The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 July 2019, 05:36 AM   #1
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / AP
Opinions on my First Rolex Early 16800

Hey guys, i'm not a watch guy, just recently got into a watches, being a Porsche fanatic a few months ago i bought a new Heuer Monaco Gulf Edition, love it but i have small wrists and it feels a just a bit cumbersome-

Wanted something vintage but could also wear daily and not feel like i need to take off every time i came home and wanted to relax, did some research and decided on a 16800 Matte Dial.

Friend of a friend happened to be selling the particular watch with the right patina i wanted, he's a dealer w a great reputation online M&B watches in Dallas ..he overnighted me the watch to try on with no obligation to buy it.

Watch got here and i literally love it love love it..fits perfect and i absolutely love the leather strap its on.

The watch was just serviced by their in house watch maker & came with a period correct box but no bracelet or papers, i don't care about the bracelet because i don't wear them, but i do understand it effects the value down the road.

The asking price was $10k but i got a nice friends and family discount though and didn't pay that.

I really love the way this particular watch aged, the Patina is spectacular IMO and the case still has sharp edges and isn't overly polished from what i can tell.

Let me know your opinions as i'm new to all this, thanks
Tarek307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 09:35 AM   #2
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

was my first post so i guess pics didn't show up! here they are
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6fRHzt7.jpg (67.4 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg W76yKzt.jpg (87.2 KB, 321 views)
Old 13 July 2019, 10:54 AM   #3
Glosstritium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek307 View Post
was my first post so i guess pics didn't show up! here they are
Very nice, wear in good health...

But the insert is a later insert for the 16800 transitional gloss dial starting in 1984...

The datewheel is a later service 16610 and suppose to be a silver or off white open 6 and 9...

And of course I don't see the oyster bracelet, did it come with it? Does the date code match and is the end links 593 a flat top 3?

What did you pay? Just curious...
Glosstritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosstritium View Post

But the insert is a later insert for the 16800 transitional gloss dial starting in 1984...

The datewheel is a later service 16610 and suppose to be a silver or off white open 6 and 9...

And of course I don't see the oyster bracelet, did it come with it? Does the date code match and is the end links 593 a flat top 3?

You must have not read the post at all lol. The dial is a matte dial not a gloss dial. The watch did not come with a bracelet and i paid less than asking price of 10k by a pretty good amount
Old 13 July 2019, 11:07 AM   #5
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The dial is a matte dial not a gloss dial (maybe pic is a bit glossy) . No bracelet as i mentioned in the post -

They were asking 10k gave me 15% off rite off the top, compared to what else i saw on the market i'm pretty happy, the patina is what does it for me and that matte dial is so sexy!
Old 13 July 2019, 11:14 AM   #6
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Dial is matte- is that what you are talking about? what is the insert something different?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pqiemzO.jpg (189.4 KB, 319 views)
Old 13 July 2019, 03:20 PM   #7
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
The insert is the black aluminum ring with the numbers on the rotating bezel. Those are often replaced when they are sent in for service but Vintage watch people treasure the faded look and originality much more than pristine condition examples. Vintage is a whole other area. Very nice watch and a nice patina on the hands and lume dots, the case looks very nice too. Beautiful.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 03:41 PM   #8
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
The insert is the black aluminum ring with the numbers on the rotating bezel. Those are often replaced when they are sent in for service but Vintage watch people treasure the faded look and originality much more than pristine condition examples. Vintage is a whole other area. Very nice watch and a nice patina on the hands and lume dots, the case looks very nice too. Beautiful.
Thanks man, what i was after was a clean looking case, nice patina on the dial and lumes and a trusted seller- So i'm happy with it- Not real worried about the insert thing, it does look a little vintage doesn't look brand new so it matches the watch fine
Old 13 July 2019, 10:37 PM   #9
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Very nice patina. The matte dial with sapphire is always an interesting combo.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 11:42 PM   #10
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Very nice hand and dial patina. If the pearl matched it would bring it all together nicely. Not sure about that date wheel too. Not only is it a closed 9, but it looks awfully small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 02:40 AM   #11
Glosstritium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Very nice hand and dial patina. If the pearl matched it would bring it all together nicely. Not sure about that date wheel too. Not only is it a closed 9, but it looks awfully small.

