The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2019, 10:14 AM   #1
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
An Ode to the Pelagos: A Plea to Tudor

I've owned a Pelagos LHD for about a year and a half now, and I appreciate it more all the time. It was clear that Tudor designed this to be their "best" watch. It's obviously not their money-maker, but their designers did everything they could to make this piece special. They gave it their most technical bezel - a beautiful matte, ceramic with lume that feels glorious to twist. It even has a deeper detente at the top so you can click it into place in the dark and know you have it lined up correctly. They gave it their best bracelet, with an ingenious spring system that allows the band to expand and contract on your wrist automatically. They even made it out of their most technical and difficult-to-work material - titanium. I know titanium can be controversial on a watch, but it’s used purposefully here. It makes a watch that would be big and cumbersome in steel disappear on the wrist.

The dial itself is just wonderful in its execution. It’s simple, matte black, tons of lume, and square indices. If you were to rank watches by legibility, the Pelagos would have to rank way, way up towards the top.

In short, I love the watch. It’s comfortable on the wrist, extremely legible, it just feels like something the watchmaker would have been proud to make…which is why I’m so annoyed that Tudor hasn’t done much with it. It seems like they’re going to focus on the Black Bay line almost entirely moving forward. I like Black Bays. I own the GMT, but I don’t think you can credibly argue that the Black Bay is a better watch than the Pelagos. The aesthetics may appeal to more, and the size of the BB58 may be more comfortable, but the quality of the Pelagos, from bezel to bracelet, stands above the Black Bay line.

I was really hoping that Tudor would release a 39mm Pelagos in steel at Baselworld this year. It would wear like a 40mm due to the overhang of the bezel, and the smaller size would make the use of titanium unnecessary. If you were to drop the water resistance to 200m you could get rid of the helium escape valve, and it would truly represent a modern Tudor Sub.

Oh well. Maybe next year! Here are some pics just for fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pelagos.jpg (245.1 KB, 1821 views)
File Type: jpg Tudor 2.jpg (217.4 KB, 1812 views)
File Type: jpg Tudor 3.jpg (251.4 KB, 1807 views)
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 10:32 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Just FWIW I dont want them to. Wouldnt mind if they killed the model altogether so mine can appreciate and stop depreciating. ��

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 10:41 AM   #3
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
Say hello to BB58!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10 April 2019, 10:43 AM   #4
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Just FWIW I dont want them to. Wouldnt mind if they milled the model altogether so mine can appreciate and stop depreciating. ��
What do you mean by milled? Discontinue it? If so, would discontinuing it actually cause it to appreciate? I don't know if it would have the same rolex effect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 10:43 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeko View Post
What do you mean by milled? Discontinue it? If so, would discontinuing it actually cause it to appreciate? I don't know if it would have the same rolex effect.

Killed. Typo.

I have a blue dial, I assure you over time it is going up.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 11:11 AM   #6
RolexDad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
That would essentially be a true snowflake sub, which is what WE ALL want. The 39mm fifty-eight is the closest thing we’ve got for now. Tudor knows we want this, they are just playing it slow to build the brand.
RolexDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 11:16 AM   #7
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarer View Post
Say hello to BB58!
I love the 58! It's a great watch. I just wish they made a "Pelagos 58" too.
Old 10 April 2019, 11:17 AM   #8
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Killed. Typo.

I have a blue dial, I assure you over time it is going up.
I also have the blue dial pelagos and it's a beautiful watch. I agree with the OP that it's technically superior to the black Bay; aesthetics aside the pelagos was the better watch when I compared them both in person.

I think the majority of watch wearers normally look for the watch that can do everything and that's why most go with the black bay.

Do you think they'll ever discontinue the pelagos? Maybe rebrand it as a new submariner?

reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 11:45 AM   #9
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Nice write up. I don’t own one but do admire it quite a bit.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 12:01 PM   #10
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just FWIW I dont want them to. Wouldnt mind if they killed the model altogether so mine can appreciate and stop depreciating. ��
I certainly hope they don’t! If nothing else, Tudors decision to chamfer the bottom of the GMT’s case, and to make the BB58 shows a willingness to improve existing models instead of getting rid of lines.
Old 10 April 2019, 01:08 PM   #11
desmomini
"TRF" Member

I have a Pelagos, and note how much better the lume is than my Sub...truly a great tool watch, as many have said.

Curious, why do you wear an LHD on your left wrist?
desmomini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 01:43 PM   #12
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmomini View Post
I have a Pelagos, and note how much better the lume is than my Sub...truly a great tool watch, as many have said.

