The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2019, 08:12 AM   #1
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Ap wear and tear

This ones for all my royal oak owners out there. I caught the big at the vegas boutique in February and ordered the new 15500 ref. Question is. How do they wear as far as knicks and scratches. Are they magnets or are they pretty tough like rolex ss. More curious about the bevels than anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albusdabbledore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 08:27 AM   #2
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
Good question, I am also curious about this. If anyone can please also provide photo evidence. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 09:51 AM   #3
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albusdabbledore View Post
This ones for all my royal oak owners out there. I caught the big at the vegas boutique in February and ordered the new 15500 ref. Question is. How do they wear as far as knicks and scratches. Are they magnets or are they pretty tough like rolex ss. More curious about the bevels than anything

As far as nicks and scratches, they are prone to those, if you don’t have a good sense of wrist presence. Same with Rolex. I don’t think Rolex are particularly resistant to nicks and scratches, especially their PCL models and polished slab sides. I say this as a former BLNR owner.

I suppose the fluted bezels might hide nicks and scratches better than Royal Oak bezels, though. But I personally greatly prefer the brushed RO bezel to the Rolex fluted bezels.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 09:54 AM   #4
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
As far as nicks and scratches, they are prone to those, if you don’t have a good sense of wrist presence. Same with Rolex. I don’t think Rolex are particularly resistant to nicks and scratches, especially their PCL models and polished slab sides. I say this as a former BLNR owner.

I suppose the fluted bezels might hide nicks and scratches better than Royal Oak bezels, though. But I personally greatly prefer the brushed RO bezel to the Rolex fluted bezels.

I currently daily a dd40 in rose gold. So I’ve been able to learn very good wrist awareness. Most of the time I don’t let it touch anything not even my clothing

Old 27 April 2019, 10:00 AM   #5
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Ap wear and tear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albusdabbledore View Post
I currently daily a dd40 in rose gold. So I’ve been able to learn very good wrist awareness. Most of the time I don’t let it touch anything not even my clothing

Then a RO will hold up really well. :-)

I’ve had my Jumbo for about 9 months without a scratch on it, but I don’t wear it as a daily watch. My BLNR was also babied and held up pretty well, but it did get microscratches from shirt sleeves over the two years I had it.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 10:02 AM   #6
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
The a RO will hold up really well. :-)

I’ve had my Jumbo for about 9 months without a scratch on it, but I don’t wear it as a daily watch. My BLNR was also babied and held up pretty well, but it did get microscratches from shirt sleeves over the two years I had it.

Admittedly I won’t be daily the ap but I’m sure that first month or two will see a LOT of use hahahah. Can anyone speak on the durability and accuracy of ap obviously this is an entirely new movemt so anything could happen but can it say hold up to a trip downtown Austin and someof those lime scooters or is it pretty susceptible to shocks?!

Old 27 April 2019, 10:21 AM   #7
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

I don't wear my royal oak daily but I think that the area where it could get the most drastic wear is on the bezel. Need to be careful with that.

There are some micro scratches on my bracelet but it still looks good. I think it is good idea to have "wrist awareness"

Be mindful if you are wearing it on a night out where you are drinking heavily ... well because you can imagine why.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 10:58 AM   #8
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
I got my 26331 a week ago, and I broke it in with this scratch playing with the dog. They do scratch up.

Old 27 April 2019, 11:01 AM   #9
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
I got my 26331 a week ago, and I broke it in with this scratch playing with the dog. They do scratch up.

I kinda felt like all the flat spots are a magnet

Old 27 April 2019, 11:35 AM   #10
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
They are absolutely scratch magnets

I am super careful but somehow they get scratched up especially the bezel and bracelet

Gotta go ceramic for royal oak
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 04:15 PM   #11
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
I don't wear my royal oak daily but I think that the area where it could get the most drastic wear is on the bezel. Need to be careful with that.