Possibly also the crystal is aftermarket since the magnification is weak, we already know the datewheel is incorrect...
Glosstritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 06:11 AM   #12
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

So is it normal that the date wheel was changed due to servicing sometime in its life?
Old 14 July 2019, 06:30 AM   #13
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek307 View Post
So is it normal that the date wheel was changed due to servicing sometime in its life?
Rolex will recommend replacement of anything that doesn't meet their aesthetic standards. When a watch is relatively new, often an owner will simply agree to these recommendations, since he is not really thinking about the watch as something that will be collectible far in the future. So yes, it's fairly normal to find replaced hands, bezel insert, date wheel, etc. That's why watches in original condition are rare and desirable.
Old 14 July 2019, 04:34 PM   #14
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@Tarek307
Buying a vintage watch isn’t easy. It’s important to “question” every potential acquisition...really interrogate the timepiece, if you will. One approach is to list all the deviations the watch currently embodies compared to how it originally left the factory or retail shop. Some deviations can be expected and rectified; too many deviations can be a red flag.
——————
IG: @onthedial

onthedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 06:30 PM   #15
Woody
"TRF" Member

Looks like a great watch to me and a good buy for your first venture into vintage Rolex. The date wheel and bezel insert can always be replaced at a later date (should you wish to do so) and a bracelet sourced.......but the important thing is that you have a very strong case and a dial and matching handset with great patina. I am sure that you will have many years of good service and enjoyment from this Sub. Congratulations.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 06:32 PM   #16
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Thanks dnc09c you are rite lol, i don't wanna start doubting my choice here lol. I think for what i paid, having a serviced newer date wheel & insert aren't a big deal, i don't see any matte dial ones in even close to comparable condition under $8000, cheapest ones being in the $6500 range and look like turds put together.
Old 14 July 2019, 06:32 PM   #17
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Looks like a great watch to me and a good buy for your first venture into vintage Rolex. The date wheel and bezel insert can always be replaced at a later date (should you wish to do so) and a bracelet sourced.......but the important thing is that you have a very strong case and a dial and matching handset with great patina. I am sure that you will have many years of good service and enjoyment from this Sub. Congratulations.

Thanks Woody , appreciate the compliment- best part is i dont think i'll ever worry about a bracelet, they are not my style, i'm a leather strap guy
Old 15 July 2019, 01:28 AM   #18
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Looks like a very nice example and a great price. I wouldn't worry at all about a replaced date wheel or insert - many of these vintage Rolex watches have had those parts replaced.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 02:04 AM   #19
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Congratulations on a great pick up , I have a 16800 & it's one of my favourites .And as others have already posted , you can always change the date wheel & insert at a later date . But you have a great case & lovely matching dial & handset, which are the things that really matter & I really hope you get as much enjoyment from wearing yours as I do from mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (177.5 KB, 182 views)
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 03:28 AM   #20
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
Congratulations on a great pick up , I have a 16800 & it's one of my favourites .And as others have already posted , you can always change the date wheel & insert at a later date . But you have a great case & lovely matching dial & handset, which are the things that really matter & I really hope you get as much enjoyment from wearing yours as I do from mine
Thanks CPR...and u had to trade me with that open 6 in your pic ?? Hahaha
Old 15 July 2019, 04:15 AM   #21
cardiel
"TRF" Member

Looks like a very nice example and a great price. I wouldn't worry at all about a replaced date wheel or insert - many of these vintage Rolex watches have had those parts replaced.

this!!
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2019, 12:01 PM   #22
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Nice watch, I love the 16800 as it has the vintage look but a quickset movement. Congrats!

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 03:28 AM   #23
Tarek307
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
Nice watch, I love the 16800 as it has the vintage look but a quickset movement. Congrats!

I do as well, thing i like the most about it is that i can wear it daily, i'm actually selling all my other watches (Heuer Monaco / 2 Modern Carrera Tag) but maybe keeping my 1970s vintage Heuer Montreal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qHM6crT.jpg (171.3 KB, 107 views)