exp 39. My gf is size 10 uk and quite dainty, however, she wore my 40mm exp II for almost 3 yrs. She later fancied a more feminine (smaller) piece and tried the 28, 31 and 36. She went for the 31 DJ, white dial roman. Again, it entirely depends on if you prefer to dress very feminine or, you dress more casually frequently. My GF still wishes to use the 40mm when shes in a t-shirt/jeans mood. Hope that helps and welcome to the forum.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 02:35 PM   #74
kalo925
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD50, PAM-690
7.25" wrist.. 36 mm for sure! Will look great! Consider a 36mm explorer?

kalo925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 02:46 PM   #75
Soultime
"TRF" Member

I am assuming you are having to travel to the mainland to get the watch (Liverpool?)
Dont expect there is an AD on IOM?

And perhaps you are looking for a black/white decision. When in fact sometimes wewring the smaller watch is more appropriate.....and other times the larger.
No right or wrong answer.

Enjoy it - whichever you choose.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 07:46 PM   #76
trelane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Series 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro. View Post
Larger watches is the current trend for younger women as you said, 36mm was historically a men's watch although now it is more unisex. 31mm is a much more timeless design for a lady rather than a big bulky watch relative to the wrist size.

My wife has 2 36 DJs. She wants a DD40 or Daytona next lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Movado Museum Sport
trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 08:47 PM   #77
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Someone else just posted in another thread the 31 his wife got. Here's the thread for reference

Bought My Wife Her First Watch - Rolex Datejust 31
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 09:49 PM   #78
majorleon
"TRF" Member

I will go for the 36mm.
majorleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 03:48 AM   #79
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Was going to ask: Is this version more likely to be discounted, since it's also the old case/movement, or will it be more difficult to get below MSRP because of limited supplies and an interest in the Super Jubilee?
As to discounts. It's hard to say.
There are mixed reports around this issue with some people saying that there are no further discounts as per Rolex's instructions.
The reality is it all comes down to your negotiating skills and the situation on the day and how the sales assistant is resonating with you.
My wife leaves all negotiations on price to me as her experience is mostly limited to buying things when they are advertised on specials
But a discount of some description is not inconceivable.
It doesn't hurt to ask in the nicest possible way if they have some room to move on the asking price as you are looking around at other watches as well. Without going into specifics of course.
What's the worst that can happen? They tell you in the very nicest possible way that they can't discount on the piece
So you've got to pay the full wack-up. It happens

All I can say is I have had broadly mixed results when buying Rolex watches but never paid over the retail price
Old 11 April 2019, 06:21 AM   #80
LadyMuck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultime View Post
I am assuming you are having to travel to the mainland to get the watch (Liverpool?)
Dont expect there is an AD on IOM?

And perhaps you are looking for a black/white decision. When in fact sometimes wewring the smaller watch is more appropriate.....and other times the larger.
No right or wrong answer.

Enjoy it - whichever you choose.

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply. I’m actually flying into Manchester & going to Mappin & Webb AD. You’re correct no AD here on Isle of Man. I suppose I am looking for a black/white solution as the watch is best part of £10k. I doubt I’d ever buy more than one Rolex so I need it to dress up or wear casually with jeans.

I must admit I’m leaning more to the 31mm as it’s a classic/not as gaudy on me as the 36mm. The 36mm feels like the watch is doing all the talking, screaming “look at me” whereas I just want to quietly go about my business & have appreciative nods of approval that I’m wearing a lovely watch. I don’t want to spend £10k on a “trendy/fashion” watch. For that I’m happy with my £200 Michael Kors.

My main concern was that proportionally by buying the 31mm with my 7 1/4 wrist that I’d bought too small a dial watch. A bit like trying to squeeze into clothes that others can see looks 2 sizes too small for me & looks tacky.

I was just doubting myself as the SA thinks the 36mm suits my wrist better (she sells them for a living, so surely she’d be the expert of which looks better). As for my husband, he’s not in the least bit “into” watches. He just thinks that we’ve got a budget of £10k so buy the biggest watch for maximum impact.
Old 11 April 2019, 01:19 PM   #81
lanzhou
"TRF" Member

36 looks fit but you may try a 34

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk
lanzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 03:09 PM   #82
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi thanks for taking the time to reply. I’m actually flying into Manchester & going to Mappin & Webb AD. You’re correct no AD here on Isle of Man. I suppose I am looking for a black/white solution as the watch is best part of £10k. I doubt I’d ever buy more than one Rolex so I need it to dress up or wear casually with jeans.