There are some micro scratches on my bracelet but it still looks good. I think it is good idea to have "wrist awareness"

Be mindful if you are wearing it on a night out where you are drinking heavily ... well because you can imagine why.
Good point. Hence I wear my ceramic AP on boozy nights - so easy to knock.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 04:21 PM   #12
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I believe my RO is just as tough as any of my Rolex. With that said, its referred to as a scratch magnet because scratches and marks just show much more easily on the RO due to the finishing.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 04:23 PM   #13
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
I believe my RO is just as tough as any of my Rolex. With that said, its referred to as a scratch magnet because scratches and marks just show much more easily on the RO due to the finishing.

Luckily I’m trained in the ways of gold timepieces so I’m very careful but I won’t lie when I do have a desk bump it’s normally on the bezel. So I’m gonna have to work on that. Bc that fluted bezel can hide and the crystal has that little space. But not on a ro

Old 28 April 2019, 06:04 AM   #14
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Wear my diver everyday that has very similar case finishing to the RO. Under magnification there are some scratches and dings but at normal viewing distance as a whole it still looks pretty much perfect.

Obviously being on rubber, it’s mostly immune to scraping damage on the underside aside from the buckle, but even that’s holding up very well.

Scratch magnet is an interesting term which gets used - same as ‘beater’ watches. Everyone has their own subjective opinion of what constitutes both.

AP has an incredible level of finishing so under close inspection marks will be visible, but as a whole it keeps on looking good !

Regarding robustness and accuracy - keeps fantastic time, and I wear for almost everything apart from the gym and it hasn’t missed a beat.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 09:15 AM   #15
bund
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Wear my diver everyday that has very similar case finishing to the RO. Under magnification there are some scratches and dings but at normal viewing distance as a whole it still looks pretty much perfect.

Obviously being on rubber, it’s mostly immune to scraping damage on the underside aside from the buckle, but even that’s holding up very well.

Scratch magnet is an interesting term which gets used - same as ‘beater’ watches. Everyone has their own subjective opinion of what constitutes both.

AP has an incredible level of finishing so under close inspection marks will be visible, but as a whole it keeps on looking good !

Regarding robustness and accuracy - keeps fantastic time, and I wear for almost everything apart from the gym and it hasn’t missed a beat.

That looks really good for daily wear!

bund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 06:03 PM   #16
Uros
"TRF" Member

Had my 42mm all steel offshore as almost daily and it had few nasty marks, bezel is most prone to scratches so have to be careful. Jumbo is not daily but also due to smaller size no issues so far its as good as new.

No problem with movements.

Wear it enjoy it! You can always replace bezel/polish it and voila good as new...

Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 06:38 PM   #17
Roccio
"TRF" Member

Depends on how you wear the watch. I'd say it's pretty comparable to a jubilee dj. Just harder to polish the scratches out if you ever get some nasty ones.
Roccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 08:33 PM   #18
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
The only difference for me was the superbly polished bezel...it scratched very easily. On jacket or shirt cuffs. The rest of the case was fine, but I continually found swirls and hairlines on the polished portion of the bezel.....thats why I eventually sold it and bought a 26400 SS with the ceramic bezel!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 04:47 AM   #19
gsg
"TRF" Member

Royal Oaks scratch just by looking at them. Same as any other Rolex or metal watch, really. But I don't care, I wear and enjoy.
Scratches show even more on a royal oak due to the flat metal bezel as opposed to ceramic in a Rolex.
gsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 04:50 AM   #20
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Awesome guys more than anything just curious. Obviously anything being worn is going to show and the real key is to enjoy it in good health

Old 29 April 2019, 06:16 AM   #21
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Just like any other finely finished piece of stainless steel with sharp edges. They hide minor wear pretty well however.
Old 29 April 2019, 06:57 AM   #22
Jp28
"TRF" Member

They are not good.
But go in with your eyes open to that, the you are ok. Choices are just wear like ‘notmal’ and know you pay for a refinish down the line or be really careful.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote