The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 July 2019, 01:52 PM   #1
rkem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,JLC,PAM
AP Royal Oak Offshore Diver Chrono Reliability

I have been looking into purchasing a new AP Offshore diver Chrono (LE 26703 range) . This would be my first AP. I sent a message to another forum member asking about the reliability of this watch. He replied that their can be a problem with the chrono module. He also stated to post this to get other opinions.

1) Has anyone who owned this watch had any problems?

2) What is a Module? Is this the same as the movement?

3) Does AP make the movement?

4) Is the regular AP Diver non-chrono more reliable?

5) Does the watch have to be serviced every 5 years?($1500.00?)

5) I think the service center is in Clear Water, Fl
Are they difficult to deal with?

Thanks in advance
rkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 02:27 PM   #2
WWC
"TRF" Member

If your set for the Chronos then take the FP 1185 (2385) found on the RO line. Much more reliable than the ones found on the ROO.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Cosmograph DAYTONA 116520 | DEEPSEA 126660 | Explorer 214270 | GMT Master II BLRO 16710 | GMT Master II VTNR 126720 | Submariner LV 16610 | Sky-Dweller 326139 | Prince Oysterdate 90630
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 02:40 PM   #3
rkem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,JLC,PAM
What is an FP 1185 (2385)?
rkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 06:16 PM   #4
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkem View Post

1) Has anyone who owned this watch had any problems?

2) What is a Module? Is this the same as the movement?

3) Does AP make the movement?

4) Is the regular AP Diver non-chrono more reliable?

5) Does the watch have to be serviced every 5 years?($1500.00?)

6) I think the service center is in Clear Water, Fl
Are they difficult to deal with?
A module is a complication that is added to a base, most typically because the manufacturer doesn’t make their own. Can be a chronograph, moonphase, annual or perpetual calendar.
A movement is the complete engine of a watch, whether a fully integrated one or an ebauche (kit) which the manufacturer assembles themselves, after decorating/finishing to make it nice and pretty looking, depending on price point/market segment they’re catering for.

AP makes their own calibers, and the 3124 (as fitted to the 26703) is a variant of the 3126 used in all other ROOCs (42mm and 44mm alike).

The Diver is typically more reliable – less parts and just a basic 3120 time and date caliber.

Watches need servicing when you feel they do or display symptoms that they do. Some people will do it at regular intervals, no matter what, others will wait until the watch isn’t performing as well as it normally used to – that could 3 years, 5 years, or 15 years, depending on how often it’s worn.
The most important aspect is seal integrity, preventing moisture from entering – so having it checked every couple of years (from new) to annually (when it’s older and hasn’t been serviced yet), is the best thing to do.

APSC in Florida have a very good reputation, and are very easy to deal with, normally.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 06:25 PM   #5
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkem View Post
What is an FP 1185 (2385)?
Frederic Piguet (not related), owned by Swatch Group as Blancpain’s movement division. Their integrated chronograph movement is widely regarded and was used by Vacheron Constantin in the 2nd Gen Overseas, with their own big date module.
Still used by AP in the standard ROCs, but with the introduction of the Code, AP now has their own fully integrated chronograph movement, which over time will be used in the ROCs and ROOCs.
As it’s new, they’re probably using the Code models as real world test beds to see how well they perform, before ramping production up to meet the required number for other model ranges.
It’ll be years before that happens, partly due to contractual obligations too with both FP and DD.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 08:46 PM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
In my time here I have seen less issues with the ROC with FP cal, than on the ROO. The Diver is the safer bet if you are really worried about problems, but AP are good and efficient at dealing with problems, esp at Clearwater, so I would choose the model you like the most as they all have this back up.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 05:24 AM   #7
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I can only help with info on the regular diver - it’s been nothing but rock solid so far. It is also worn for pretty much everything I do.

Clearwater are excellent and their reco is to service every 5-6 years for the diver. Given the level of work involved for a full service the price is actually quite reasonable.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote