The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 August 2019, 10:42 AM   #31
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Perfect View Post
Very interesting looking piece.

Who are you having appraise the watch?
I'm not sure. If my local Rolex dealer doesn't know enough to feel comfortable signing an appraisal, I'm not quite sure where to turn. I know B.C. Clark in OKC has been around for over 120 years and they're an AD so I may try them next. My local dealer here couldn't even recommend anyone. I'm going to see if USAA will add it to our personal articles floater without an appraisal, at least for the time being until I can find a formal appraisal somewhere.
47Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 04:02 AM   #32
47Straight
"TRF" Member

I do have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could answer. Since my sister did not have the correct extra links for the bracelet, it is too small for me to wear. I asked my local AD about a new bracelet and they said they could order one.

The number they gave me was 20-78350-19.2

I asked them to order it almost 2 weeks ago. Called them on Friday and they still hadn't ordered it. I told them to wait and I'm going to see if the AD in Oklahoma City will order it. From what I have read, the newer bracelets are more secure than the older, expansion bracelets. I definitely want a secure bracelet so here's my thinking:

1. Order a new bracelet so that I can wear the watch. That would also help keep the original bracelet in better condition to protect the watch's value.

2. Might buy a nice leather strap as well for a more sporty look at times.

3. Over time, I'd like to try to find the correct, vintage links for the original bracelet as well.

So, I would love to hear any general input or advice about that thinking, but I also have some questions about replacing the original links.

As near as I can tell, the original Rolex rivet oyster bracelet was a 7205. Does that sound right?

It looks like they removed intermittent links to keep the taper of the band looking as smooth as possible. How do I know what size links I need?

Will having the original bracelet affect the value? Will it affect the value if I don't have all the links?

I've seen some 19mm 78350s, 7835s, & 7205s. If I were to buy one as a replacement band, instead of new, how do I know which end links I need? Can I use the original end links with any of those bracelets?

I'd really appreciate any help you can provide.
Old 26 August 2019, 09:15 AM   #33
Futuristic
Banned

Wear in in good health... Better off
Futuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 05:13 AM   #34
Butchh
"TRF" Member

Sorry about your loss...your dad was a man of very good taste! Now, get yourself a son you can leave it to!!! Welcome to the forum! You’ll be a WIS before you know it!!!
Butchh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 05:27 AM   #35
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your Dad. You have something very cool to remind you of him. The extra links shouldn’t be too hard to come by. Place a WTB here or over at the Vintage Rolex Market, good luck and welcome aboard.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 07:24 AM   #36
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Straight View Post
I do have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could answer. Since my sister did not have the correct extra links for the bracelet, it is too small for me to wear. I asked my local AD about a new bracelet and they said they could order one.

The number they gave me was 20-78350-19.2

I asked them to order it almost 2 weeks ago. Called them on Friday and they still hadn't ordered it. I told them to wait and I'm going to see if the AD in Oklahoma City will order it. From what I have read, the newer bracelets are more secure than the older, expansion bracelets. I definitely want a secure bracelet so here's my thinking:

1. Order a new bracelet so that I can wear the watch. That would also help keep the original bracelet in better condition to protect the watch's value.

2. Might buy a nice leather strap as well for a more sporty look at times.

3. Over time, I'd like to try to find the correct, vintage links for the original bracelet as well.

So, I would love to hear any general input or advice about that thinking, but I also have some questions about replacing the original links.

As near as I can tell, the original Rolex rivet oyster bracelet was a 7205. Does that sound right?

It looks like they removed intermittent links to keep the taper of the band looking as smooth as possible. How do I know what size links I need?

Will having the original bracelet affect the value? Will it affect the value if I don't have all the links?

I've seen some 19mm 78350s, 7835s, & 7205s. If I were to buy one as a replacement band, instead of new, how do I know which end links I need? Can I use the original end links with any of those bracelets?

I'd really appreciate any help you can provide.
All excellent ideas. Definitely get the leather strap. The original bracelet is a great thing to have even if it doesn't have all the links. Those can be sourced. As far as links, you might try Rolliworks, who are experts at refinishing and refurbishing watch cases and bracelets. If you can''t find what you are looking for on EBAY or Chrono24 then Michael may have a line on some original links for the bracelet or can probably make some given all the equipment they have. You can search Rolliworks on this forum for some examples of their work, and here too: rolliworks.com.
I just did a quick search on EBAY and saw several 7205 bracelets and even some extra links using search terms "rolex 7205 bracelet links".
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 07:33 AM   #37
Futuristic
Banned

Sorry for your loss... Anyways Congrats to your new gain!!
Futuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 07:49 AM   #38
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
I love stories like this, thanks for sharing and may the memories of your dad carry on forever !
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 09:20 AM   #39
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
All excellent ideas. Definitely get the leather strap. The original bracelet is a great thing to have even if it doesn't have all the links. Those can be sourced. As far as links, you might try Rolliworks, who are experts at refinishing and refurbishing watch cases and bracelets. If you can''t find what you are looking for on EBAY or Chrono24 then Michael may have a line on some original links for the bracelet or can probably make some given all the equipment they have. You can search Rolliworks on this forum for some examples of their work, and here too: rolliworks.com.
I just did a quick search on EBAY and saw several 7205 bracelets and even some extra links using search terms "rolex 7205 bracelet links".
Thanks for the help. I just ordered a new 78350 bracelet for it. I'll try some of those suggestions for the links. Trying to decide on a strap or two as well.
Old 27 August 2019, 09:21 AM   #40
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post
I love stories like this, thanks for sharing and may the memories of your dad carry on forever !
Much thanks. Looking at your avatar, are you a BMW driver as well?
Old 27 August 2019, 09:22 AM   #41
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
Sorry to hear about your Dad. You have something very cool to remind you of him. The extra links shouldn’t be too hard to come by. Place a WTB here or over at the Vintage Rolex Market, good luck and welcome aboard.
Much thanks. I'll give that a try as well. Is there any information out there that will tell me what width links the original bracelet had so I can decipher which links I'm looking for?
Old 27 August 2019, 10:02 AM   #42
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Much thanks. Looking at your avatar, are you a BMW driver as well?
no, vintage Corvette, C2, '67 BB

BTW, I inherited my great grandfathers 1888, Waltham Appleton Tracy, full 'hunting case' SG pocket watch, it's the jewel of my collection !
Old 27 August 2019, 10:10 AM   #43
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post
no, vintage Corvette, C2, '67 BB

BTW, I inherited my great grandfathers 1888, Waltham Appleton Tracy, full 'hunting case' SG pocket watch, it's the jewel of my collection !
I didn't know that vintage Corvettes had a reverse gear up and left. I haven't driven everything there is to drive, but I've only seen that before on BMWs.

I have to admit that I had to google the pocket watch. Must be a beautiful piece. The examples I saw definitely were.
Old 27 August 2019, 10:15 AM   #44
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't know that vintage Corvettes had a reverse gear up and left. I haven't driven everything there is to drive, but I've only seen that before on BMWs.
they don't, M21 4 speed, reverse up and left. My 2012 Grand Sport though was a six speed.
Old 29 August 2019, 08:52 PM   #45
catmanmorgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Lovely story.. big congrats to you and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
catmanmorgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 03:27 AM   #46
47Straight
"TRF" Member

So, in my quest to get a new bracelet for it, I have run into a couple of challenges:

1. The Rolex dealer in OKC said they can order a new 20-78350-19.2 bracelet for the watch, but they are concerned about it being an exact fit and want me to bring the watch in before they will order it. It's only a 2 hour drive, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to OKC to make that happen.

2. So I talked with my local Rolex dealer, who had originally said they could order it. Now they are saying that they can't order it though parts, but will have to order it through Rolex service. Rolex service is telling my local AD that I have to send them the watch before they will order it. Sorry, but I'm not going to send my Dad's watch to Dallas. I would have to insure it for $50,000 and I might as well put a "please steal me" sticker on the box.

So, I'm considering purchasing a used bracelet. The bracelet on the watch is an Oyster Rivet expanding made by C&I in 7/66. That's the only information I can find on it. From the research I've done, the vintage band for this watch would be either a 6635 (expanding) or 7205 (non-expanding) with 71 end links.

I've seen several of both on ebay and internet vintage dealers. The 7205s seem to run between $500 & $1000. The 6635s seem to run between $1000 and $3200.

I'd actually prefer a non expanding version. That being said, is there a way I can be reasonably certain the bracelet isn't a fake?

Also, is there anyone who can tell me specifically if a 7835 or 78350 will fit a 6238 Pre-Daytona?

Lastly, would there be a big fitment issue between 71, 60 or 57 end links? Could I used the end links that are on the original band?

Any additional info or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 4 September 2019, 03:37 AM   #47
Rollied
2024 Pledge Member

Here’s a pretty informative thread regarding bracelets, hope it helps!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=73646
Rollied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:59 AM   #48
47Straight
"TRF" Member

Ok, so at this point, I've contacted my location Authorized Dealer, an AD in Oklahoma City, an AD in Kansas City, and the Rolex Service Center in Dallas. None of them will give me a signed appraisal on my 6238.

Would the good members of this board be able to recommend my next course of action? I need to find someone trustworthy, relatively close to Wichita, KS. that will do a written appraisal on the watch. I'd rather not ship the watch. I'm willing to drive to Oklahoma City, Kansas City or even Dallas. I'm just not sure where to start. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 7 September 2019, 09:16 AM   #49
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Philip and Robert Ridley are in Arlington, TX, and you couldn’t find much better.
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 12:37 AM   #50
descartes
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. You have inherited one of the great vintage references. A special and historical piece. Looks to be in nice original condition too.
Old 9 September 2019, 10:41 PM   #51
Mr Perfect
Banned

Watch: IC Title
Quote:
Ok, so at this point, I've contacted my location Authorized Dealer, an AD in Oklahoma City, an AD in Kansas City, and the Rolex Service Center in Dallas. None of them will give me a signed appraisal on my 6238.

Would the good members of this board be able to recommend my next course of action? I need to find someone trustworthy, relatively close to Wichita, KS. that will do a written appraisal on the watch. I'd rather not ship the watch. I'm willing to drive to Oklahoma City, Kansas City or even Dallas. I'm just not sure where to start. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I doubt you'll find anywhere willing to sign a written appraisal on that watch.

You may wish to consider contacting one of the major auction houses for their advice.
Mr Perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 05:14 PM   #52
SC1966
"TRF" Member

Sweet watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SC1966 is offline   Reply With Quote