I must admit I’m leaning more to the 31mm as it’s a classic/not as gaudy on me as the 36mm. The 36mm feels like the watch is doing all the talking, screaming “look at me” whereas I just want to quietly go about my business & have appreciative nods of approval that I’m wearing a lovely watch. I don’t want to spend £10k on a “trendy/fashion” watch. For that I’m happy with my £200 Michael Kors.

My main concern was that proportionally by buying the 31mm with my 7 1/4 wrist that I’d bought too small a dial watch. A bit like trying to squeeze into clothes that others can see looks 2 sizes too small for me & looks tacky.

I was just doubting myself as the SA thinks the 36mm suits my wrist better (she sells them for a living, so surely she’d be the expert of which looks better). As for my husband, he’s not in the least bit “into” watches. He just thinks that we’ve got a budget of £10k so buy the biggest watch for maximum impact.
I hope the trip to Mcr goes well and you are happy with your choice. As I say, there may not be a right or wrong here.

I know IOM quite well from back in the day. Used to have relatives in Ramsey. Lovely island. I miss my trips there.

Any Road up, I wasn't going to chip in.... But.... My own personal opinion would be the 36mm. I don't think it will shout out to people as much as you think and you will soon get used to the size.
A Rolex DJ on Jubilee is timeless, classic and elegant and therefore not as LOUD as most fashion watches.

My Mrs is quite small (about 5f 4in / size 8) and she wears a 35mm Yacht Master.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 09:54 PM   #83
sobe991
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
31mm
sobe991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 04:38 AM   #84
LadyMuck
"TRF" Member

Hi Guys, just an update. I went to AD again today here in UK (without husband) to try on the 3 watches. 2 x 36mm Datejusts in TT jubilee, yellow gold, fluted bezel & diamond markers. One dial In white & the other in silver. I also tried on the 31mm exactly the same configuration as the 36mm’s but with the silver dial.

It was a no brainer I’ve come away with my 1st ever Rolex in the 31mm. I know it’s a cliched configuration, but I wanted my 1st & possibly only Rolex to be timeless. I just want to say, it’s stunning! I know buying brand new from AD is foolish £££ wise but I wanted the pretty woman experience ie champers et al & made to feel a million dollars.

I’m now sitting in Manchester airport waiting to fly home with my new watch proudly sitting atop my wrist.

Thanks for all your input. I’m proud to say I’ve just officially joined the Rolex club.

Last edited by LadyMuck; 16 April 2019 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Add picture
Old 16 April 2019, 04:43 AM   #85
Marlboro.
Banned

Quote:
Hi Guys, just an update. I went to AD again today here in UK (without husband) to try on the 3 watches. 2 x 36mm Datejusts in TT jubilee, yellow gold, fluted bezel & diamond markers. One dial In white & the other in silver. I also tried on the 31mm exactly the same configuration as the 36mm’s but with the silver dial.

It was a no brainer I’ve come away with my 1st ever Rolex in the 31mm. I know it’s a cliched configuration, but I wanted my 1st & possibly only Rolex to be timeless. I just want to say, it’s stunning! I know buying brand new from AD is foolish £££ wise but I wanted the pretty woman experience ie champers et al & made to feel a million dollars.

I’m now sitting in Manchester airport waiting to fly home with my new watch proudly sitting atop my wrist.

Thanks for all your input. I’m proud to say I’ve just officially joined the Rolex club.
Congratulations! It really is a timeless classic, a beautiful watch.
Marlboro. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 04:47 AM   #86
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasubo View Post
Is it just me, but I don’t see any watch in these pics....
I didn't see any watch pics either, haha
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 04:54 AM   #87
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
It’s a lifetime experience. You did your homework and made the right decision! Congratulations!!!
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 05:37 AM   #88
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Congrats. Great choice.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 06:02 AM   #89
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Outstanding.
I would say you made the right choice
Old 16 April 2019, 09:34 AM   #90
LadyMuck
"TRF" Member

Trying to post a pic but I apparently need to of made 10 posts to share the link of pic.