Curious, why do you wear an LHD on your left wrist?
I’ve always worn my watches on my left wrist. The crown actually acts like a nice ramp to help cuffs over the watch. It’s funny - I went to an AD to browse a few months after buying this watch. The sales person told me I “should NOT be wearing the watch on my left wrist. It’s meant to be worn on the right.” He actually seemed upset with me. Does anyone actually access the crown while wearing a watch? I’ve always taken watches off to change the date or wind the crown. When it’s off, it doesn’t matter which side of the case the stem is on...
Old 10 April 2019, 02:02 PM   #13
Alimamy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060;124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
I’ve always worn my watches on my left wrist. The crown actually acts like a nice ramp to help cuffs over the watch. It’s funny - I went to an AD to browse a few months after buying this watch. The sales person told me I “should NOT be wearing the watch on my left wrist. It’s meant to be worn on the right.” He actually seemed upset with me. Does anyone actually access the crown while wearing a watch? I’ve always taken watches off to change the date or wind the crown. When it’s off, it doesn’t matter which side of the case the stem is on...
Odd. I thought the idea for the LHD crown placement was to ensure that it does not dig into your hand when worn on the left wrist.
Alimamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 03:52 PM   #14
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
Fully agree with the OP. Pelagos my favourite Tudor by a country mile, and some. Which is saying something as I’m fond of the GMT.
Old 10 April 2019, 06:13 PM   #15
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Pelagos is an amzing watch. If they make 40mm or 39mm size will be great fit for many too.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 06:49 PM   #16
Totoro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PloProf
I have a lot of love for the Pelagos. In fact it's the only Tudor I like.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 09:11 PM   #17
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own bothe the LHD and the Blue Pelagos and can not say enough good things about them. Very wearer friendly and chould be a one and only depending on what you want. I also own a Rolex SD43 and the LHD goes straight up with it on wrist time. I was hoping for a Green Pelagos at Basel 19 to add to the collection. I can always hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181129_102258 (002).jpg (150.7 KB, 1437 views)
File Type: jpg 20181219_195342 (002).jpg (270.8 KB, 1431 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 10:19 PM   #18
Howlerbro
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimamy View Post
Odd. I thought the idea for the LHD crown placement was to ensure that it does not dig into your hand when worn on the left wrist.
I think the LHD was meant to be an homage to the Tudor subs that the french military divers used to wear. Tudor made some specifically for lefties, worn on the right wrist, so that the divers didn't have to wear them upside down on the incorrect wrist...I seem to recall reading that somewhere. Love mine and think that the vintagey lume goes particularly well with the matte dial and chamfered face
Howlerbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 10:21 PM   #19
Howlerbro
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR GMT II
Quote:
I always take mine off to set/wind when needed. I actually flip mine upside down so that the crown is on the 'correct' side...otherwise it'd probably take me way too long to set this thing with my left hand. Does not compute with my brain
Howlerbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 10:26 PM   #20
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Great watch for sure. I bounce back and forth between the Pelagos and BB as far as which I prefer but these days I've definitely been leaning Pelagos and plan to add the blue.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 11:09 PM   #21
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I agree with almost everything you were saying regarding the attributes. It is one of my absolute favorites, and then unbelievable value. All that said, I completely disagree with your sentiment of wanting to have more variations. Personally, I feel like it is the Deepsea of the Tudor brand! It is the most capable, and the ultimate dive watch. Black and blue variations are enough, and I see leave it alone so it is more special.
Maybe a limited edition or three over time, but I wouldn’t want to see it turn it to the Black Bay and become more of a fashion piece.
Old 10 April 2019, 11:58 PM   #22
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Most sales people know very little, they begin to make stuff up.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2019, 08:14 AM   #23
Mithrilbike
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos Blue
I have a Blue Pelagos incoming actually, Tuesday. I tried it on at an AD a week ago. Love the blue color, the bezel action, the 70 hour power reserve. I gave up on Rolexes from the AD. It is almost too big but the lightness of the titanium and the lack of a solid end link helped it feel ok on my wrist. It is a bit bulky though. Absolutely great value IMO.
Mithrilbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2019, 08:25 AM   #24
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Love the Pelagos, especially in blue. I just don’t need another diver because I already have the BBB, sub date, and a seiko. I do like the size as is, even though my wrists are small. Nothing wrong with adding more options for people who have different preferences though

AOW
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2019, 10:43 AM   #25
skhan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next one
I’m keenly interested in the Pelagos, but suspect it’s too large for my 17.5 cm wrist.
skhan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2019, 03:54 PM   #26
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhan007 View Post
I’m keenly interested in the Pelagos, but suspect it’s too large for my 17.5 cm wrist.
Due to its hang down lug, Pelago fits well on my 16.5cm (6.5”) wrist. Do give it a try. ;)
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2019, 07:38 PM   #27
skyseadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhan007 View Post
i have a 17,5 cm wrist and it fits like a glove , love that watch its my go to when i know i want to either fly under the radar, ride my motorcycle, need a watch that can handle tougher things , and the gunmetal titanium looks awesome and doesn't weigh a ton
skyseadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2019, 10:14 PM   #28
GBD
"TRF" Member

I think the Pelagos is the best diver in the Rolex/Tudor current catalog, and found the Pelagos micro-adjust to be superior to glide-lock. I'd also love to see a smaller size!
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2019, 10:36 PM   #29
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I really like the depth the dial has along with the matte finish. To me, this is the star in their diver collection.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 12:22 AM   #30
A-Wax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBD View Post
I think the Pelagos is the best diver in the Rolex/Tudor current catalog, and found the Pelagos micro-adjust to be superior to glide-lock. I'd also love to see a smaller size!
Couldn't agree more! I was wishing on a 40mm version at this year's Baselworld, but since it didn't happen I'm thinking of just caving and getting the current version in black, in-house movement. It's an amazing piece.
A-Wax is offline   Reply With Quote